Windows Warp3D - Game Engine, Level Editor & Model Editor

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Joe Ellis, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Warp3D is an extension\engine for gamemaker with a realtime map editor, model editor and rendering system.

Features:

Easy to use level editor with full control over each object's variables and rendering properties.

Objects can be edited "on the fly" while the level is playing.

Triangle level collision detection optimized in a cell grid to keep heavy calculations low.

Model editor with tools for uv_mapping, sculpting, deforming, rigging and animation.

FBX model importer (currently only supports static models)

Anisotropic texture filtering.

Load textures from external files (no need to use sprites or backgrounds)

Resource manager with non-sandboxed file system for handling all external game assets (Maps, models, textures, materials and object presets)

Materials with normal mapping, specular masks, glossmaps, etc.

Realtime shadows, using shadow mapping & shadow meshes.

Realistic water refraction & reflections.

3 types of animations for models are supported: skeletal, vertex keyframe & vertex texture fetching.

I will provide more info and screenshots as this develops, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask here or pm me :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Stoozey, Ches Rowe, curato and 18 others like this.
  2. TheSnidr

TheSnidr Heavy metal viking dentist GMC Elder

Not much to go off of here. Got any more info about your program? What does it do?

Edit:
    Ahh, there's more info in the first post now! This looks incredibly useful! Can't wait to play around with it!

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    sitebender and andev like this.
  3. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

[Moved the info here onto the first post, and added a couple extra bits of info]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Zek, TheSnidr and RichHopefulComposer like this.
  4. RichHopefulComposer

RichHopefulComposer Member

Show us some videos or something! Looks cool - I wanna see what it can do, hahah!

Joe Ellis likes this.
  5. Misu

Misu The forum's immigrant

Ok before someone very specific in this community comes back and mentions octree and show off share his work in here, Im gonna provide my advice.

Since you doing collision using basic primitive forms like collision_sphere_mesh and collision_bbox_mesh, which is very neat and easy on the performance, it is also important to know that many people would also want to make a 3D game as an open world genre. Open world games can be highly heavy on collision checking. In this case, octree collision is required to better improve the performance on either open world games, or games with accurate physics collision. HOWEVER, if someone is making a very simple game that involves a tiny space of the world, it is not really bright to use octree (even though it will work) but its mostly because octree works heavier on processing than a simple primitive collision system. Now my suggestion is to have BOTH techniques as optional choice for better flexibility on editing and building the 3D game. Octree is quite simple but can be tricky to program it right. You should look it up on google to understand better what it is before making it. Hope everything goes well on this project :)

6. RichHopefulComposer

@Misu: He's already made an appearance to probe his new mortal enemy for weaknesses. ;)

3D programmers on the gmc follow Highlander rules, hahah. :'D

7. TheStolenBattenberg

TheStolenBattenberg Member

This looks pretty sweet man, could you post some videos of it in action? If you don't have it already an idea would be to include the ability to do vertex morph animation, since it is preferable for certain 3D effects.

I'm a 3D person myself, been working with it in game maker for ages, so it's nice to see more people come along who like to challange themselves with 3D in Game Maker.

8. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

@Misu Cheers, I didnt mention each collision mesh is split into a grid, each cell containing triangles that intersect it, so each instance will only check a few triangles at a time.
    I will probably implement octrees at some point though.

@RichHopelessComposer & @thestolenbattenberg Unfortunateley I havent got any videos, and I've only got a very few recent screenshots that I'm happy to show, as the model editor only really came into action last week, but I will upload any new stuff that happens from now on.

RichHopefulComposer likes this.
  9. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

This is a test of an ice cave from a few months ago, but this was before smooth shading was set up

[​IMG]

And this is a pic from when I was testing the voxel editor, it supports randomness and manual vertex offsets :)

[​IMG]

10. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

@thestolenbattenberg Yes, it does support vertex morphing, each vertex keyframe animation can be compiled into a strip of vertex buffers, each containing 2 frames to morph between, it can contain 2 sets of every attribute if required but by default just morphs positions & normals.

TheStolenBattenberg likes this.
  11. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

If you can get direct support for importing from major 3d software packages (like Blender, Max, or Maya) and all their major features (UVs, textures, morphs, bones, rigging), you'll be in an interesting position.

Joe Ellis likes this.
  12. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

@CMAllen it will have full fbx importing \ exporting with all the major features and also material settings, it uses a dll containing all the required functions, which is complete and working but the gui\editor itself only has the basics sorted so far (normals, uvs, textures & bones) but all the other features will be added before release.

I do have a few pictures of an imported Spyro level, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it here as its from a copyrighted game.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    RichHopefulComposer likes this.
  13. RichHopefulComposer

Post it! People post material like that all the time for test engines/games. It's no big deal. If you go through the WIP forum here, you'll see stuff like that everywhere. =)

Joe Ellis likes this.
  14. hippyman

hippyman Member

I really like the voxel part. Nice to see that you took the extra step and added in the offset and didn't just stick with basic blocks.

15. RichHopefulComposer

Agreed. Brought it up from generic Minecraft to cool oldschool Dungeon Keeper, hahah. =D

Joe Ellis and hippyman like this.
  16. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

[Image links were broken]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  17. orSQUADstra

orSQUADstra Member

Your image links are broken :p

18. Gabe the Dead Fish

Gabe the Dead Fish Member

Nice! Will you have any tutorials on how to use this?

Also, is this only for Game Maker 2 or does it work for the original GM?

Joe Ellis likes this.
  19. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

Well, what about animations? Do those need to be created inside your tool, or are they imported as part of 3d model's rig?

Joe Ellis likes this.
  20. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Yeah animations will be able to be imported, edited inside my tool and exported.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    CMAllen likes this.
  21. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

I'm making it in 1.4 cus 2 wasnt out when I started, I'm gonna port it into 2 once its finished and both will be available.

And yeah, I'm gonna make a youtube channel with tutorials for as much stuff as I can, plus a manual.

22. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Thanks for letting me know! Do these work?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. TheSnidr

TheSnidr Heavy metal viking dentist GMC Elder

Nice! Looks great, would love to play around with it!

Niels and Joe Ellis like this.
  24. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Hopefully you'll be able to soon lol

25. orSQUADstra

orSQUADstra Member

Yes, they're fine now. :) Also, it's amazing!

Joe Ellis likes this.
  26. Zek

Zek Member

This is looking great so far! Really interested to see the development of this!

Joe Ellis likes this.
  27. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words, its really encouraging :D

28. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

29. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Some realtime shadow mapping:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pics are just from the test project while i was developing them, I'm hoping to implement them into the editor pretty soon.

Rukola, Jabbers, YanBG and 2 others like this.
  30. orSQUADstra

orSQUADstra Member

That looks great! May I ask how much FPS you're getting with it though?

Joe Ellis likes this.
  31. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Thanks, strangely 3 - 4 thousand fps_real, earlier attempts were alot slower but I kept improving it.
    I do need to test it in a busy game though...

My computer is pretty average I think, I bought it about 3 years ago for £400,

Graphics card is AMD Radeon R7 with 4gb video ram

orSQUADstra likes this.
  32. george_a3iristos

george_a3iristos Member

It's interesting! It's amazing watching people develop additional stuff for gm. I'm gonna test it today

Joe Ellis likes this.
  33. Misu

May I ask how you got ambient occlusion to work?

Joe Ellis likes this.
  34. Zek

Zek Member

sitebender, YanBG and Joe Ellis like this.
  35. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Thats just part of the chair models texture, I'm not sure if I'm going to use realtime ambient occlusion, but I am developing raytracing lightmapping which could be used to bake some ambient occlusion.

orSQUADstra likes this.
  36. Misu

You need smooth normals on that terrain.

Joe Ellis, Zek and orSQUADstra like this.
  37. Zek

Zek Member

Haha yeah I know. That project is old tho and I'm not working on it anymore.

Joe Ellis likes this.
  38. Misu

Its cool. Was gonna recommend a technique on smoothing normals but I believe my technique is too heavy on processing. Im still searching for better alternatives on performing smooth normal factors.

Joe Ellis likes this.
  39. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Iv thought of a name for my program... Warp3D! if anyone has any suggestions, or BRUTALLY HONEST opinions, its all welcome, i wanna improve this as much as possible
    [​IMG]

40. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

I just wanna see spyro jumpin around in there, thats my next goal

Zek and RichHopefulComposer like this.
  41. Misu

Warp 3D sounds nice.

Also try not to double post. If you need to add something you forgot and your post is happen to be the last post made, just edit your previous post instead.

Joe Ellis likes this.
  42. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Cool sorry yeah I always forget to do that

43. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

I've made a shader that creates realtime mesh based shadows with softening \ anti-aliasing :)

[​IMG]

Its very fast & efficient, but here is one problem with it, the max number triangles casting shadow is
    only 73,
    this is due to them being passed into the shader as a uniform array and directx9 only allowing a certain amount of uniforms at a time,
    so it cant be used for precise silohette shadows from characters, they'd have to use a lowpoly shape instead (which might look good in a cell shaded or cartoony game)

while 73 might sound a small number, it actually means 73 per model rendered, and you'd never need this many if the shadows were from big objects like buildings,
    so I'm planning on splitting the "shadow meshes" into smaller groups where objects only check the triangles that are going to cast shadow on them in that area,
    which will allow a whole level to use them.

This technique can also be mixed with shadow mapping, which would allow entities to cast precise shadows.

But.. it looks great though right?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Nux, CMAllen, TheSnidr and 2 others like this.
  44. Niels

Niels Member

Wow yoyogames should hire you!

Joe Ellis likes this.
  45. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

Are you sure that those are stencil shadows? Because the stencil buffer is impossible to access in gamemaker without extensions

46. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Oh sorry I didn't realize they have to use the stencil buffer, I just call them stencil if they're hard and don't use shadow mapping, I'll change the description so its not misleading.

47. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

Okay, thx :)

48. Geoff Jones

Geoff Jones Member

I cant even begin to understand how you did this... Bravo :)

Joe Ellis likes this.
  49. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Here's a little test of modelling a level, I was going for a ps1 type style with this, its only rough but I like the result so far.

[​IMG]

50. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

Well, the engine is almost finished, shouldn't be too long before I can announce a release date :)

Random screenshots below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm starting to wonder how many people actually want to make a 3d game with gamemaker? Cus I haven't had alot of replies recently

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018