• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Using Mac and PC versions on the same project source

clee2005

Hey guys! I just got a new Macbook (M1 pro) and it's ridiculously fast. So much so that I want to use it as my main workstation. I've been using Windows for GMS2 up until now. My question is : does anyone have experience using the MacOS and Windows versions of GMS2 at the same time on the same project files? I use Dropbox (I also use GIT and 40 other methods of backing up) and switch between workstations effortlessly. I'd be saving and updating the project files regularly from either platform. I'll end up trying it of course, but thought I'd check with you people first. :)

Thanks,
Chris

chamaeleon

Don't use the same actual files shared through a cloud drive. That will have two possible issues. Cloud drive synchronization might lead to project corruption (not unheard of), and using the same file content might confuse one side or the other due to different newline conventions. I strongly suggest migrating between the two platforms using git.

BenRK

I don't recommend using a cloud service like Dropbox to sync project files between devices. I have learned this the hard way and lost projects before.

I own a PC and a Macbook Air (M1), and I've had no issues working on the same projects between them. Just use git to not risk losing and corrupting files.

clee2005

Thanks @chamaeleon and @BenRK ... I have been using Dropbox for many years with Gamemaker and it's fantastic! I wouldn't NOT use it. Never had an issue, and it's so convenient I'm willing to deal with any issues that might come up. That's why I wrote that I also use GIT and other backup methods. Glad to hear that you haven't had any issues BenRK! Thanks!

I'm currently using Mac as my main dev machine, and swapping to Windows to do Win builds. Github is perfect for it. Every other way I've tried has caused issues.

clee2005

@Appletreeman Thank you. It makes sense that syncing with Dropbox might be asking for trouble with two different platforms going at it... which is what I was most concerned about. I guess Git handles the different file conventions (end of line characters) for you. Hmmmm... will go slowly into this one thanks to you guys.

Ricardo

I've been using Dropbox for years as well and zero issues. The thing saves 30 days of changes for any file and can rollback the whole project folder if needed. I really don't understand why so many people are against it or say they have lost projects...
Anyways... to answer your question @clee2005, I've been working on a project (which is stored on a Dropbox folder) using both Windows and Mac machines, and it works well. The catch is to not open the project simultaneously on several machines at the same time to avoid sync conflicts.

clee2005

I've been using Dropbox for years as well and zero issues. The thing saves 30 days of changes for any file and can rollback the whole project folder if needed. I really don't understand why so many people are against it or say they have lost projects...
Anyways... to answer your question @clee2005, I've been working on a project (which is stored on a Dropbox folder) using both Windows and Mac machines, and it works well. The catch is to not open the project simultaneously on several machines at the same time to avoid sync conflicts.
Thank you @Ricardo ! This was what I was hoping to hear. It sounds like you have the exact configuration so that's very helpful - particularly the advice to close off the projects on the other machines to avoid conflicts. I often leave them open on the different machines and just start working, and GMS2 recognizes the changes nicely. I'll give it a shot then and report back in case it helps anyone else considering the same.

Ricardo

Thank you @Ricardo ! This was what I was hoping to hear. It sounds like you have the exact configuration so that's very helpful - particularly the advice to close off the projects on the other machines to avoid conflicts. I often leave them open on the different machines and just start working, and GMS2 recognizes the changes nicely. I'll give it a shot then and report back in case it helps anyone else considering the same.
Since GMS2 has a file watcher enabled by default I imagine it should be okay to have the project opened on several machines at the same time, but that's something I wouldn't risk myself.
All that said, it's important to highlight that this setup only makes sense if you are a single programmer. Having multiple programmers editing the same project on a shared folder is definitely a recipe for disaster.

clee2005

All that said, it's important to highlight that this setup only makes sense if you are a single programmer. Having multiple programmers editing the same project on a shared folder is definitely a recipe for disaster.
LOL! Absolutely, it didn't occur to me to mention that, but that's a smart disclaimer!