• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Wall jump/slide animation?

N

Nixio

Hey guys!

Once I made wall slide animation (one frame only character leaning against the wall) and it didn't look nice and smooth..

First problem was when you are on the edge of wall it looks like character is leaning against nothing...(I know it can be solved in collision code but I don't know how).

Any help or advice about this would be nice!
I am beginner, only few months in game maker and making games so this question might be stupid :D

By the way I want this animation to look something like in super meat.

B

Bayesian

What, specificly do you want help with? Collisions? Code? or Animations? please post screenshots or the code your having problems with so we can help you.

N

Nixio

What, specificly do you want help with? Collisions? Code? or Animations? please post screenshots or the code your having problems with so we can help you.
Thank you for your answer!

I made that when I'm against left or right wall and I am not grounded sprite changes to sliding animation (which is one frame but that is not important) .
Code for collision is :

var l_wall = place_meeting(x-1, y, oPlayer.Blok); // Wall on left
var r_wall = place_meeting(x+1, y, oPlayer.Blok); // Wall on right

Animation and everything works fine but only problem is when the half of player is above the solid object it looks like he is leaning on nothing..
I think one solution is to have ledge grabbing but I don't want to have that in my game..

So do you have any other solution?

Thank you again!

B

Bayesian

You could have your wall collision checks be a bit higher so it reverts to the normal sprite/animation when they're half way above a block, or you could use a 3rd sprite for that condition.

N

Nixio

You could have your wall collision checks be a bit higher so it reverts to the normal sprite/animation when they're half way above a block, or you could use a 3rd sprite for that condition.
I am pretty bad at drawing sprites so I will try with collision code. I guess it will work or make it look a bit better :)

Thank you a lot for your time and answer!