• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Question - General WANTED: A PDF file viewer

I am looking for an asset in the marketplace that allows a game to load and view a .pdf file into a separate room ( being used as the viewer), that way if a player is not playing the game ( or the game is paused ), they can load up the instructions and view it on a separate window that shows the .pdf file. To add, the asset feature would make it possible to a view a .pdf file in the same full screen window, so that the user does not have to minimize the game when its pause to load up Adobe's .pdf file viewer in another window causing the user to flip flop between the two windows ( minimize the current window then maximize the other window, and repeat as necessary ). This is merely for the convienance of having game instructions that the user can view in the same game, besides viewing it outside, independently of the game, when the game is not being used.

I have already searched the market place for such a thing, and nothing exists when use the search bar look it up. Also, I have no idea if this can be done with GMS : 2 , so please let me know.

Thanks.

H

Homunculus

You could use an extension like this one to open the pdf with the system default viewer (if any). This will however get you out of the full screen window.

I’m not aware of any in game pdf viewer (for a reason, PDFs are complex beasts), but they are not the only option. You could use a in game browser extension and have your manual as an html file or hosted website for example.

You could use an extension like this one to open the pdf with the system default viewer (if any). This will however get you out of the full screen window.

I’m not aware of any in game pdf viewer (for a reason, PDFs are complex beasts), but they are not the only option. You could use a in game browser extension and have your manual as an html file or hosted website for example.
I guess I could live with window flip flopping. OK, thanks!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Here's a lifehack: screenshot each page of the PDF and import as a background into your game, then just move them to rooms featuring those backgrounds when they view the help file in-game. Makes it a bit harder to update it, but ultimately it's just a copy-paste operation and you likely won't update the help file extensively once it's "done".

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'm on vacation right now but when I get back I was already planning on making an extension which fits your needs. You can open it in the default viewer and have the document viewer stay on top of the game window borderless at the specified window coordinates, embedded like a control. I made an extension that did this in the past but took it down because it was windows-only. I found a way to achieve it on Linux as well, and discovered apple doesnt allow such things so adding mac support for an extension that manipulates window properties that dont belong to your current app is not possible. I already wrote the Linux port, when I am home again this Saturday I can get to working on the new Windows version.