1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - General WANTED: A PDF file viewer

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Lord KJWilliams, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Lord KJWilliams

Lord KJWilliams Member

I am looking for an asset in the marketplace that allows a game to load and view a .pdf file into a separate room ( being used as the viewer), that way if a player is not playing the game ( or the game is paused ), they can load up the instructions and view it on a separate window that shows the .pdf file. To add, the asset feature would make it possible to a view a .pdf file in the same full screen window, so that the user does not have to minimize the game when its pause to load up Adobe's .pdf file viewer in another window causing the user to flip flop between the two windows ( minimize the current window then maximize the other window, and repeat as necessary ). This is merely for the convienance of having game instructions that the user can view in the same game, besides viewing it outside, independently of the game, when the game is not being used.

I have already searched the market place for such a thing, and nothing exists when use the search bar look it up. Also, I have no idea if this can be done with GMS : 2 , so please let me know.

Thanks.

2. Catan

Catan Member

You could use an extension like this one to open the pdf with the system default viewer (if any). This will however get you out of the full screen window.

I’m not aware of any in game pdf viewer (for a reason, PDFs are complex beasts), but they are not the only option. You could use a in game browser extension and have your manual as an html file or hosted website for example.

Lord KJWilliams likes this.
  3. Lord KJWilliams

Lord KJWilliams Member

I guess I could live with window flip flopping. OK, thanks!

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Here's a lifehack: screenshot each page of the PDF and import as a background into your game, then just move them to rooms featuring those backgrounds when they view the help file in-game. Makes it a bit harder to update it, but ultimately it's just a copy-paste operation and you likely won't update the help file extensively once it's "done".

5. chamaeleon

chamaeleon Member

You could try a web browser asset, depending on the target.

zbox likes this.
  6. zbox

zbox Member GMC Elder

Little bit of self promo here... if you're looking for a solution on Android and iOS you can use my Webview asset and load the following URL:

https://drive.google.com/viewerng/viewer?embedded=true&url={{PDF URL GOES HERE}}

7. Lord KJWilliams

Lord KJWilliams Member

zbox likes this.
  8. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

I'm on vacation right now but when I get back I was already planning on making an extension which fits your needs. You can open it in the default viewer and have the document viewer stay on top of the game window borderless at the specified window coordinates, embedded like a control. I made an extension that did this in the past but took it down because it was windows-only. I found a way to achieve it on Linux as well, and discovered apple doesnt allow such things so adding mac support for an extension that manipulates window properties that dont belong to your current app is not possible. I already wrote the Linux port, when I am home again this Saturday I can get to working on the new Windows version.

Lord KJWilliams and Catan like this.