• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE UWP wont compile, cant find Win10 SDK

M

Misty

For some reason when I try to compile UWP it says it can't find the Windows 10 SDK.

I put it to the default folder and it appears to be the correct folder (I have tried other folders just in case.)

I have Windows 8 and afraid to install 10 because I dont want to lose my data. I did not expect to go far with this but I at least expected it to find the Windows 10 SDK file. I don't know why it can't find the Windows 10 SDK file. Can someone please help me? I have already installed the Windows 10 SDK and Microsoft said it should work with Windows 8.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I think that Windows 8 should be able to build UWP... Windows 7 requires But I've asked the guys in the office to check that and I'll let you know for sure. Could you post your Prefs for UWP? Also, what version of VS are you using? And can you build for Windows, rather than the XBoxOne okay?

M

Misty

my prefs are this

the version of VS i have is 2015 update 3, this is visual studio version 14.0.

I can do a normal build for windows, but not through UWP. I dont think I can add my windows 8 device because it needs a username and pass for the dev mode.

Now, I didn't fully expect the whole thing to work using windows 8, just hoping it would work theoretically.
But this error seems strange.
"
Configuration Problem : Windows 10 SDK not found at path given in Windows UWP Preferences.
"

I expected to run into problems but not this kind of problem. Because the path is correct and the dll is located at where the path says.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Location of the SDK? I went to Program Files and the dll was there. But what do you mean by registry?
The guide for setting up UWP specifically states that you must be running Windows 10 for it to work: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001100548-Setting-Up-UWP-For-Windows-10-Desktop
It even has an exclamation at the end to emphasise the point.

It's written by Nocturne who has said above that Windows 8 should work, but that doesn't really make sense to me as UWP is meant to run "universally" across multiple devices which all run Windows 10 (desktop, phone, Xbox one) - not Windows 8.

I'm not sure why losing data would be a reason for you not upgrading, just back up what you want to save to another drive.

M

Misty

I didn't expect it to fully work, but I don't understand why windows 10 is needed for the IDE to find a file that is located in a folder. And the Microsoft website says Windows 10 SDK allows UWP games to be made on windows 8.

Far as backing up, usb harddrives are not cheap, it is 50 bux for 1 TB, I might as well buy a new computer and get 400 gigs for that much money.

rIKmAN

I didn't expect it to fully work, but I don't understand why windows 10 is needed for the IDE to find a file that is located in a folder. And the Microsoft website says Windows 10 SDK allows UWP games to be made on windows 8.

Far as backing up, usb harddrives are not cheap, it is 50 bux for 1 TB, I might as well buy a new computer and get 400 gigs for that much money.
What spec is this computer with a 400GB hard drive you can get for $50?

I'm sure you don't have a full 1TB of files that need backing up, so just backup all the most important stuff just in case and then perform an "upgrade" during installation of Windows 10.
Your Windows 8 install will be renamed to Windows.old so if anything goes wrong you can roll back, and although it's half expected that some of your installed programs might need to be re-installed once you have Windows 10 on there - none of your data files will be affected.

Not sure about using Windows 8 to build Windows 10 UWP games, I'm just going off the guide I linked which specifically states that you need to be running Windows 10 for it to work.
Probably best to wait for Nocturne to reply as the info he gives in that guide and what he has said in this thread is the opposite of each other, so who knows.

Even if it did work, how are you going to run / test them?
Seems like a bit of a pointless exercise.

M

Misty

What spec is this computer with a 400GB hard drive you can get for $50?

I'm sure you don't have a full 1TB of files that need backing up, so just backup all the most important stuff just in case and then perform an "upgrade" during installation of Windows 10.
Your Windows 8 install will be renamed to Windows.old so if anything goes wrong you can roll back, and although it's half expected that some of your installed programs might need to be re-installed once you have Windows 10 on there - none of your data files will be affected.

Not sure about using Windows 8 to build Windows 10 UWP games, I'm just going off the guide I linked which specifically states that you need to be running Windows 10 for it to work.
Probably best to wait for Nocturne to reply as the info he gives in that guide and what he has said in this thread is the opposite of each other, so who knows.

Even if it did work, how are you going to run / test them?
Seems like a bit of a pointless exercise.
Its a used comp. Don't know where I can get used usb harddrives but I will see.

My data files should not be affected...theoretically, but things may go wrong some how.

I am going to test the game on xbox one.

rIKmAN

Its a used comp. Don't know where I can get used usb harddrives but I will see.

My data files should not be affected...theoretically, but things may go wrong some how.

I am going to test the game on xbox one.
Assuming you are using a laptop, it sounds like it might be easier to buy a smallish 2.5" hard drive and do a fresh Windows 10 install (it's always better than an upgrade) and then buy a $5 caddy to plug in your existing Windows 8 drive and use it like a normal external USB drive.

If you are using a desktop it's even easier and cheaper - just buy a normal drive and connect it.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
So, after talking with the devs, I would say that you have little to no chance to build UWP on windows 8. All the info provided by MS seems to point to the fact that it's possible, but nowhere does it actually say HOPW it is possible.... and it would appear that it's not something that is easy to set up and will probably require quite a few hacks to get working. I would say bite the bullet and upgrade to windows 10....

M

Misty

So, after talking with the devs, I would say that you have little to no chance to build UWP on windows 8. All the info provided by MS seems to point to the fact that it's possible, but nowhere does it actually say HOPW it is possible.... and it would appear that it's not something that is easy to set up and will probably require quite a few hacks to get working. I would say bite the bullet and upgrade to windows 10....
K, Windows 10 it is...

Assuming you are using a laptop, it sounds like it might be easier to buy a smallish 2.5" hard drive and do a fresh Windows 10 install (it's always better than an upgrade) and then buy a $5 caddy to plug in your existing Windows 8 drive and use it like a normal external USB drive.

If you are using a desktop it's even easier and cheaper - just buy a normal drive and connect it.
So...2.5" hard drive...Usb hard drive, or must I physically dissamble my laptop?
And do I install Windows 10 on the usb hard drive, or put it on the new hard drive I put in my laptop?

Also I dont know what a $5 caddy is, I went on wikipedia and it seems like you are talking about something different.

rIKmAN

K, Windows 10 it is...

So...2.5" hard drive...Usb hard drive, or must I physically dissamble my laptop?
And do I install Windows 10 on the usb hard drive, or put it on the new hard drive I put in my laptop?

Also I dont know what a $5 caddy is, I went on wikipedia and it seems like you are talking about something different.
It sounds like you don't know too much about hardware / upgrades, so I think the easiest option for you would be to just buy an external USB drive.
Then it's simply just plug it in, copy your stuff over and do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the laptop.

Caddy is the same as an enclosure like this one.
it's just the case and circuit board etc to put a bare hard drive in, essentially making your own external USB drive.

Just work out the size of the stuff you have to backup and buy a drive of the relevant size, or go for a larger one and grow into it.

I have the 4TB version of this drive and have had no issues at all in over 2yrs using it first for PC and currently for my XB1, but it depends how much you want to spend and how much space you want to have going forward.

If you don't need a big drive you can get a 320Gb external drive from NewEgg for $11.49 for example.