• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Beta Warcraze [Top - Down Shooter] OUTDATED

Gamerev147

Welcome! First things first, check out this trailer of Warcraze below. Once you've finished watching, please continue reading for more information.

Alright! You interested? Awesome! So here are some main concepts I would like to cover about my game:
  • How it started.
  • The Mechanics.
  • The Artwork.
  • The music and future music.
  • Screen shots and other videos.
  • Conclusion and special thanks!
Without any further ado, let's begin!

HOW IT STARTED

For many years have I been using Game Maker, and for many years have I been learning better, more advanced code. I've created many games, only to bail on them after a month or so. These games were no failure! These games were just a foundation for the complex game I've been working on for the past few months. Yes, about four months ago I started a game called "Warcap". This game was a very basic top - down shooter and I was not very happy with it. After many days of not adding anything to the game, I decided to seize production and start a new game. With the idea of a top - down shooter still in my mind, I started the production of Warcraze! A top - down, bloody mess of a game, all about killing zombies. You not only just kill zombies! When you enter the first house, you need to find a key to escape this zombie infested house. But don't forget about the money! That's right, all throughout the houses are money bags with a little bit of extra spending money. You can't focus on just the money and the key! That's just too boring! That's why I added a timing system. You are required to find the key, and escape before time runs out. If you fail to do so, you will need to restart at the beginning of the house. Now that you have a basic idea on the game, let's talk about some mechanics!

THE MECHANICS
Obviously, this game was coded in all GML with very little use of extensions and DLL's. Although there are many objects in the game, I believe it would be very important for you, the user, to understand how the gears are spinning behind the scenes. Starting off with the whole point of playing the game, the Player. When I was coding the mechanics and controls for the player, I wanted the user to be able to easily move around, without becoming "stuck" on other objects. To avoid getting stuck while sliding against other objects, I created a collision circle around the object and used this circle to collide with the other objects. Therefore, creating a very smooth collision system. Next up is the zombies. Although the zombie's mechanics are not very complex, it still provides an amazing experience for the user. The mechanics for the zombie goes something like this:
  1. The player moves towards the zombie...
  2. The zombie first notices the player by changing to a new sprite index...
  3. If the player continues to move closer, the zombie will enter "chase mode"...
  4. The zombie will continue to chase the player avoiding all solid objects until the player moves out of the zombie's chase range.
As you can see, it's very basic and will be updated in the future.

THE ARTWORK
As you may have noticed from the trailer, the artwork in Warcraze is very detailed and is very soothing to the user's eye. After all, no one wants to be playing a game with bad graphics! This artwork was not created by me. It is also not copyrighted artwork. This artwork was, in fact, created by my father. My father has been an artist his whole life. So with many years of experience, he was able to help me create amazing artwork like this:

As you can clearly see, this artwork is very detailed and makes the game much more interesting.

THE MUSIC AND FUTURE MUSIC
As of now, the music is Warcraze is not how I intended it to be. I want music with very suspenseful feeling to it. Along with this suspense feeling, I would like to add techno to it. So in other words, I want music that starts out slow and spooky, but then become fast and up - beat. The music in Warcraze at the current moment is copyrighted music. This music will be updated soon! I have a small company that has seen the dilemma I am in and wants to help create some better music. If plans go through, I'll have amazing music to go along with my game. If plans go south, I will need music ASAP!

The sound effects are very basic for the most part. When you fire the gun, according to which gun you bought, it will play the assigned sound to that gun. Ex: AK47, M4A1, ASVAL, are some of many. When you pick up money, a simple cash register sound plays to indicate that you have picked up a money bag. At the moment, there is no sound for the medkit.

SCREEN SHOTS AND OTHER VIDEOS
This is probably what you have all been waiting for. The game itself! Below I have included many screenshots of the game, the shop, and the menu.

DISCLAIMER: *The screen shots that were taken of the game are not very good! They don't have as much blood and gore!*

In the future I am going to add a gore splat (arms, and guts) when the zombie is destroyed.

CONCLUSION
Thank you all very much for staying with me this long. I hope you've enjoyed learning about Warcraze. Hopefully I have answered many questions and hopefully I will GET many questions. Feel free to comment USEFUL, AND KIND comments and suggestions about the game. I only reply to kind comments. If you are very interested, feel free to join the Warcraze forums, or visit the Gamerev147 website. Thanks everyone, and updates will be posted weekly! :)

http://warcrazefree.boards.net/

http://gamerev147.jimdo.com/development/