• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Visual Studio 2017

Hello,

I tried to use new Visual Studio 2017 RC with GM2 but without success. Do you consider using this version in near future or you have already know about tricks how to successfully build a final game having only VS2017?

I would not like have both 2015&2017 versions of VS on my system. After some time VS2017 will be an official and stable version so why not using the latest one only?

Thank you.

(GM2 is cool!)

J

Jarmar Games

Yea, I tried as well. It looks likes the subfolders structure has changed in VS 2017. So setting the path to just the root folder will no longer work it seems. I do wish support will be added for VS 2017. The new install experience for it is fantastic. I can just install the needed bits and not tons of other stuff that never gets used.

Hyomoto

Might I inquire why? When you click 'Required SDK's' it specifically lists VS 2015 Community. While it might be fun to try it out, asking if it will be supported seems pointless. Is there something specific that VS2017 does that 2015 does not as far as compiling GM2 projects is concerned? If so, it might be reasonable to list that with the question:

"VS2017 supports feature X which would benefit GM2 games because Y. Is there plans to support this?"

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Err as far as I know vs2017 was only announced in the last week or so, this build was in freeze / test for the last 2 weeks so how would we have had a chance to add support? We will not consider it for a while as that is just a distraction at this time.

When it is released properly we will add support

Russell

N

Neil

I thought i was doing something wrong.....will be eagerly awaiting for the correct support.

babyjeans

I'm gonna bump this one real quick -

Any plans for support now that 2017 is "really" released? My 128GB Hard Drive loves the smaller footprint that VS2017 brings but I totally hadn't considered that I still need 2015 for YYC support. I'll reinstall in the mean-time, but was wondering if there might be a way to get GMS2 to recognize the VS2017 tools sooner than later?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have added support on the internal build, the next public build should have that support in it

Russell

J

J_C

I've just started using GMS2, and I'm a little lost. I have never used VS2015, and by googling it, I get all kinds of different results in microsoft sites. Can someone point me to the correct version?

csanyk

So, if you've already set up GMS2 YYC with VS2015, what are the advantages of moving to VS2017? Are there any drawbacks?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
So, if you've already set up GMS2 YYC with VS2015, what are the advantages of moving to VS2017? Are there any drawbacks?
None at the moment (afaik), apart from the fact that you'll probably have to do it eventually so why not now? I would say though that if you have UWP module then you're as well staying with 2015 as that's what it uses, so no point in having two bloated VS installs if you don't need them.