Asset - Extension Water Physics - GM Studio 2 and 1

This asset is amazing and has been working really great for me for some time now. I have however recently run into some performance problems when using a lot of water. The problem seems to come from "wp_rectangle_update_simulation", especially while trying to update it multiple times per frame. Probably not that strange as I'm trying to use so much water. But is there any convenient way of only updating parts of the simulation? Like only in and slightly around the view.

Dragon47

This asset is amazing and has been working really great for me for some time now. I have however recently run into some performance problems when using a lot of water. The problem seems to come from "wp_rectangle_update_simulation", especially while trying to update it multiple times per frame. Probably not that strange as I'm trying to use so much water. But is there any convenient way of only updating parts of the simulation? Like only in and slightly around the view.
Thank you. It's not a built-in feature, but it's possible if you study the code. You're on the right track with the idea; that's a good way of doing it in a large-scale world.

Yal

GMC Memer
GMC Elder
But is there any convenient way of only updating parts of the simulation? Like only in and slightly around the view.
Deactivating any objects outside the view? It temporarily makes them not exist. (It's usually the best to run deactivation in an alarm, e.g. every 10-20 game steps depending on how fast the player can move around). There's some caveats (like, you need to figure out how to make moving objects not get stuck in walls that randomly start existing again if they're at the very edge of the activation range) but it's worth learning to use the activation system - it also has the added bonus that offscreen enemies won't attack you until you get close (because they don't exist)... with no need for you to code any special behavior for them.