• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Vectorial graphics on a non-budget?

T

Toxicosis

I saw GMS only takes .swf files and spine for its vectorials. I wanted to ask, what's the best way to make .swf files? As I understand it currently only Adobe Animator can make .swf files. However, the only free version available is a 1-week trial.

While theoretically I could subscribe for $49.99/mo to the full version of the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and get unlimited access to Animator, that seems like a pretty hefty expenditure for me, and there are other complications involved. So while I understand that'd be the best idea, it is, for now, off the table.

Right now I'm considering making most of my graphics in GIMP, then getting the trial version of Animate to put them together in a GMS-compatible format through simple copypaste. I could do it in a week, if I do absolutely all of the work outside that program. However, this is not quite optimal, as it gives me a very tight timeframe to spot errors in. Besides, I don't know if GIMP can export vectorials in a format that Animate can import.

I heard there were some 3rd party programs and scripts that make .swf out of other kinds of files, but that seems needlessly complicated. Short of finding myself a friend with access to the program and seeing about giving him a near-completed set of assets he only needs to hit import, then export on, are there other ways?

Thanks for your time.

O

Oz Locke

Searching the forum in hopes of an answer to exactly this :(
I use Inkscape to create vectors, it also can't do SWF files

JacPete

i wouldnt use vector graphics on game maker, they may look cool but they are an performance killer. i think the better way is to export it to png and work with these files.

S

SunnySunzo

Quick google search brought up this site.
Be wary though, I never trust any site on first glance, and you might wanna use incognito before surfing it to avoid it writing in your temp folder.

S

Sudo_Radish

I have not personally done it but I know people that have in the past and it seemed to work. I know Inkscape has some plugins that work for converting to Adobe formats.

jazzzar

I Use inkscape and i actually export to bitmap, heard that vectors are performance heavy if used much in a game which will be obviously the case in a complete game

Hi!

Just purchased DrawPlus X8, and was able to export as swf. I then imported the file into GM:S. It looked fine in-game, but when opening the sprite itself it was just a white, pixelated mess, which means you can't preview it properly. GM:S also threw a warning about this when I imported the swf. I don't know if the problem lies with GM:S or DrawPlus yet.