• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

UWP Using xboxlive functions without Xbox

Spasman

Sorry if dumb question but I couldn't find a clear answer in the docs or help articles, are the xboxlive_* functions only intended to be used on Xbox and/or with the Xbox export licensing? Or can they be used for a Windows Store only game?
I understand UWP and Xbox are the same, but that's why I'm asking, I can't really afford an Xbox export license as much as the app fee for the Windows store, and the UWP export. Worst case scenario seems like there's a paywall on GM for using the Xbox functions along with UWP, despite whether you plan on releasing on Xbox or not

My PC game is multiplayer, so it would need a way to pull some sort of persistent user account ID from the platform I'm uploading it to, such as using xboxlive_get_user(), however I don't see or understand any uwp_* functions that can do the thing I'm looking for. I know WIn10 has its own lil Xbox Live platform app but that makes me think I'd need an Xbox export license to be able to have my project use the service/functions

There's also uwp_license_trial_user() that returns a user ID, but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing here yet. Docs say this function will return a null pointer if the game isn't running in trial mode, so I'm wary of it being usable for my project.

If you haven't heard the news, MS greatly reduced their payment cut for developers in order to compete with Steam, so I'm imagining others might come by with similar questions
Thanks for the help!

O.Stogden

Xboxlive functions work with UWP, but I'm not sure if the xboxlive functions work with the PC version of Xbox Live.

Some Xbox Live functions are also not available to every UWP application. Things like matchmaking and multiplayer, you will need to go through the ID@Xbox program and get approval from MS, which means you need to send them your game and they will assess if they want it on their platform etc.

Spasman

Yeah I understand there's an approval process with MS, just wanted to make sure what I want is possible before putting in the time to set up UWP, Xbox Live on Win10, getting approved for multiplayer, etc.

I think if anyone knows the answer to the thing you're unsure of or can suggest what functions I should be looking at instead of the xbox ones, then that'd help me out

O.Stogden

I can check if the xboxlive functions work with UWP on PC tomorrow if this is still unanswered. Not many people here use UWP. Anyone developing for Xbox tends to use the console export and for PC they just use Windows.

Spasman

Wow, thanks man, yeah lemme know if you can. Hopefully this new pay cut will get people to use UWP more

O.Stogden

Wow, thanks man, yeah lemme know if you can. Hopefully this new pay cut will get people to use UWP more
Hey, I spent the morning configuring TRF for Xbox LIVE and then used the code found at: https://manual.yoyogames.com/#t=GameMaker_Language/GML_Reference/UWP_And_XBox_Live/Users_And_Accounts/xboxlive_gamertag_for_user.htm

When not signed into Xbox LIVE, it brings up an account box to sign in, and it successfully stores your gamertag in the global.GamerTag variable, as you can see in the screenshot:
Screenshot 2021-04-30 085230.png
(Blotted out, at the left)

I had to follow the help articles on setting up UWP for Windows, and then I followed: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002091531-Adding-Xbox-Live-Support-To-Your-UWP-Projects#:~:text= Adding Xbox Live Support To Your UWP,of functionality around using the Xbox... More

Which let me set up the Xbox LIVE Sandbox you'll need to do Xbox LIVE testing in a dev environment.

I'm unsure of how far the support goes, but I can at least confirm you can sign in, and fetch someone's gamertag with just the Creators Program access, no need for ID@Xbox for this at least. I would presume other Creator's Program features such as leaderboards via the xboxlive_stats_get_social_leaderboard function would also work.