GM:S 1.4 vk_up cancels other inputs [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Programming' started by shockpine, Feb 11, 2019.

1. shockpine

shockpine Member

Hi forum-goers! I'm having an issue with keyboard inputs, where if I hold down vk_up, and from what I can tell exclusively vk_up, suddenly my player object won't be able to take more than two keyboard inputs.
    (for instance, I first hold down left and right (vk) and then try to hold down up. No vertical movement, but when I try to do the same thing but with down instead of up, I get the vertical movement I expect)
    I'm assuming this is specifically a virtual keys issue? If so, is there a way to check directional keys without using virtual keys?
    I'm working on something with 8-directional movement, and I'm using virtual keys. I set up the keys in the create event:
    Code:
    //CREATE button mapping
    keyUp=vk_up
    keyDown=vk_down
    keyRight=vk_right
    keyLeft=vk_left
    Then I check the keyboard inputs in my step event:
    Code:
    //STEP movement
    if keyboard_check(keyRight) hspeed+=1.5
    if keyboard_check(keyLeft)  hspeed-=1.5
    if keyboard_check(keyDown)  vspeed+=1.5
    if keyboard_check(keyUp)    vspeed-=1.5

2. TheSly

TheSly Member

It could be a rollover issue. Have you tried another keyboard?

3. Bayesian

Bayesian Member

Defiantly a roll over issue with your hardware with code that simple. You don't need a 2nd keyboard to verify this. If you can reproduce the behavior here then its roll over.

TheSly likes this.
  4. shockpine

shockpine Member

yes okay thank you!! It definitely was a rollover issue, I'm surprised I didn't test with my other keyboard! Thanks guys <3

Bayesian likes this.