Asset - Demo Waves - 2D Water Simulation

DesArts

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/587/water-physics-simulation
Download Demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/385051928/Desix Studios/Assets/WAVES/Demo/Waves.zip

Dynamic fluid reacts to forces and impacts creating waves and ripples. Apply surface tension, spread and dampening to manipulate the physics. Change colours, apply textures, blend modes, and create custom splashes. Simulate water, oil, lava and more.

Use in 2D platformers, physics games, puzzle games and more.

Features:
  • Create liquid at any position and size.
  • Optimised and efficient.
  • Choose colour gradient, texture image, alpha, and blend mode.
  • Scale the waves to fit your desired game resolution.
  • Clean, consistent, and commented code.
  • Advanced collision functions to detect waves and interact.
  • Check exact y position of any wave.
  • React to an object's velocity on entrance or exit.
  • Realistic liquid behaviour.
  • Automatic bespoke waves that constantly give dynamic effect.
  • Change properties in real-time.
  • Customisable splash effect.
  • Use a tiled texture image as your liquid's body.
  • Full customer support.
  • Dynamic bubbles with custom attributes.
  • Simulated physics objects which can float or sink.
  • Suitable for beginners & experienced users.
Easy to implement for beginners and simple to customise.

No shaders.
No Box2D Physics.
No surfaces.

Last edited:

DesArts

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/587/fluid-physics-simulation

New branding. Huge under-the-hood improvements. Liquid will now work when placed into a room the natural way. Liquid's visuals are now tied to each liquid object rather than drawn by a controller object. Added 20+ more scripts and applied many more customisation options. New oil example.

When it all began: (sadly deleted now)
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=579414&hl=+liquid++physics

It's come a long way in over 3 years.

Last edited:

toxigames

Is there anyway to get rid of the jagged edge on the surface (other than anti-aliasing that is). For a mobile game you can't use anti-aliasing and if you are using HD graphics then this jagged surface will stand out.

DesArts

Is there anyway to get rid of the jagged edge on the surface (other than anti-aliasing that is). For a mobile game you can't use anti-aliasing and if you are using HD graphics then this jagged surface will stand out.
In the demo you can manipulate a lot of the liquid's many properties. 'Jitter' is one of these, it can be lowered to 0 and therefore removed.

DesArts

Hi there MusNik, you can discuss concerns via PM if you would like.

We can assure you nothing was stolen, or duplicated by intention - and we see it as very different to yours, and to clear the record our asset was first created years before yours. We will happily come to an agreement of what may need to change :)

Last edited:

MusNik

Hi there MusNik, you can discuss concerns via PM if you would like.

We can assure you nothing was stolen, or duplicated by intention - and we see it as very different to yours, and to clear the record our asset was first created years before yours. We will happily come to an agreement of what may need to change :)
Don't act like you didn't understand what I am talking about o_O

Your icon was different, more darker with another composition. And after you noticed my asset you made icon with colours of mine - white (with little blue) backround, black thin text and water below.
My icon:

Evolution of your icon:

1. kind of, can't find it
2. then (something simmilar, huh?)
3. now

Style of your previous videos was very different to current style:

But after I release my videos, you change the style of yours - even the same circle transitions and montage that belongs to all my videos:

I can continue the list, it can't be just coincidence, sorry.

You offer artist services, as I see, so why you can't design your own style? Why confuse customers?

Thank you for understanding and good luck with your assets!

DesArts

Hi there MusNik,
We see similarities due to the nature of our assets, but no evidence of deliberate copycat of any kind. We do not want to appear merged with any other content creator :)
Your comparisons bring up mere coincidences and images that are only identical in the fact that they both show blue water. You can see in the marketplace asset icon, the shapes and layout used for the liquid have not changed, only colour for simplification, and font to match our logo. Neither of which are the same as yours.

Circle transitions are not uncommon either, we are sorry you feel like that is a direct copy, we can assure it is not, it is inspired by many, many online videos, and the fact our logo is based on a circle it's self.
Regarding our past videos having a different style, they actually had no consistent style at all. The only consistency comes from the fact they feature the same asset.

You make some very amazing assets, apart from this one our approaches in terms of content & category are very different. There is no reason for us to copy you at all. We would have the same branding even if you weren't around.

We respect you a lot for what you bring to the marketplace and do not wish you to think your hard work is being duplicated.
Due to you bringing this up, we will take extra care in future developments to steer further away from your designs, however we have never and will never steal or copy your branding. We have our own style, logo, colour scheme, and assets - and you have yours.

Thankyou!

MusNik

Thank you for your response.

I wish I was wrong, but I just can't accept such many coincidences. I hope this will never happen again, thanks for understanding.

Your assets are awesome ;)

DesArts

Hi MusNik,
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and we can most certainly see it from your point of view. Apologies for making you feel that way!

Same to you brother, keep it up!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I removed a few posts. DesixStudios and MusNik have settled this amicably. There's no need for other members to keep the argument going.

N

nolbear

Hey! I really like this asset. It was very easy to implement into my game, but I'm having a slight issue with the surface not being drawn properly. For some reason the surface is not being stretched across the entire body of water (check the attached screenshot). Do you have any idea why this might be happening?

I also get an error when I try to transition from room to room while underwater. I assume this is because the engine is trying to access objects that are no longer there. Is there a way to remove instances from the system when I switch rooms so I don't keep getting these errors?

Here is the error message I get when leaving a room while underwater:
of Step Event0
for object objPhysics:

Variable <unknown_object>.<unknown variable>(100083, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Script_liquid_point_y_precise (line 15) - sx = clamp((argument1-argument0.x)/argument0.liquidnodewidth, 0 , argument0.liquidnodes-1);
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_liquid_point_y_precise (line 15)
called from - gml_Object_objPhysics_Step_0 (line 65) - bcy = liquid_calculate_object_buoyancy(liquid_point_y_precise(obj, x), 1, y+(height*0.3), ysp, density, height, grv, 1);

Attachments

DesArts

Hey! I really like this asset. It was very easy to implement into my game, but I'm having a slight issue with the surface not being drawn properly. For some reason the surface is not being stretched across the entire body of water (check the attached screenshot). Do you have any idea why this might be happening?
Hi! It's not possible for me to tell by only a screenshot, PM me with details such as how you create/draw the water. Same goes for the error, show me all the code where you call the liquid_point_y_precise script in PM. :)

DesArts

Okay, in case anyone else has the problem in the near future:

It arises due to the conversion to GMS2 and the use of views.
In the liquid_draw_surface script, rather than allowing it to calculate whether pos1 and pos2 are in the view:
Set pos1 to 0 and pos2 to (argument0.liquidnodes-1).
Alternatively, you can correct the script to correctly detect your camera edges for GMS2.

I'll be updating the asset to correct these issues properly for GMS2 soon.

D

davoid

This is awesome!

I am however experiencing a problem where having it in the same room as my GUI elements overwrites the text colour being drawn in the GUI. I'm probably doing the GUI incorrectly, so I'll see what I can do.

Nevermind, fixed! Was doing it wrong.

Am also finding that my character only causes the water surface to "break" if moving downward into the water, no upwards (if they say, jump up through). Will look into the physics interaction script to see if I can find a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

funkygallo

Hello to all buyers of this asset!

I have buyed the asset some days ago, and now I have a little problem.

Run the game using VM compiler.... all work fine.
But if I use with YCC this error crash the game as soon as the room is start.

I'm using GMS2 and Visual Studio Community 2015 with updates

Any hint?

############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object objPhysics:

REAL argument is unset
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
called from - gml_Script_liquid_point_y_precise (line 15)
called from - gml_Object_objPhysics_Step_0 (line 19)

funkygallo

Ok found the solution after some investigation in case someone has the same problem

I "fix" the objPhysics item adding a floor function

from
//collide with liquid
lqd = place_meeting(x, y, obj);​

to
//collide with liquid
lqd = floor(place_meeting(x, y, obj));​

DesArts

That doesn't seem correct. I'm not exactly sure what it could be cause I cant get any sort of error to occur with YYC. So I can only assume that some changes made to it in implementation do this but, honestly no clue.

Nothing I can find on my end, but if there are reproducible steps to create this bug starting from the raw asset - I can solve it.

Edit:

I seem to have mistakenly used "if (obj)" instead of "if (instance_exists(obj))" just before the place_meeting code, so that could definitely be it... maybe. I'll update the asset when I am able.

Last edited: