Video Cutscene option In Game Maker Studios.

Discussion in 'Legacy GameMaker Community Tech Support' started by GamingTechReview, Jul 22, 2016.

1. GamingTechReview

GamingTechReview Member

I was thinking maybe if allot of you would agree Game maker would make this a reality. it would be nice to have developers make cutscenes for their games at certain points. Like a beggining video that explains what happens and each checkpoint I can have a video cutscene with characters in action. it will bring more life to the games and overall develop a new audience to game maker thus making marketing for yoyogames allot better.

2. Aura

Aura Puppeteer of Hail

GM:S already allows you to do cutscenes. There are two easy approaches that you could go for.

First, use timelines. Learn more about them here:

http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/001_advanced use/005_time lines.html

Second, use a third party tool to create the cutscene as a video and use a video playing extension to play it; for the native support for that is now obsolete.

If that was meant to be a suggestion, YoYo are not accepting any for GM:S at the moment. And I doubt if they'd want to add a support for that in future as well.

3. DerpsMcPineapple

DerpsMcPineapple Member

Well, technically, there is a way to do FMV in GMS without plug-ins, It's just a really long and overly complicated process. I've actually used this method a few times in some of my games because I couldn't be bothered spending the money at the time. If you don't want to pay for an extension, here's a "free" alternative:

1. Turn the video into a .gif file, or multiple gifs. I like to use http://ezgif.com/video-to-gif for this step. I recommend a really low resolution, like 144p and at 10 fps.

2. Take the gif(s) you just made and extract it into a zip with one individual image per frame. I like to use Piskell for this step.

3. Import the frames into GMS as an animated sprite.

4. Extract the audio from the original video and import that as well.

5. Create an object containing the sprite, and then sync the object and the audio up using a timeline. Remember to put the room's FPS at the same rate as the FPS of the gif, so that they actually sync up.

If that's not complicated enough for you, It does get the job done. The finished product does take up a lot of data (generally 25mb per minute) for a very compressed looking cutscene (25mb per minute for a 144p cutscene at 10 fps). But despite all of that, It does work, and it's free.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Gibibit and Quailfail like this.
  4. LIFU91

LIFU91 Member

how do i sync it in the timeline? can u help? thank you

5. kupo15

kupo15 Member

I'm hoping that is what this is in the upcoming items on the roadmap
    • Video Playback

Samuel Venable likes this.