• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Using Game Maker 8.1 Assets

S

Sparkychao

So, I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to art and uninformed at all when it comes to music, but I wanted to focus on the former for this post.

I really REALLY liked the assets from game maker version 8.1 (I think) it had a cave explorer, a couple of static npcs, treasure chests, rocks, and quite a bit more. I had adapted a lot of the sprites (or reused them in some cases) for a game demo I was building in an attempt to sort of visually represent the ideas I had and testing how they work as far as scripts go.

I'm very VERY new to all this though, and since my own art is terrible, I was wondering about the...legality and morality of using those assets for my first actual game. I got MOST of it working before I lost all of my work, so relearning the programming language shouldn't be that hard. Is that a thing I could do though, or am I on my own on this one?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The GM8.1 EULA or manual should tell you what license the assets are under; if you can't find it, it's generally best not to risk it - there's plenty of other places you can get art from that you know you can use, such as https://opengameart.org/ - just make sure you check the license of everything you download so you get stuff you're comfortable using (e.g. if you want to sell your games, steer away from non-commercial licenses).