• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[Video] Code review of "The Cellar"

Phil Strahl

For the latest Ludum Dare (the theme was "one room"), I created this little puzzle game called "The Cellar", which you can download as compiled game and also as GM2 project.

But since looking at somebody else's code can become pretty involved, I thought I record a video of me, stepping through the code and explaining how and why did things. I find it always interesting to see how other people tackle common problems and stuff, so this is me sharing how I do it.

Pretty much everything in there applies to Game Maker: Studio, the specific stuff relating to GMS 2 gets mentioned explicitly.

Despite the game's simple nature, it got a bit lengthy so I broke up the video into different parts which you can jump to via the video description. Also, you might want to watch it at double speed ;)