• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Alpha Video Game: The Musical

N

Nujuat

This is the project I've been working on for a while now. The idea is simple - a full sized platform game where the story is told through song and the player characters (and some enemies) sing along.

At the moment it's working on PC, windows phone and OUYA. I'll probably put it on iOS as well.

If anyone's interested I can probably get a demo up on Steam Workshop eventually, but for the moment the above video shows the basic idea behind the game.

I hope you like it!

Haha, interesting idea. I like musicals and have written for some as well. Is the music adaptive? changing to what's going on? The lyrics seemed to change from "la la" to "ao ao" as you got hit at least. It would make it even more interesting I think.

N

Nujuat

Haha, interesting idea. I like musicals and have written for some as well. Is the music adaptive? changing to what's going on? The lyrics seemed to change from "la la" to "ao ao" as you got hit at least. It would make it even more interesting I think.
At the moment when the players get hurt they sing owww owww owww instead of the regular lyrics. Everything is set up so I can make the songs more adaptive and that was a big part of the idea (which is why I was excited getting that to work in the video), but with the way the songs and levels are taking now I haven't really found a good way to add it to a level thus far. Though I think this kind of thing would work well in boss battles (which I haven't done much work on yet), where each side could sing something different if they're winning or loosing.

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
This is awesome and hilarious!

I had an idea sort of like this once, but more like an adventure game that takes place as a theatrical type of musical, but... it was way beyond anything I could ever make myself.

This is a better way to implement the musical idea though. Great work. Can't wait to see more! :)

Edit: Just an idea - you should have the characters bop to the beat when they're idle, and have other elements of the game move at the same pace, kind of like the newer Mario games (New Super Mario Bros., I think?).

Last edited:
X

Xskode

yeah, this is gonna be fun man! keep it up, i wanna play it!

N

Nujuat

Wow it's great to see people like the idea! I'll let you know when I complete more levels with music and lyrics (I have quite a few level maps completed and a few songs completed with lyrics but most of these songs are for level maps I haven't made yet).

Edit: Just an idea - you should have the characters bop to the beat when they're idle, and have other elements of the game move at the same pace, kind of like the newer Mario games (New Super Mario Bros., I think?).
That's a really good idea... I'll think about the best way to add something like that in.

And yeah it's the new super Mario bros games you're thinking about. The main thing like that is where everything jumps on particular notes.

N

Nujuat

Just a quick update - I've made a video of the title screen here:
I've just finished university for the year so I'll have a lot of time to work on this, get a demo ready, and hopefully finish it before next year :)
I'll keep you posted when there's a bit more complete stuff to show.