Virtucity - isometric city builder (v0.10031)

Isometric city builder made in GM:S​

Download link!
Features:
  • Simple RCI system
  • Road building system with 1 type of road (unpaved)
  • Simple power/water system
  • Simple economy
How to play:
  • Build your roads first, but keep in mind, that your zones need to be adjacent to a road or else they won't build.
  • Add zones, on the top left of the screen you will see the demand for each zone. You start with 10 demand for Res (Residential). (only the residential zones are draggable and don't drag too much or you might freeze the game)
  • Add power, but beware, wind turbines aren't cheap so place 1 or 2.
  • Add a water tower and a water pump to fill the water tower. 1 water tower is usually enough for 2 water pumps.
  • Don't be afraid if you go in the red, you can't go bankrupt (for now).
Screenshot:

Changelog:
v0.10000
Repository created
v0.10001
Added GM:S Project file
v0.10002
Added road art assets
v0.10003
Added terrain art assets
v0.10004
Added terrain chunk generation base code
v0.10005
Added vsync, disabled aa and added view moving
v0.10006
Added mouse to isometric coordinates transformation
Changed flat tile sprite to be seamless
v0.10007
Added some UI sprites
v0.10008
Added glow effect to buttons
v0.10009
Changes to accommodate all resolutions
v0.10010
Added Build menu and animated it
Added build functionality for 1 type of road
v0.10011
Added unpaved road art assets
v0.10012
Added more road configurations
v0.10013
Bug fixes
v0.10014
Added function road building and optimized it
v0.10015
Minor bugfixes
v0.10016
Added zooming
v0.10017
Added barely functioning base for landscaping
v0.10018
Modified some road sprites to fix AA issues
v0.10019
Added 3 types of zones: residential, industrial and commercial
Added base for functionality of those zones
Added base for custom timers
v0.10020
Fixed custom alarm system
v0.10021
Added commercial zones to alarm system
v0.10022
Optimized alarm system
v0.10023
Added industrial zone
Fixed zoom
Added water and electricity buildings
v0.10024
Added electricity and electricity gauge
v0.10025
Added water and water gauge
Added money
v0.10026
Added basic guides
v0.10027
Added more details to guides
v0.10028
Bugfixes
v0.10029
Added residential guides
v0.10030
Bugfixes
v0.10031
Added money gain
Added RCI
Bugfixes

I need feedback and bug reports! I'm going for the weekend now and I won't be able to update the game for the next couple of days.
The game is locked at 1024x768 windowed until next version.

Zoom out with scroll, right click to not build anything and beware ESCAPE exits the game!

Last edited:
M

MEITdev

Hi there!

I have recorded a short "honest first impressions" feedback video for your game.

The purpose of this video is for you as a developer to see how players play your game, what are their expressions as well as some likes and dislikes.
Basically the personal feedback is something that is hard to get, so I am hoping to help you just a little bit with this video.

PS: I really hope to see further updates as I would like to do a follow up video to show how your development has progressed !

Keep up the great work! ^__^

Haha, I feel so ashamed that I missed these simple things in the public version!
I'll have them fixed by next version. Thanks for the video and sorry for the late feedback!

RangerX

I fell on Meit video for this game a little while back. I hope you still actively working on this.
I shall give you some feedback soon, maybe with a newer version coming or something

Here's the thing. I'm really bad with finishing things. Like, really bad.
I could totally finish this, but I'm all burnt out. It sucks. I'm stuck in an endless loop. Several months from now I'll be like "Oh, I should totally start working on VirtuCity again".
I'm just not fit as a game developer it seems.
I like developing things. But not entire games. Here's my latest "tech demo" https://gfycat.com/YoungKlutzyAmericanpainthorse
Really proud of it.
The reason for VirtuCity to be abandoned (once again) is because I don't have an artist. The artist quit long ago, this is just his work that he left me. If I'd publish this I'd get in big trouble since we didn't sign any agreements. The second reason is: this game won't do well on the market. The city builder market is saturated. Check out Cities:skylines, mayor's town (2017). No point of making a game no one will play (especially demoralizing was publishing this game here and getting only feedback from MEITdev and his followers(which I thank him for a lot)).
I remember in the old forums you could change titles of your profile. Mine would be "vaporware".
Thanks for the interest anyways.

HighlandCoo

Yeah its always sad to see games die off, but the sad truth is - making games is hard, but getting people to actually care about them is harder.

I think if hard work == fans we might see alot more indie games getting finished, but it just does not work like that i'm afraid. Nobody really knows whats going to be popular and there are no guarantees.

I hope this doesn;t put you off, making games _can_ be very fulfilling, try to concentrate on the parts you enjoy and I'm sure you will find a project you love soon.

YanBG

Sad to hear that, you should have finished it(code-wise) and then replace the sprites with your own.

Game in any genre could be a potential flop, or it might be successful you never know. Try to resolve the issues you had on this one.

Good luck with your next project!

Thanks, I didn't have any issues with it, in fact, just before deciding to stop working on the project I managed to finally implement elevated terrain (not in this version tho) which was the hardest for me.

I started university and now I found a job for the summer as a backend web dev. Weird when you consider my background (coming from GMS).

But hey, game dev teaches you a lot of stuff, and I definitely learned a lot from this project, mainly recursive algorithms and data structures using arrays (which are the simplest btw).

So basically - I don't have time to work on the project anymore.

It's kinda weird, at the beginning I had all the time and 0 experience and now it's the complete opposite.

Glad to see you are still working on Bogarash, that's some dedication right there.