• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Very high GPU usage in IDE (M1 Pro)

danstro

Hi all, first post on the forum.
I've transferred from a Windows laptop to a MBP with the M1 Pro chip. Using the IDE, the GPU usage has jumped from my usual 5-15% on Intel graphics to 90-95% on the Mac, making the UI very slow.
The CPU and memory usage is low and stable. I've tried reinstalling and updating GMS 2 and the OS with no avail. Dropping the resolution to 1080p reduces the load to 75%. It might be the architecture of the chip causing the problem?
Has anybody else experienced this issue, and is there a fix for this? ThanksScreen Shot 2021-12-03 at 14.35.48.png

Roldy

Yeah at present the IDE seems to hit the GPU: 70%-90% GPU utilization just sitting at the start page no project open. That is on a M1 Mac Mini Monterey, GMS 2.3.7.604 (latest).

But other than that number being high, I actually don't have any issues; IDE and system are responsive and built games run fine (no high GPU usage). But seeing as you are on a laptop It might be hitting your battery pretty hard.

However, alot of the GUI stuff has changed and its just now that the most recent update runs on M1 native. Its safe to assume IDE and M1 support is a work in progress.

On the known issues page this issue says it has been fixed internally. So maybe next update?

Performance: [Mac IDE] CPU/GPU usage is too high in 2.3.7 Betas when DPI override is enabled, IDE runs slowly