3D Water flicker

M

Misty

Ok so i have giant world terrain that is supposed to be the size of California...takes 1 minute to load because i have to smooth all the normals...

Then I have the flicker...the water flickers on it
No way to get rid of it not even d3d_setzwriterenable

Ready to call it quits and just do some weird polygonal terrain...

Roa

Define a custom view frustum using d3d_set_projection_ext and make the close and far clipping planes bigger.

M

Misty

I did but I have to make the close plane so big that it clips through everything. Theres got to be a better way to do this.

Roa

what number did you throw in there? It should be smaller than what ever the collision box for the camera is.

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
You could try drawing things at a different scale, or splitting up the water into a grid of planes/triangles so you're not drawing such a large piece at once.

Roa

You could try drawing things at a different scale, or splitting up the water into a grid of planes/triangles so you're not drawing such a large piece at once.
Nah, he is talking about z fighting. The problem is the ratio of clipping planes to how close in decimal the polygons are.

@Misty Use a clipping pair of 4 and 2048 and see what happens.

Last edited:

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
Nah, he is talking about z fighting. The problem is the ration of clipping planes to how close in decimal the polygons are.
I understand what the problem is, but I've found that sometimes if I change the scale of things, it can give me more room to work in. Similarly, I've also seen games have z accuracy problems with super large planes, and I've found that splitting them can help.

M

Misty

Oddly enough, setting the view to 8 and and 4096*8 was all it took to stop the zfighting.