Demo Vearo (V15) Action/Adventure (Inspired by Hyper Light Drifter) [DEMO] [DISCORD]

T

Tayoyo

Amazing man! The game is going really well,graphics looks good but there is stuff you could improve:
As everyone said,you should increase the normal speed of the character so it doesnt gets boring.Maker enemies move more not just shoot you standing quiet and at the same rhythmn.
But overall: Try making your game different from HLD! As far as I've seen you've use lots of assets from the game,animations,maps...,which is not bad if they are just provisional,but if you follow like that is just going to be a poor copy of HLD.Try adding your style and changing stuff.What I'm doing with my game and I've seen working on others games like "shovel knight" or the new mario game is taking a lot of stuff from diferent games.Take what you like the most of other games and use that to improve your game,which right now is very much just a copy of HLD.
Seriously I think you are doing a great work and if you add your story and style to this game to make it different it will be awesome!
Try checking out "CRAWL".
I'll be checking for updates :) Work hard!
Thanks for the feedback. It's still really earlier in development, and I have lot's of ideas for the future to make it more of my game and less like HLD. I'm trying to recreate the art style from HLD, which is why it looks so similar, but I haven't stolen anything. I've done every animation, sprite and line of code for this game. I'm really glad that you took the time to give me feedback; it means a lot to me. If you want to chat about it or are interested in know more, feel free to come join the discord server.

Looks really good! Can't wait to see this project go further!
Thanks! I hope it turns out well!

Carloskhard

Another thing I've just checked out watching your videos is that you should work on lights and shadows and a parallax background,since that makes easier understand the 3D/depth of the places :)

T

Tayoyo

Another thing I've just checked out watching your videos is that you should work on lights and shadows and a parallax background,since that makes easier understand the 3D/depth of the places :)
I have some more important things to do first (like making the starting area and writing the story), but I will at least give that kind of thing a try before launch

T

Tayoyo

Very nice, the combat looks great so far!
Thanks man. Btw, you should really think about making your game advertisement smaller. If you wanna keep it that big, use spoilers, otherwise people are gonna get annoyed.

T

Tayoyo

Sorry that it took me so long to post again. Exams came along and completely messed up my schedule. I'm still updating and trying to get back on schedule!

T

Tayoyo

Sorry for such a long wait. I finally got something out and here it is!

S

stevenmelin

@Tayoyo - This looks really great! I agree that the art style is a bit too copy-cat of HLD, but I think there's plenty of room for you to pay homage to the original style while pioneering your own style & gameplay.

As @sp202 mentioned above, the audio is completely lacking heart, which is the emotional centerpiece of this Adventure / Metroidvania style, especially HLD due to its lack of dialogue & bright, vibrant artwork. A game this beautiful demands great sound ;)

I have a handful of tracks that I think fit your game perfectly. Look out for a PM.

T

Tayoyo

@Tayoyo - This looks really great! I agree that the art style is a bit too copy-cat of HLD, but I think there's plenty of room for you to pay homage to the original style while pioneering your own style & gameplay.

As @sp202 mentioned above, the audio is completely lacking heart, which is the emotional centerpiece of this Adventure / Metroidvania style, especially HLD due to its lack of dialogue & bright, vibrant artwork. A game this beautiful demands great sound ;)

I have a handful of tracks that I think fit your game perfectly. Look out for a PM.
Alrighty :D I'm still making progress and slowly moving away from HLD with every update, but I wanted to use it as a kind of base setup before I started branching off

T

Tayoyo

Sorry for such a long wait. I hope that people are happy with this! Finally back to weekly updates!

T

Tayoyo

Hey I'm just wondering now if people like my update style that I'm going with, or if I should change it instead. I was thinking instead of editing the initial post every time I would just post a new one instead, and I was also thinking of not putting out a demo every time I put out a video, and instead move that to every two weeks. Any ideas?

Smiechu

Is it a problem with video recording, or is it so?? I see glitch every time when enemy dies. By glitch I mean that game freezes, like this one frame would be overloaded.

Morendral

Hey I'm just wondering now if people like my update style that I'm going with, or if I should change it instead. I was thinking instead of editing the initial post every time I would just post a new one instead, and I was also thinking of not putting out a demo every time I put out a video, and instead move that to every two weeks. Any ideas?
I don't think that making people scroll for updates is a good strategy. This is especially true for people who are new to the thread and will think your game is perpetually stuck in early dev

T

Tayoyo

Is it a problem with video recording, or is it so?? I see glitch every time when enemy dies. By glitch I mean that game freezes, like this one frame would be overloaded.
I put that there on purpose. It's called a freeze frame and it's there to make the combat more "punchy" and satisfying, although if it's getting to the point where people really don't like it I could always lower it a little

I don't think that making people scroll for updates is a good strategy. This is especially true for people who are new to the thread and will think your game is perpetually stuck in early dev
Alright I'll keep going with what I have then. Thanks :D

sp202

I suggest you update the main post while also making a new post in the thread, would be nice if you kept a history of updates inside spoiler tags as well.

Smiechu

I put that there on purpose. It's called a freeze frame and it's there to make the combat more "punchy" and satisfying, although if it's getting to the point where people really don't like it I could always lower it a little.
You have already the camera shake, maybe when you play live it gives a better feeling, but on the video it looks like a glitch.

T

Tayoyo

I suggest you update the main post while also making a new post in the thread, would be nice if you kept a history of updates inside spoiler tags as well.
Good idea! I'll start doing that, and I'll try and go back to find some of my old changelogs.

You have already the camera shake, maybe when you play live it gives a better feeling, but on the video it looks like a glitch.
I think that it feels really good in play I don't barely notice it now because I play my game so much :D

D

Dublan

Looks fantastic!! I would suggest to add more animations into mages

Yong

Hey, I just gave your demo a try! (thanks for trying out my game btw ;) )

I got to the end of the demo! Here's some general feedback:

UX/UI
- Opening screen is great! Especially when the music kicks in.
- I know it's still a demo, but I don't think you should be using Esc as the auto-quit button. I pressed it expecting the game to pause and it shut down instead lol.
- In the inventory, you can only use E to equip, perhaps you can allow the use of Enter or Space too?

Gameplay
- Landing a hit feels satisfying.
- You can feel the impact of being hit so that's great.
- Enemies' death is also quite satisfying.

- I think the recovery time might be too long after the 3rd slash? I get that you shouldn't be able to attack non-stop, but the energy bar already takes care of that don't you think? If the attack animation had been different for the 3rd hit (something like a final blow/ heavy attack), then I think the delay would be reasonable, otherwise it feels like the game is not responding to my button input.
- Related to the previous point. There is a recovery period after each attack where the dash doesn't work. But I feel that dashing is a clutch move, meant for last-min dodges and not being able to when I needed it was quite frustrating. If it was me I'd let the dash take priority over other moves (like moves cancellation in fighting games).
- I find myself dropping off edges rather frequently. It feels like there's a recovery period in dashing too and I can't dash as much as I want to.
- I'm not so sure about the healing mechanic. During the big encounter with the multiple mages near the end I would stand at a distance and let my health heal back up before engaging them whenever my health dropped too low. Rinse and repeat. It feels like that kinda breaks the pace of the fighting and made it more of a slow grind instead.

Possible bug
- While chasing after me, a solider walked off the edge and died lolll.

Something you might also want to take note is that it took me quite a while before I realized that health will auto replenish when energy is full.

Alright, that's all I have. I think there's definitely potential here if you continue to differentiate it from HLD. Your main trouble will be (I think) generating enough content for a full game.

T

Tayoyo

Hey, I just gave your demo a try! (thanks for trying out my game btw ;) )

I got to the end of the demo! Here's some general feedback:

UX/UI
- Opening screen is great! Especially when the music kicks in.
- I know it's still a demo, but I don't think you should be using Esc as the auto-quit button. I pressed it expecting the game to pause and it shut down instead lol.
- In the inventory, you can only use E to equip, perhaps you can allow the use of Enter or Space too?

Gameplay
- Landing a hit feels satisfying.
- You can feel the impact of being hit so that's great.
- Enemies' death is also quite satisfying.

- I think the recovery time might be too long after the 3rd slash? I get that you shouldn't be able to attack non-stop, but the energy bar already takes care of that don't you think? If the attack animation had been different for the 3rd hit (something like a final blow/ heavy attack), then I think the delay would be reasonable, otherwise it feels like the game is not responding to my button input.
- Related to the previous point. There is a recovery period after each attack where the dash doesn't work. But I feel that dashing is a clutch move, meant for last-min dodges and not being able to when I needed it was quite frustrating. If it was me I'd let the dash take priority over other moves (like moves cancellation in fighting games).
- I find myself dropping off edges rather frequently. It feels like there's a recovery period in dashing too and I can't dash as much as I want to.
- I'm not so sure about the healing mechanic. During the big encounter with the multiple mages near the end I would stand at a distance and let my health heal back up before engaging them whenever my health dropped too low. Rinse and repeat. It feels like that kinda breaks the pace of the fighting and made it more of a slow grind instead.

Possible bug
- While chasing after me, a solider walked off the edge and died lolll.

Something you might also want to take note is that it took me quite a while before I realized that health will auto replenish when energy is full.

Alright, that's all I have. I think there's definitely potential here if you continue to differentiate it from HLD. Your main trouble will be (I think) generating enough content for a full game.
Thanks for all the details. They're all really helpful. I'll look into try a few of these things out and see how they feel. I think that the best way to fix player hiding and healing might be making it so enemies also heal if you leave them for too long, or make it so the player can't heal when enemies are attacking them. Having an animation for when the player finishes a combo is a pretty good idea. I'll definitely work on that and make the recovery time a bit slower, but the other ones will probably stay the same. Thanks for the advice so much. It's really helpful :D

Dividious

seems pretty well made, didn't see Link or the Drifter anywhere... got alot of unused assets would like to see utilized, as well as the storyboards with the 12 brothers and the powerful rings that can suck out souls.

Tinsel Flippyhug

T

Tayoyo

seems pretty well made, didn't see Link or the Drifter anywhere... got alot of unused assets would like to see utilized, as well as the storyboards with the 12 brothers and the powerful rings that can suck out souls.

Tinsel Flippyhug
What are you talking about? I really hope I didn't put out the game files by accident. You shouldn't be able to see that stuff. Thanks for the praise anyways

M

Malachai55

Check out my Discord, this is where you can talk to me and give me feedback, or post your fanart!
Check out my Twitter, this is where you can see my updates as soon as they happen, and maybe see some of my unfinished work
Check out my YouTube channel, this is where I post all my update videos

UPDATE #14 is here!
Update #14(July 8, 2018)

What I did over the past week.

-Changed the dark green sword to a dark redish purple

-Made the dark blue sword a little lighter

-Made the pink sword white

-Made the lighter green sword a little lighter

-Finally eradicated the infinite fall glitch. It was strong, but I finally prevailed. Now you won't spawn close to where you fell off the edge anymore but you can no longer fall forever :D

-Made it so the player doesn't create blood splats or blood particles when taking falling damage

-The player now takes 17 damage from falling instead of 10

-Diagonal ledges seem to be working a bit better now

-Added in animations for falling in all directions

-Made it so walking diagonally off a cliff keeps you're momentum going

-Updated the banner and avatar for my youtube channel

-Updated the signature for my GMC account, and changed the avatar

-Made the freezeframes a 45 milliseconds shorter

-WHITE & NAVY BLUE CLOAK : Energy does not recharge on it's own, dashing & slashing do not requires energy, slash enemies to regain 5 energy

-BROWN CLOAK : Reduced fall damage, projectiles deal 5 less damage, can knock back projectiles without spending energy (slashing still takes energy though)

-BLUE & BROWN CLOAK : Movement speed is lower, HP regenerates twice as fast, energy does not deplete from slashing

-Changed the icon for the game to something a little better

-Added in some of the older changelogs onto the GMC page

-Made the darker parts of the cloak in the inventory screen change to the right colour

-Possibly fixed a small bug

-Made enemies less likely to get stuck because the player's coordinates were in the walls

-Made the game start you off instantly in the first area

-Inventory no longer shows energy or cloak I.D.

-Fixed a bug where the player could still attack even if they didn't have enough energy
:D
July 8, 2018

Vearo is an action/adventure story game taking place in a world filled to the brim with death, most of which is caused by you. Take control of an empty vessel and bring them to life as you fight your way to fix all the problems that they caused... but only if you want to...

I was inspired by things like Hyper Light Drifter, Undertale, Adventure Time, Dark Souls, Towerfall, Overgrowth and the Last of Us and I really wanted to make a cool game so here it is.
I have put a year in the development into this game, and now it is finally (kinda) ready to get play tested by you guys.

I update Vearo weekly. Keep an eye out for the next update every Saturday or Sunday.

Try the demo or watch a playthrough!

Playthrough V.14

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2mbx6sas6xvwvb/Vearo v14 July 8 Demo.zip?dl=0
Demo V.14
-WASD to move
-ENTER to slash
-SPACE to dash
-E to interact
-I to open/close inventory. Use enter to select a sword
-F to shoot a magic blast //Doesn't work yet
-Up/Down to change cloak
All of the controls are also in the game. Have fun!
All feedback is welcome, I'd love to hear what everyone has to say, and I'll reply to every question.

Older Versions
-Made the health bar and energy bar percentile based instead of point based. This will allow for some new things to get added

-Added chickens into the chicken room

-Made it so the energy bars turn into the proper colours when you change you sword

-Concept art for dogs has been started on

-Completely stolen all of the assets from HLD, Legend of Zelda Link to the past and Dark souls and combined them into my game

-Changed some of the cloak colours, removed the pure white and gross colour one.

-Fixed a few game breaking bugs that crashed the game

-Fixed a bug where you couldn't go back through a doorway

-Made it so that the player can no longer interact with doors while falling

-Added in a new enemy called the brute. These guys move slower and attack slower than regular enemies, but also do more damage to the player and have more HP. I'm gonna make these guys deflect projectiles back at you if the you try to knock stuff at them sometime later. Also, they don't have any animations(edited)

-Fixed a bug where grunts would sometimes flash as guards for a split second

-Fixed a bug where the health bar would be behind the inventory screen

-Energy recharges automatically, and once it's full health will begin to regen. Energy now depletes everytime you take a hit, cast a spell, dash, perfom a charged slash or regular slash

-Removed the heal spell, as healing is already automatic.

-Added in a pink sword and a dark green sword.

-Some cloaks now has passive effects

-GREEN & GREY CLOAK : Slowly regenerate HP even when energy is not maxed out, energy regenerates slower(edited)

- RED CLOAK : Taking damage does not reduce energy, and neither does dashing.

-BRIGHT BLUE & PURPLE CLOAK : hp regens faster at max energy, energy regens faster at max hp, energy regens slower when not at max hp

-Lowered the amount of chickens that are in the chicken room

-Completely removed all chickens as they're messing with the blood particles of enemies for somer reason
-Using up and down on the keyboard you can cycle through different cloak colours. Your cloak colour also affects the dash effect and the animation when you respawn
-Changed the design and colours of the swords. I've also changed the inventory a little, like by animating the more detailed version of the player, which also changes its cloak colour
-Made it so that the player cannot be hit with fireballs will falling
-Added some more details to the last couple of levels -Fixed a graphical bug where random pixels would appear when slashing
-Made the swords part of the cloak palette which now makes it easier to update the animations and change the colours -Town has been taken out of the demo for now
-Added in a developer mode to make is easier to toggle things on and off
-Now displays Vearo as program name when running the game
-Fixed a bug where you could avoid taking damage by being hit during your attack animation
-Fixed a bug where the player would get stuck in the "Take Damage" state randomly. It shouldn't happen anymore :)
-Changed the look of the mages, and changes some of their animations
-Added in a damaged state that all enemies will go into when they're at or below 1 HP
-Added in a new enemy that is very similar to the old spear enemies. They move faster and are easier to kill, and also do less damage to the player. Also they don't have any animations, so they just slide after you in a really scary fashion
-Made the game change log public on the discord. If you wanna know about updates as soon as they happen you can keep up to date there
-Made mages shoot fireballs a little slower when they're damaged -Made fire balls do 1.25 damage instead of 1.00
-Fixed a bug where blood particles wouldn’t spawn if you entered, left and came back into a room
-Added a rough version of the town
-Started working on the official demo levels
-Made it so the player can’t accidently dash over small platforms
-I've fixed a few colouring issues on the title screen
-Slightly changed the dash animation
-Fixed a bug where the inventory key could be spammed to break the game
-Fixed a bug where dashing into skeletons and destroying them gave you energy
-Added in enemy spawners, that spawn in enemies in waves for the player to fight
-Cleaned up the code to make it easier to add new things in
-Made it so that when moving diagnoally and attacking you attack sideways instead of up or down, as the player's animation showed them running sideways
-Fixed a bug where that breaks the game when loading a save
-Fixed a bug where the player would run on spot while in their inventory
-Fixed a few bugs with the enemy A.I.
-Added in a few new sound effects
-Improved the code for dialogue, making it easier to add new characters
-Added signs which the player can slice
-Added weapons that the player has to pick up and then equip to use
-Changed the look of the sword icons, but haven’t changed the player icon in the inventory. I’ll do that when I’m happy with the design, but until then they won't match up
-Loading and saving mechanics now works
-Improved room transition effect and added a walking animation
-Dashing now doesn't instantly come to a stop. There is a bit of a slowdown at the end.
-Changed the look of the energy and health bar
-Max energy now starts at 10 instead of 8
-Max energy can be increased to 12 -Max health can be increased to 6
-Health no longer is instantly replenished when healing
-Healing now costs 4 energy instead of 3
-Added a small effect that shows where the player is even when they're behind walls.
-Fixed a bug where the vignette would show up in the death animation
-Screen shake has been greatly improved
-Every sword now has a slightly different sound effect
-Changed sound for footstep
-Enemy AI now has path-finding. I'm still trying to work out some bugs, but it works pretty well for the most part.
-Improved the look of the inventory
-Added money into the game. Every enemy in the game gives one gold coin upon death.
-Fought a huge war against the bug overlords. The saving and loading systems allowed a lot of bugs to sneak into the game, and I'm still trying to fight them off.
-Blood splats can now face any direction
-I added a vignette effect when low on health
-Did more concept art and story writing
-I finally found a title screen look that I like
-Animated the title screen
-Finished the "press enter" easter egg. Since there is no saving, it has no effect when you restart, but that will change once I figure out how to make the game save your mistakes :D
-Made music for the title screen (i was getting bored of the last song anyways)
-The energy bar now changes colour depending on the sword that you choose. Later on, the each sword will also have a special ability tied with it

Please give me feedback and your thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

There's too many bugs
Please fix them
I want to know
where my family is
Sincerely,
The Tanemo Mercenary

T

Tayoyo

The newest update is out. I'm excited to see what people think! :banana:

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

Combat felt really satisfying. Not really huge fan of gore thought, im hoping there will be option to reduce amount of blood.
I was little disappointed how short demo ended up being, kinda wanted to keep playing :D

I absolutely loved Hyper Light Drifter, so im looking forward this one. :)

T

Tayoyo

Hey, i tried your demo.

Combat felt really satisfying. Not really huge fan of gore thought, im hoping there will be option to reduce amount of blood.
I was little disappointed how short demo ended up being, kinda wanted to keep playing :D

I absolutely loved Hyper Light Drifter, so im looking forward this one. :)
Thank you :) There will be options to disable the blood and gore and to lower the amount of blood eventually.
Sorry for the short demo! As time goes on the demo will get longer and longer until the demo is 100% ready :) Should be ready by September