• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design W or SPACE to JUMP?

S

Salsa

Hello!

IM trying to work on my first platformer shooter game and I was wondering what people prefer for jumping.

I like using W to jump in 2D platformer games because i think it makes sense. But a lot of people tell me to use space bar because it's just what people use.
anyone have an opinion on what to use for a 2D platformer game? Im open to whatever cause i want to use what most people prefer.

Mk.2

I assume you mean a 2D shooter that uses WASD and mouse. In that case, I prefer W to jump but if the game only allows space it isn't a huge deal. Even though space is used in FPS games, in a 2D game where A and D are for moving left and right on screen, it makes sense that W is for moving up.

If it's a keyboard only game, I prefer using the letters on the right hand side like K or L, so it mimics the layout of a gamepad.

Last edited:

Mk.2

Oh yeah, forgot to say, I agree that it's always best to give the player the option. Either 2 keys simultaneously available like the example above, or even better, a configuration screen like Foxy mentioned.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
As said above, the best thing you can do is provide a default and then let the player configure them to their taste, supporting anything and everything you can. You should let them easily configure the keyboard keys as they see fit, switch to any of the gamepads attached to the computer and configure that however they want, even mix devices as they want. That's really the only way to satisfy everybody.

What happened to the arrow keys?? Why do people always use WASD. I hate those keys. But, left asside, I'll say what are the worst keys: ALT, CTRL or SHIFT. Gosh, I played games and that WIndows message keeps comming up because of reminant keys or however Microsoft calls them. Objectively, here's my thought.

I am right handed and cannot play well with WASD so hard coded "W" key to jump would be horrible for me because I just cannot play with WASD properly. I'm used to using a controller. So for me, Space bar is better. Now again, if you are using WASD for moving, the "W" key will also add additional checks in your code that a single jump only key would not. If you plan on hard coding keys for control, I suggest the "space bar".

But, in the way others said here, I most favor a user customized key layout. THAT would be best. You put your own personal keys as default but permit the player to change them. Yes, it requires saving into a file and reading from it, but creating a good games requires understanding your programming language INCLUDING saving and loading from files which some people may not be too familiar with. But what I loved about GML is that complicated things become simple when readin just their GML language manual and other users' examples.

So, your question here already has it's own answer with the current comments, we are all different and play differently which is the reason customized controls is best when using a keyboard played game. In the end, your game will know success with it's ads, it's visual appearance and story, level layout and sounds. If players really love your game, most will accomodate your hard coded keys but you may have some players send negative notes because they don't like the hard coded keys.

I think this covers most of the things arround what keys to use in a game. Of course, that's only my own opinion. Hope this helps!

S

Salsa

I assume you mean a 2D shooter that uses WASD and mouse. In that case, I prefer W to jump but if the game only allows space it isn't a huge deal. Even though space is used in FPS games, in a 2D game where A and D are for moving left and right on screen, it makes sense that W is for moving up.

If it's a keyboard only game, I prefer using the letters on the right hand side like K or L, so it mimics the layout of a gamepad.
yeah i do mean a 2D shooter, that what i like better too, i just assumed people liked space better.

I prefer W, but if you're going to use the Space bar, please don't use the arrow keys. Many keyboards ghost during those combinations.
i dont like using arrow keys and space, its to hard to do everything else haha. im using WASD and space currently

What happened to the arrow keys?? Why do people always use WASD. I hate those keys. But, left asside, I'll say what are the worst keys: ALT, CTRL or SHIFT. Gosh, I played games and that WIndows message keeps comming up because of reminant keys or however Microsoft calls them. Objectively, here's my thought.

I am right handed and cannot play well with WASD so hard coded "W" key to jump would be horrible for me because I just cannot play with WASD properly. I'm used to using a controller. So for me, Space bar is better. Now again, if you are using WASD for moving, the "W" key will also add additional checks in your code that a single jump only key would not. If you plan on hard coding keys for control, I suggest the "space bar".

But, in the way others said here, I most favor a user customized key layout. THAT would be best. You put your own personal keys as default but permit the player to change them. Yes, it requires saving into a file and reading from it, but creating a good games requires understanding your programming language INCLUDING saving and loading from files which some people may not be too familiar with. But what I loved about GML is that complicated things become simple when readin just their GML language manual and other users' examples.

So, your question here already has it's own answer with the current comments, we are all different and play differently which is the reason customized controls is best when using a keyboard played game. In the end, your game will know success with it's ads, it's visual appearance and story, level layout and sounds. If players really love your game, most will accomodate your hard coded keys but you may have some players send negative notes because they don't like the hard coded keys.

I think this covers most of the things arround what keys to use in a game. Of course, that's only my own opinion. Hope this helps!
that was a lot to rad, im super new to this and honestly dont really know what you just said, but i understood that giving the player an option to choose is the best thing to do? I could probably just code a bunch of options like using arrow keys to move and jump, space to jump, and WASD to move and jump that way there is variety? What do you think about that.

I personally like to use "Space".
Most games use space.
You can make a configuration screen and let the player decide what is the best option.
i love the idea of a configuration screen [its when you basically let people bind whatever key they want to any movement or interaction right??]. But how do you make that? im so new that i cant even think how i would make that.

For a platform shooter I prefer W. But you could allow both if you're not using space for something else: keyboard_set_map(ord("W"), vk_space);
tanks that really helpful! is there a way to give three options in the function? or is there another one i should use?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
i love the idea of a configuration screen [its when you basically let people bind whatever key they want to any movement or interaction right??]. But how do you make that? im so new that i cant even think how i would make that.
I have coded a system that does this for you, but as new as you are it honestly may be a little harder to use than you want. It is certainly easier than coding it yourself, but you still have to have a little coding experience to use it. The best option in my opinion is generally to have the input handling separate, which is what my system does(will do once I finish up this re-write for 2.3).

If this project is one of your "learning" projects and not really meant to be bigger like a commercial thing, then you may be better off just having both WASD and the arrow keys plus the space bar for now so you can get along with learning the rest of the process, and then eventually you can either make your own input system to better handle it, learn a more basic way to have custom inputs(there are tutorials out there too), or buy an asset that handles it.

Toque

If you don’t have a jump would you use the space for shooting or what’s the norm there? (Non mouse control)

D

Deleted member 13992

having jump as 'up' means you may run into problems once you get aimable weapons in there. if you offer the ability to aim upwards, the player might have difficulty aiming to the sides while jumping.

spacebar

ThraxxMedia

I've actually never really heard of any game that uses 'W' (or the up arrow) for jumping. I believe space bar is way more common, and would be my very first instinct if no instructions were given.

But regardless of whichever you prefer, it's good practice to let the player make that decision on their own. Or, if you don't know how to code button remapping (or don't even have a menu at all) and you're not using one of the two buttons for anything else, check both of them at the same time. This way it doesn't matter which one's being pressed.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The standard these days is arrow keys for movement + Z X C for actions + Esc bringing up the pause menu + Enter selecting things on the title screen. There are other keyboard layouts than QWERTY, so the up key might be in a completely different spot (AZERTY is big in the french-speaking world, for instance) so you usually want to not rely on WASD too much.

The only really foolproof solution is to allow rebinding controls, really.

I am also right handed as someone said above. But I don't see what that matter. I can't use the arrow keys well with my right hand, gamepads and arcades have conditioned me to believe that movement is on the left hand(So I even use the arrow keys with my left hand, playing with hands crossed over).
Anyway OT: Options, my man. I prefer space for jumping over the two, but it's nice to have the option to jump with W too.

NeutronCat

In some classic platformer like Super Mario World and Megaman, "up" was used for climbing.
If you set "up" for jumping at this situation, it's hard to determine whether the player want to climb up the ladder or jump off the ladder.
It would be better to use a separate action key for jumping if your character have climbing ability.