Virtual Reality

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
What are your takes on VR? In games mostly, but also in other aplications like medicine and engineering.

K12gamer

A 3D holographic projector (like they had in Star Wars) would be nice, especially for fighting games like Tekken.
For me, that's better than wearing some kind of headset.

1626364098041.png

woods

wife had a dream about 10 yrs ago, where i had put together a 3d table.. looked very much like a terrarium.. players would plug in device at various terminals around the table and their character would appear in the game world.. if i remmber right, could accommodate up to 8 players.. was based on 3d hologram like your starwars pic above ;o)

my thoughts were.. "dam babe, let me wrap my head around a basic inventory system first"

lol such high expectations she has ;o)

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
As I see the current state of things, VR is almos dead. Sure we have a game here and there made by big and small, but nobody is too crazed about it. It seems that motion sickness is the main villain for playthoughts of more than 1h or so.

Sure, futuristic projections would be very cool, but I'm getting that augmented reality and what'nots are very slow to come by.

Do you think that VR headset is a push in the right direction... or maybe it's something like Google Glass and can potentially die?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
VR is definitely the future of gaming, and has the potential for someone to set new gaming standards for
Its still in its infancy days, so it will be exicitng to see how it goes on for in the next few years

hopefully it will become easier (not needing super computers / lots of money) to be able to play vr games

O.Stogden

I think VR will be the way things go in the future. But I think for mainstream gaming, it might be 2030 or later.

Right now most of the equipment is entirely impractical. HTC and Valve options require you to essentially dedicate a room to VR, otherwise it takes a while to set things up every time you want to play.

Oculus Quest is definitely the top of the pack right now in terms of furthering VR in the mainstream. Which Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox) just said himself, that the Quest 2 is the most impressive VR headset. It's completely cableless, can run its own apps directly on the headset and can connect to PC's wirelessly to play PC VR games on places like Steam.

PSVR2 looks to be imitating the Quest 2 pretty closely, although I think it might still be wired? I haven't looked at it much. But the specs they've talked about seem to be similar to the Quest 2.

Definitely in terms of affordability and usability, I think Oculus Quest and PSVR are the 2 that are trying to get people into VR. And they are great experiences (especially the Quest) when you get to use one, and hopefully you get immersed enough to forget you're wearing a headset.

woods

equipment is entirely impractical. HTC and Valve options require you to essentially dedicate a room to VR
hence my statement above still stands ;o)

VR definitely needs to mature a bit, but i do see it as a main staple of gaming in the future.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
The worst part is the nause indicing movement.

The impractical part is the room needed to "accommodate" a VR user.

I don't see much way around the nausea and none at all for the room. XD

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see some VR action, but maybe another thing comes up. Like when cibernetics seem to be shifting into high gears and Crispr came trampling everything. =D

O.Stogden

Room isn't really a problem for the Quest 2, you still need about a 2x2 metre space, but that's not a big ask. It's not like the HTC Vive where you need to set up actual physical equipment in the room to use it properly. And Quest 2 has a stationary mode which you can use from a chair for a lot of the games (such as racing games).

Nausea I don't really know what you could do, I don't think that's a VR problem, I think it's a human one. If you're going to get nauseous on a rollercoaster IRL, you'll get nauseous in a rollercoaster in VR. Personally the only 2 times I've felt sick in VR was playing Ballistic.NG and when watching a 360 degree video of an F-18 fighter jet doing evasive maneuvers. But I expect both of those things would make me sick if I did them IRL anyway, so I can't complain about that haha.

If you get motion sickness (I don't), then you'll probably get sick in VR, just because it puts you in situations that either aren't possible IRL (And therefore might make a bit of a disconnect between your eyes and your brain), or would be 'extreme' IRL.

You can get nauseous if frame rates drop in VR, as that's not how life works. But I haven't had frame drops in any games I've played natively on the Quest, and I'm fairly gentle with VR usage on my PC as it's old and I don't want to immediately kill it. So I've only played things like American Truck Simulator and Assetto Corsa in VR on the PC.

woods

ha! and here i get a lil vertigo climbing a water tower in 7dtd(non-VR)
tho in my defense, rarely do i get motion sickness or nausea.

go figure ;o)

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
If you get motion sickness (I don't), then you'll probably get sick in VR, just because it puts you in situations that either aren't possible IRL (And therefore might make a bit of a disconnect between your eyes and your brain), or would be 'extreme' IRL.
I was going to say it, but you did. The nausea mostly occurs (as far as I'm aware) because the inner ear didn't register movement and acceleration and your eyes does. It's a human condition indeed. Don't know if it's a solvable problem. o.Ô

One thing that fascinates me in VR are the boxing games. Seems so fun, but I don't get a VR set (too expeeeeeeensive here...) and I would probably destroy my house. XD

I do hope it becomes more mainstream as technology catches up. I had to build a brand new rig with high-end parts in order to properly enjoy VR, and while the games are fun to behold in a different way (being able to actually sit inside an Aventador is 😘), I personally find other applications much more endearing. Google Maps VR is such an incredible, awe-inspiring, even tear-inducing experience, especially during the times we're currently going through. I'm curious to see what kind of innovative uses for VR will eventually start to take place. I also can't wait until we get passed this brick-phone phase of VR and move into the smartphone-equivalent era; being able to just put on a pair of glasses and maybe hold something simple solely for tactility is going to be so much more tolerable than these tethered, clunky helmets and wands.

Gamebot

wife had a dream about 10 yrs ago, where i had put together a 3d table.. looked very much like a terrarium.. players would plug in device at various terminals around the table and their character would appear in the game world.. if i remmber right, could accommodate up to 8 players.. was based on 3d hologram like your starwars pic above ;o)

my thoughts were.. "dam babe, let me wrap my head around a basic inventory system first"

lol such high expectations she has ;o)
And the problem with not creating this table is?

I remember being one of the first to put on a jump suit back in 1990? The suit was a virtual reality suit with helmet. In short what many of you call a VR these days. It cost $2.00 for two minutes and took all of the power of those poor processors and Graphics Cards just to see a poly 3D model of yourself and one other person. Great experience the first time...the second not so much was expecting something closer to being able to whack the component at least.

My brother has a VR headset and I've played a few times. I really enjoyed it, but the time it takes to set up was a bummer and we had a lot of problems calibrating. He doesn't have the space to have it set up permanently, so any time we use it, it involves a laborious procedure, which definitely sucks some of the fun out of it.

I didn't get motion sick, though I did get a few very small twinges when playing this really badly put together playerunknown clone (but that mostly came from movement being really strange and choppy framerate, which was the game's fault, not the rig). However, I do have an iron stomach. I think motion sickness will be reduced (though not entirely eliminated) as they increase FOV, framerate and resolution of the headsets, however, I still think a good portion of people will naturally get motion sick playing. My girlfriend can't use a phone while she's in a car because she gets terrible motion sickness and for people like her, I think VR will always be a pipedream.

Overall, from my experiences with it, I think it will always be a higher-end device like the setups that racing game enthusiasts tend to build. Using a proper racing setup (not necessarily with the whole haptic feedback reactive seat things, just a really nice haptic steering wheel/pedals combo thing) is always a ton of fun, but most people don't do it because the number of times they will use it in a year won't outweigh the cost unless, as I said, they're a racing game enthusiast. I think VR will occupy a similar niche, with the majority of people skipping them because of a number of reasons and a small but dedicated number of people owning some seriously impressive rigs.

VR has been an incredible workout tool for me! im lucky enough to have never experienced VR sickness, despite getting easily car-sick. With the Quest 2 our library is a little stunted, and we dont have a connector cable for it, but with our new pc and the Virtual Desktop app, we've been able to get full access to SteamVR (with a little added lag), and have even done a few videos recorded through it! Thumper is INCREDIBLE in VR. We've even managed to get Modded Skyrim VR running on the thing!