• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Released Vehicle Buster [ RELEASED ; OPEN SOURCE ]

D

DarthTenebris

Thread thread = new Thread();
thread.bump();

While I'm here I'd like to point out the amount of reviews I get are dropping - I wonder why? Someone care to explain? :p
Anyway here's the next update:

UPDATE: alpha 1.0.5.0
Changelog:
- Added a new terrain type for level 9 - 16 :D
- Added level 9 and 10
- Bugfixes

Please try it out and leave a review on my game :)

Really looking forward to some reviews guys...
I'd like to know your opinion on my game... That a lot? :(

D

DarthTenebris

thread.bump();

Looking for feedback guys... :(
At least tell me what's wrong with my game that makes it so bad no one gives feedback...

D

DarthTenebris

thread.bump();

Feedback anyone? :(

D

DarthTenebris

Thread bump :(
Please I need reviews to see what I need to add to the next update. That's how I generate updates.

Gamerev147

Soo I was going to test your game but right off the bat there are things you need to fix...

I launched the game and on the menu every single line of text had ".text" written after it. Fix that.
I went to click play and I got this error:

of Step Event0
for object obj_level1:

Variable obj_boot.<unknown variable>(100030, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_level1_Step_0
############################################################################################

D

DarthTenebris

@Gamerev147 FINALLY some feedback. Had nothing to do if I wasn't fixing bugs and adding new features that come to my mind at that time. Highly appreciate your feedback. :D

As for the text, you need to extract the file "lang.ini" for English or "lang2.ini" for Indonesian (and later rename it to "lang.ini"). After extraction, place it in "%appdata%\Vehicle_Buster" (without quotes). So the final path would be "%appdata%\Vehicle_Buster\lang.ini" (without quotes).

I will fix the bug you mentioned in an update. Again, really appreciate the feedback. :)

[UPDATE]
I don't seem to be able to replicate the bug you mentioned - try out the new update and see if it's still there? If it is, try deleting the game directory along with all files in it. Then follow the steps above to put the language files back.

If it still bugs around after, can you try to upload a video or .gif image of what's happening? Be sure to include a shot of what the game directory looks like in your file explorer (I'd like to compare what the differences between your directory and mine are).

Thanks for the review :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DarthTenebris

UPDATE: alpha 1.0.5.1
Changelog:
- Minor Bugfixes

Gamerev147

UPDATE: alpha 1.0.5.1
Changelog:
- Minor Bugfixes

The latest version; following all steps you gave me. I've also tried launching it multiple times.

Looking at the error, you have a variable that doesn't exists being called on obj_boot.
Example:
obj_boot.<unknown variable>

D

DarthTenebris

The latest version; following all steps you gave me. I've also tried launching it multiple times.

Looking at the error, you have a variable that doesn't exists being called on obj_boot.
Example:
obj_boot.<unknown variable>
Oh dear. I am seriously running out of ideas. I mean, it works just fine on my laptop... I only have one device to test on - thats where I do development and testing. I suppose I'll have to look further... :(

Thanks for feedback, will be looking into this.

woodsmoke

Tip: No new screenshots, 80% empty bumps, and telling people you have/had ransomware on your computer, don't make a download attactive.

D

DarthTenebris

Tip: No new screenshots, 80% empty bumps, and telling people you have/had ransomware on your computer, don't make a download attactive.
Thank you for the tip. :)

As for everyone else, if you read the above posts, you will see that @Gamerev147 had a problem where the game wouldn't startn up with an error on obj_boot. Unfortunately I am unable to replicate such a problem on my device. Even worse, I only have one device - to develop and test on. It ran perfectly fine on my device. So I am wondering:

1) Would it make a difference if I installed a VM on my device and tested it there? Would it be equivalent to testing it on a different machine?

2) Can someone else test this and see if you get the same error as @Gamerev147 did?

Thank you for your time. :)

Gamerev147

Thank you for the tip. :)

As for everyone else, if you read the above posts, you will see that @Gamerev147 had a problem where the game wouldn't startn up with an error on obj_boot. Unfortunately I am unable to replicate such a problem on my device. Even worse, I only have one device - to develop and test on. It ran perfectly fine on my device. So I am wondering:

1) Would it make a difference if I installed a VM on my device and tested it there? Would it be equivalent to testing it on a different machine?

2) Can someone else test this and see if you get the same error as @Gamerev147 did?

Thank you for your time. :)
Why not send me the source code? I can see what's wrong with it.

D

DarthTenebris

Why not send me the source code? I can see what's wrong with it.
Concerned about the future of this game :p
But yeah, I'm on vacation for the moment - I'm on my phone right now. I'll PM you the project when I get back. :)
PS: Please don't leak the source anywhere ok? :S

Gamerev147

Concerned about the future of this game :p
But yeah, I'm on vacation for the moment - I'm on my phone right now. I'll PM you the project when I get back. :)
PS: Please don't leak the source anywhere ok? :S
I have no interest in leaking the source. There are obvious issues with the game. I would like to see what's causing the errors.

D

DarthTenebris

@Gamerev147 Sent source code. But I'm not certain what I should be looking for, as it runs perfectly fine on my device.

For everyone else, see the question on post #62.
Also please try out and leave a review (if it doesn't crash) :)

D

DarthTenebris

UPDATE: alpha 1.0.5.2
Changelog:
- Attempted to fix crash

I'd like to know if it still crashes. Please do let me know :)

D

DarthTenebris

Thread bump :)
I have a question for you people - what would you like to see in the future? (aside from more levels and better graphics and sounds)

D

DarthTenebris

Hello, if you want your thread to live on, then try not to write down the same thing every few hours, that just annoys people (Just a heads up on this real quick:p), I do LOVE your game though and I will be expecting more from this in the future! :D Try to upgrade your graphics to make it look WAY better..(If you want but thats your choice)? Good job man! :bunny:
Thank you for the advice. :)
I highly appreciate it :)

D

DarthTenebris

UPDATE: alpha 1.0.5.3
Changelog:
- Toughened up the base
- Added level 11
- Bugfixes

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I'm back to school - I therefore have much less time to work on projects. The reason I started again is because, it's almost December 29 2017. In case you didn't realize, Vehicle Buster alpha 1.0.0.0 was released on December 29 2016. It's been a year - man do I feel old now. PS: If you have a suggestion as to what I can do to celebrate 1 year of my game (other than better graphics and sounds - I've heard enough of that. something other than that please, such as more vehicle types, more weapons, more mechanics, etc.), please do leave a comment.

Gamerev147

If it's been a year, take people's advice and feedback; re-vamp the game, and release it to Steam or something.
Don't let it sit in feedback alpha...

D

DarthTenebris

Thank you for the advice :)

But I should point out, the reason the graphics and sound effects don't change is because it is very hard to find a resource that fits to my taste. How long did I take to change the tiles? Insane amount of time needed to find the perfect tile. I understand it would be faster if I could hire someone to make customs, but that will cost money. And I can't afford a single cent. I'm underage anyway to make contracts like that.

But I can at least try to get it to steam. :3
EDIT: Nvm I need $100 to publish which I can't afford... Maybe itch.io will do...

Gamerev147

Thank you for the advice :)

But I should point out, the reason the graphics and sound effects don't change is because it is very hard to find a resource that fits to my taste. How long did I take to change the tiles? Insane amount of time needed to find the perfect tile. I understand it would be faster if I could hire someone to make customs, but that will cost money. And I can't afford a single cent. I'm underage anyway to make contracts like that.

But I can at least try to get it to steam. :3
EDIT: Nvm I need $100 to publish which I can't afford... Maybe itch.io will do...
Save your money. Marketing and publishing is all about risk.

D

DarthTenebris

UPDATE: alpha 1.0.5.4
Changelog:
- Added a new weapon - the tesla tower! It has some special abilites!
- Added level 12

itch.io web set up, 1 year celebration is going to be the next step of the game's development - release on itch.io and the exit out of alpha stage. Most likely going to step up to beta stage - but I leave a tiny chance of this game to go straight to official release. I did not plan this game to be this big, back then at the release of alpha 1.0.0.0 I was just copying and combining multiple video tutorials and my logic to create a working tower defense and that was it. But then @Geoff Jones pointed out a bug that was in my opinion quite severe to be left out, so I released an update to fix that specific bug. Never have I thought would that be the step to unlock a strong sense of motivation to fix even more bugs and add even more content and to polish it even more. Thank you for all the support the community has given during throughout the early development of this game, I really appreciate it. But unfortunately, it is getting out of hand, the project is growing much bigger than I expected it to, and unfortunately that means I don't have the time and resources to keep up with community demands (*cough* better graphics *cough*). I do plan on keeping this project maintained and updated - but only time can tell whether I can actually keep this project maintained and updated.
TL;DR : Thank you for the support given during the early development of this project, however while I do plan on keeping this project maintained, only time can tell if I can keep this project maintained. :
)

D

DarthTenebris

The Future of Vehicle Buster Game

I have decided that I am too lazy to make more content to this game ( :p ) - so instead, I will simply leave this project which has aged to almost a year (so I can focus on making more projects, learning more, and experimenting more). I will also leave behind the source code to the most recent version of this game, and the changelog, and hidden secrets to this game (which I never posted about - that's why it's secret :p ). It will all be put into a single compressed file for ease of download.

I am very thankful to the people who have helped develop this game, providing feedback to make it better. I never expected the game to grow this big, but it is now demanding more attention than I can give - I have the options to leave, or provide updates at a very slow rate (I am running out of ideas XD). Rather than providing slow updates, I chose to give this project to the community to see the behind the scenes if they were to be curious, and also to hopefully have someone "inherit" this game and continue it's life (but I wouldn't be surprised of no one does).

Once again, thank you for the support given, from beginning to end of this project.

PS: Final update to this game, release 1.1.0.0
====================
RIP Vehicle Buster
29 December 2016 ~ 07 October 2017
(alpha 1.0.0.0) ~ (release 1.1.0.0)
====================

Game, source code, hidden secrets, and anything else I forgot to mention: Vehicle Buster [ release 1.1.0.0 ]

PS: I will accept and try to answer any questions you may have regarding the source code :)