Feedback Vearo (V14) Action/Adventure (Inspired by Hyper Light Drifter) [DEMO] [DISCORD]

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Tayoyo, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Thanks for the feedback. It's still really earlier in development, and I have lot's of ideas for the future to make it more of my game and less like HLD. I'm trying to recreate the art style from HLD, which is why it looks so similar, but I haven't stolen anything. I've done every animation, sprite and line of code for this game. I'm really glad that you took the time to give me feedback; it means a lot to me. If you want to chat about it or are interested in know more, feel free to come join the discord server.

Thanks! I hope it turns out well!

Carloskhard likes this.
  2. Carloskhard

Carloskhard Member

Another thing I've just checked out watching your videos is that you should work on lights and shadows and a parallax background,since that makes easier understand the 3D/depth of the places :)

Tayoyo likes this.
  3. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

I have some more important things to do first (like making the starting area and writing the story), but I will at least give that kind of thing a try before launch

Carloskhard likes this.
  4. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Another update is out!

5. Malachai55

Malachai55 Member

Vearo is too good, better try lowering the quality:p

Tayoyo likes this.
  6. StoneTide

StoneTide Member

Very nice, the combat looks great so far!

7. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Thanks man. Btw, you should really think about making your game advertisement smaller. If you wanna keep it that big, use spoilers, otherwise people are gonna get annoyed.

StoneTide likes this.
  8. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Back from the dead!

9. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Sorry that it took me so long to post again. Exams came along and completely messed up my schedule. I'm still updating and trying to get back on schedule!

10. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Sorry for such a long wait. I finally got something out and here it is!

11. stevenmelin

stevenmelin Member

@Tayoyo - This looks really great! I agree that the art style is a bit too copy-cat of HLD, but I think there's plenty of room for you to pay homage to the original style while pioneering your own style & gameplay.

As @sp202 mentioned above, the audio is completely lacking heart, which is the emotional centerpiece of this Adventure / Metroidvania style, especially HLD due to its lack of dialogue & bright, vibrant artwork. A game this beautiful demands great sound ;)

I have a handful of tracks that I think fit your game perfectly. Look out for a PM.

12. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Alrighty :D I'm still making progress and slowly moving away from HLD with every update, but I wanted to use it as a kind of base setup before I started branching off

13. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Sorry for such a long wait. I hope that people are happy with this! Finally back to weekly updates!

14. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Hey I'm just wondering now if people like my update style that I'm going with, or if I should change it instead. I was thinking instead of editing the initial post every time I would just post a new one instead, and I was also thinking of not putting out a demo every time I put out a video, and instead move that to every two weeks. Any ideas?

15. Smiechu

Smiechu Member

Is it a problem with video recording, or is it so?? I see glitch every time when enemy dies. By glitch I mean that game freezes, like this one frame would be overloaded.

Tayoyo likes this.
  16. Morendral

Morendral Member

I don't think that making people scroll for updates is a good strategy. This is especially true for people who are new to the thread and will think your game is perpetually stuck in early dev

Tayoyo likes this.
  17. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

I put that there on purpose. It's called a freeze frame and it's there to make the combat more "punchy" and satisfying, although if it's getting to the point where people really don't like it I could always lower it a little

Alright I'll keep going with what I have then. Thanks :D

18. sp202

sp202 Member

I suggest you update the main post while also making a new post in the thread, would be nice if you kept a history of updates inside spoiler tags as well.

19. Smiechu

Smiechu Member

You have already the camera shake, maybe when you play live it gives a better feeling, but on the video it looks like a glitch.

20. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Good idea! I'll start doing that, and I'll try and go back to find some of my old changelogs.

I think that it feels really good in play I don't barely notice it now because I play my game so much :D

21. Dublan

Dublan Member

Looks fantastic!! I would suggest to add more animations into mages

22. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

A new update is out! Tell me what you think!

23. Yong

Yong Member

Hey, I just gave your demo a try! (thanks for trying out my game btw ;) )

I got to the end of the demo! Here's some general feedback:

UX/UI
    - Opening screen is great! Especially when the music kicks in.
    - I know it's still a demo, but I don't think you should be using Esc as the auto-quit button. I pressed it expecting the game to pause and it shut down instead lol.
    - In the inventory, you can only use E to equip, perhaps you can allow the use of Enter or Space too?

Gameplay
    - Landing a hit feels satisfying.
    - You can feel the impact of being hit so that's great.
    - Enemies' death is also quite satisfying.

- I think the recovery time might be too long after the 3rd slash? I get that you shouldn't be able to attack non-stop, but the energy bar already takes care of that don't you think? If the attack animation had been different for the 3rd hit (something like a final blow/ heavy attack), then I think the delay would be reasonable, otherwise it feels like the game is not responding to my button input.
    - Related to the previous point. There is a recovery period after each attack where the dash doesn't work. But I feel that dashing is a clutch move, meant for last-min dodges and not being able to when I needed it was quite frustrating. If it was me I'd let the dash take priority over other moves (like moves cancellation in fighting games).
    - I find myself dropping off edges rather frequently. It feels like there's a recovery period in dashing too and I can't dash as much as I want to.
    - I'm not so sure about the healing mechanic. During the big encounter with the multiple mages near the end I would stand at a distance and let my health heal back up before engaging them whenever my health dropped too low. Rinse and repeat. It feels like that kinda breaks the pace of the fighting and made it more of a slow grind instead.

Possible bug
    - While chasing after me, a solider walked off the edge and died lolll.

Something you might also want to take note is that it took me quite a while before I realized that health will auto replenish when energy is full.

Alright, that's all I have. I think there's definitely potential here if you continue to differentiate it from HLD. Your main trouble will be (I think) generating enough content for a full game.

24. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

Thanks for all the details. They're all really helpful. I'll look into try a few of these things out and see how they feel. I think that the best way to fix player hiding and healing might be making it so enemies also heal if you leave them for too long, or make it so the player can't heal when enemies are attacking them. Having an animation for when the player finishes a combo is a pretty good idea. I'll definitely work on that and make the recovery time a bit slower, but the other ones will probably stay the same. Thanks for the advice so much. It's really helpful :D

25. Dividious

Dividious Member

seems pretty well made, didn't see Link or the Drifter anywhere... got alot of unused assets would like to see utilized, as well as the storyboards with the 12 brothers and the powerful rings that can suck out souls.

Tinsel Flippyhug

Tayoyo likes this.
  26. Tayoyo

Tayoyo Member

What are you talking about? I really hope I didn't put out the game files by accident. You shouldn't be able to see that stuff. Thanks for the praise anyways

27. Malachai55

Malachai55 Member

There's too many bugs
    Please fix them
    I want to know
    where my family is
    Sincerely,
    The Tanemo Mercenary

28. Malachai55

Malachai55 Member

Too Many Bugs