• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Ways to implement scaling text?

S

Stubby

For accessibility reasons, I've been trying to figure out how to implement scaling text in GMS2, text that can be any size and still look good. GMS only supports bitmap fonts, which are not friendly to scaling, and this is definitely a deal-breaker for me as accessibility is important to me, but GMS is awesome and I love using it so I've been trying to find a solution to this problem. After a few months of on-and-off attempting to implement it, I finally found a way to do it properly, although it's a very annoying and tedious way.

https://streamable.com/bb2nh

Using the text functionality in Flash and exporting to .swf and putting it in Game Maker, it gives you vector text, which will scale to any size and still looks great. Was very surprised it was that easy. An unexpected plus to this was I was also looking to implement Japanese language text, and with this method Japanese is supported, no need to do any tricks with Game Maker so long as you embed the font you want to use.

The only downsides to this I've found, and this is why I've made the thread, is I will have to manually add a sprite for every single character I want to use, and if the font_add_sprite functions don't work with this (very likely) I'll have to create my own functions for rendering text. This is going to be do-able for Japanese and English, 400 or so characters, but for something like Chinese this will be extremely terrible, and absolutely not preferable.

Before I actually spend the time, I wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestions for text that can scale to any size and still look good. Thanks