OFFICIAL Web, UWP, Mobile targets available - Beta Newsletter #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
(copied from original blog post: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/408)

Hello everybody! This is our 4th newsletter covering all of the ongoing developments surrounding the GameMaker Studio 2 Beta.

Mobile, Web and UWP available
We're happy to announce that our latest release brings the Mobile, Web and UWP targets to public beta. You can now get immediate access to these platforms by purchasing early in the same way as with the Desktop beta, log in to your YoYo Account to do so. It's worth mentioning that the previous discounts available to owners of GameMaker Studio 1.x also still apply to these products, as detailed on the page linked above.

You will need to make sure you update your GameMaker Studio 2 IDE to the latest version before using these new targets. We've spent a long time testing these targets but some bugs and issues may remain so please remain vigilant in reporting all issues.

We have prepared a number of guides on setting up the new targets with their various required settings and SDKs. Here are some links to the appropriate help desk sections to get you started:

Version 2.0.4.64
We've also been hard at work on GameMaker Studio 2 and going over your feedback (for which we thank you and highly encourage you to keep filling out the beta surveys and discussing GMS2 on our forums!) and this new version fixes a number of different bugs and introduces some new changes based on feedback.

The help manual will now load in the IDE by default rather than in an external browser (this can still be changed via preferences as before, we've just flipped the default for fresh installs).

We've also built a new feature into the room editor that allows you to build a TileMap directly from a .png image. This automatically creates a tileset, removes duplicates and mirrors, and uses it to create a tilemap in your room!

Create an image of your level in any art package and save as a .png. This can include transparency such as the image below:

And then import it to your room as follows:

The resulting tileset is optimised and duplicates removed, you can use it to modify or add to your project as with any other!

The full release notes for this version can be found here.

BetaJam 2

After the success of our first GameMaker Studio 2 Jam we're pleased to announce another opportunity to win some GameMaker swag. Build a game in just two weeks using GameMaker Studio 2 and submit it for a chance to win. We had some excellent entries before, which you can check out in this blog post.

The next competition will formally start and the theme will be announced one week from today, whereupon you will have two weeks to make the best game you can! Given that sharing the source code is a fundamental part of these competitions, it's possible to enter even using the free trial version of GMS2!

More details and full rules coming next week. Live now!

Last edited:

rIKmAN

I was just reading through the UWP documentation and noticed this:
IMPORTANT! Creating a UWP package for the XBox One platform requires you to submit for Concept Approval, which in turn requires you to have an ID@Xbox developer account. See here for more information: Concept Approval.
Does this mean you can't test your games on a retail XB1 in Dev Mode, and you have to have your concept approved via ID@Xbox to use this module on XB1?
I hope not, but hoping you could clarify.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
You can use your XB1 in Dev Mode for development but you cannot sell anything on the XB1 store without Concept Approval.

Russell

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Any speed improvements that can be shared with GMS1 will be

Russell

B

BlueLemming

I have GM:S 1 Master and bought GM:S 2 Desktop at the discounted upgrade price in December, but these new modules are showing as full price for me. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: Oh, I see. It shows full price but when I click on the module to upgrade then it shows me my options for discounts.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackquake

Regarding the Gamemaker 2 UWP bundle, it states you get:
- Windows 10 Desktop
- Windows 10 Mobile
- XBox One

I think I understand, but wanted verification, so please let me know if I understand correctly.

You have to set up Windows 10 Desktop in order to get UWP to work. However, by purchasing GameMaker 2 by itself, you already have the ability to create .exe's that run on Windows 10, right? If so, then I assume the UWP bundle really provides the ability to deploy on Windows 10 Mobile devices and XBox One.

Thank you in advance for confirming.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Regarding the Gamemaker 2 UWP bundle, it states you get:
- Windows 10 Desktop
- Windows 10 Mobile
- XBox One

I think I understand, but wanted verification, so please let me know if I understand correctly.

You have to set up Windows 10 Desktop in order to get UWP to work. However, by purchasing GameMaker 2 by itself, you already have the ability to create .exe's that run on Windows 10, right? If so, then I assume the UWP bundle really provides the ability to deploy on Windows 10 Mobile devices and XBox One.

Thank you in advance for confirming.
Well it lets you make a Universal Windows Platform app. By purchasing GMS2 Desktop you can make traditional windows desktop games but not stuff for the windows store across all three platforms for example. While a Desktop app and a UWP app both work on a windows 10 pc they're not strictly the same thing. But yes, mostly in that a Desktop game won't work on windows phones and xbox one while a UWP game will.

S

StuffandThings85

Is the upgrade discount only temporary? If so, do you know how long it will last?

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
It won't be permanent but it doesn't have a set end date yet. It will last for an indefinite period after the launch of GMS2.

A

Alarikun

With BetaJam 2 starting in just a few days, are we going to get more details (or an itch.io page) soon? Would like to participate in this one.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Glad to see HTML5 export released. Nice discount too, so I'll purchase this.

I hope the box2D error is fixed. In the last couple of Studio 1 releases, HTML5 exports failed when box2D physics was enabled. But this was fixed in the latest Studio 1 EA release. So I expect it's fixed in Studio 2 HTML5 as well.

COWCAT

Does the UWP version support Xbox Live functionalities? (Like achievements...)
Having a game branded as "Xbox live" gives *way* more visibility, but I couldn't do it with GMS 1.

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We already have XBox Live for the XBox One module and we are working on bringing that functionality over to UWP - it is a little more complex as not all games have access to all the XBox Live features (only the Open Live features can be used by everyone) and this is tricky to expose in a sensible manner, you can can only use the full set of features if your game goes through an acceptance process at Microsoft.

We are working on XBox Live for UWP though

Russell

L

LordFenixNC

We already have XBox Live for the XBox One module and we are working on bringing that functionality over to UWP - it is a little more complex as not all games have access to all the XBox Live features (only the Open Live features can be used by everyone) and this is tricky to expose in a sensible manner, you can can only use the full set of features if your game goes through an acceptance process at Microsoft.

We are working on XBox Live for UWP though

Russell
If I upgrade to GM2 UWP for $240 that should give me full GM2 and ability to export to any UWP platform. is the XB1 export module still free as long as accepted into the ID@xbox program? the Current GM2 UWP does support the more limited version of XB1 creators club?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I find it a bit odd that the only way now to support Windows Phone is through the UWP target. There should really be a standard, normal way of supporting Windows Phone, if you're going to support it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I find it a bit odd that the only way now to support Windows Phone is through the UWP target. There should really be a standard, normal way of supporting Windows Phone, if you're going to support it at all.
UWP is the standard, normal way of supporting Windows 10 phones for everyone now, not just GMS developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.