• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Very Strange Graphic Glitch

R

Robert

Hello, so I was on Windows 8 and I guess last night I must of clicked the upgrade button because I just woke up and i am on Windows 10 now... Sigh... So I thought I would give it a shot but my game is now having some terrible glitching problems. I am in the process of making sure my drivers are all updated now, so that could be (I hope), but it's very odd.

It's only when I switch into fullscreen (alt+enter or my customer script) that I even see the glitching. It looks like the texture page is being drawn on top of everything at around 20% alpha and with a strange tint, and there also seems to be a ton of tearing on moving objects and just in general. I also can't seem to screen shot it as when I paste my screen shot it looks fine. I mean this is very odd, and my fear is that now I will have to go through this whole process of formatting my computer and getting windows 8 back on there. Why would they make it so by clicking the freaking upgrade windows button just once it puts windows 10 on there. I mean unless I "slept upgraded" the computer or a gremlin sneaked in and did it, I just don't see why it would of happened from a single click that I honestly don't even remember clicking. Arghhh.

So anyways, I am currently downloading new drivers, but if that fails, where should I look to try and fix this? What else could possibly cause this?

RangerX

If you can't screenshot it, first of all it means its not your game and probably not GMS.
Second thing, Microsoft had the wonderful idea to push Windows 10 upgrade through normal windows updates. So if you were on automatic windows update, you are automatically upgraded :p
Lucky you though, Window 10 is great and way better than 8 so....

R

Robert

Yea after doing some reading I discovered it was an automatic update and nothing I did, still super annoying though. Well, I updated my video drivers and it's still glitching out my game. I had to get to the office so i didn't have much time to toy around with it but when I get home here in a bit I will try a different game and see if its happening there too. I'm also downloading more updates that I may need, but I will be royally mad if after all of these updates it still wont play. I mean it's not just some little gltich, it's game breaking as you couldn't possibly sit there and play with the glitching.

Any suggestions? Anyone else ever have this problem?

F

F_Clowder

First I want to say that I am very happy with the move from Win7, which I loved I might add, to Win10. My computer feels "lighter" and a bit more stable than before. And it is an older computer, from around 2009.

Secondly, it took around a week for the whole install to be ironed out.

Sure, it was about a day's worth of installing the OS proper. But then it took several further days for the OS to check the machine and source all the appropriate drivers and such. I remember having video driver issues the first few days as Win10 didn't detect the on-board video chip correctly. That meant I had a few days of GMS appearing to have video glitches. But it was cleaned up within a few days as the OS kept adding "new" things it discovered on my computer.

R

Robert

Well the display drivers are updated and there are no more windows updates left. I am having the problem with any game I try to play from GM, it also happens if I install the game and play it like that. WTF is going on here. I can't screen shot the problem so I can't even really get any help because no one knows what I am talking about, searching online isn't turning up anything helpful, I mean WWTTFFFF... Everything was fine before this mother fudging update and now I gotta spend the next couple hours either trying to further debug this garbage or the next couple hours reverting this trash off my computer. So freaking annoyed.

R

Robert

Oh I also tried disabled the windows game overlay as that was recommend by a couple other people but it didn't do anything. It's only when I switch into fullscreen mode and it's like the texture page is being drawn on top of everything, why?

R

Robert

Alright I might have over reacted just a little, it's been a long day. I figured it out, I used amdcleanup and then reinstalled a fresh download of the drivers and it worked. Phew... I installed/uninstalled the drivers a couple times, but it wasn't until I ran amdcleanup that it actually fixed it. Very strange, and annoying, and I still hate that they automatically forced my pc to upgrade. Especially since it's not free. It's only free until the end of july and then Id have to buy it? So I had everything just the way I wanted it, didn't owe anyone anything, then they just automatically upgrade my stuff and say its free, but only for a little while and thennnn you gotta pay? Someone at work today said that you have to pay a subscription fee for windows 10, is that true?

By the way, heres the link to the amd clean up if anyone else gets this problem:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

F

F_Clowder

I believe it's a free install up until the deadline. If a person has not upgraded their computer before that time, then it costs them. So, you should be fine.

Edit- BTW glad to hear you got things sorted.

R

Robert

Well what do you mean, your saying windows 10 is mine, for free, forever? I could of sworn that it was only a limited time, maybe a year or something, but still limited none the less. I could be wrong, I'm not sure. What about if my copy of windows 7 wasn't legit? I'm not saying it wasn't, but does that make a difference I wonder? Hmm