video and game maker

slayer 64

I was thinking about getting video from a camera. I don't know how I would get that live feed into game maker. How could I bring in a video feed and draw it to a surface? Is there a library?

I want the feed to come from a serial connection or something plugged into the local computer. I want to be able to control a robot through game maker. I can connect to an arduino in gm and do some interaction with it. I'm just day dreaming about this video idea.

I haven't touched on video with arduino and I wouldn't necessarily need the video feed to go through it. What can be done on the gm side? I think I need a dll...or some ideas!

Roa

I don't imagine there would be much you could do honestly. Not in gamemaker. No way you would get around using an extension. Not to my knowledge anyways. I don't think it would be too hard though. If you are using an arduino then it should come with all the software for busing the data around the board and turning the stream into bitmaps. If you can get that figured out, I cant imagine it would be any harder than finding a hardware ID and capturing the bits in a buffer and pushing that into gamemaker.

What do you mean by serial port? Like a cross over cable port? Or those ancient prehistoric wannabe USBs?

slayer 64

turning the stream into bitmaps. If you can get that figured out, I cant imagine it would be any harder than finding a hardware ID and capturing the bits in a buffer and pushing that into gamemaker.

What do you mean by serial port?
A USB cable with one end that is square and one that is normal.

If I sent data through the arduino serial cable I would need gm to draw it. I guess a buffer and a shader could perform that pretty fast. hmm...my old junk laptop doesn't support shaders. This good pc does, but I want the thing to run on a laptop too. Is there a way to find out why something can't run a simple shader? I mean really simple too, like, draw a pixel or don't draw one. Is there an error code or something I could look up?

Roa

Uhh, simply put, if your graphics card doesn't support the instruction set, it doesn't support the instruction sets. Nothing you can do about that. There is no way to bypass this I'm afraid :/ Should be able to do some modern shaders with shader ogl 4 or something. What shaders are not supported? All of them, or just a certain language. (I'm not expert on this)