• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

UTF control characters

I want to insert chr(9) which is a UTF control character for a horizontal tab. Now the problem is the font range in the IDE does not allow me to set anything below 32. Thus if I paste anything in I get tofu.

I'm trying to create a world without any tofu or any interpreting tofu which would result in fudge.

Any insight as always will be welcome.

chamaeleon

Pretty sure GMS does not honor that character as far as display purposes is concerned. It will store it in the string, and you can save it in a file or send it in a network packet, but the various draw calls won't do anything useful for you.

From the String section in the manual
NOTE: Strings support form feed, vertical tab etc... but this does not mean to say that rendering does, and when drawing strings these characters may be ignored.

Ye, I have had all sorts of issues making this fully functional textbox. I was afraid you would say that. It looks like what I am trying to do is impossible to do with GM without an extension. I'm going to have to limit the scope of what It can do.

Thanks.