• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Using different software in addition to GMS2

Hello friends! I hope everyone's Friday has gone well! I'm working on a project that is largely going to be in traditional 2D, however, have a section that is going to be 3D during a certain section. Based off what I'm really wanting to do, I've seen that 3D can have a bit of a fit or be very difficult in GMS. Is it possible to have 90 % of the work done inside GMS, but then utilize a system like Unity for the 3D aspect?

I'm sure this is a silly question, but I'm still finding my footing o_O

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
There are NO silly questions... no question is too stupid to be asked, only people that don't realize that someone may have a genuine need to ask a particular question. ;)

You'd have to essentially make two separate games... one in GameMaker, one in another engine, and then either switch back and forth between them or embed one into the other - and at that point, we're back at the "might as well do it all in one" territory, as that would be magnitudes easier than that. That doesn't even take care of handling communication and exchanging data between the two, but just getting them to run. To say the least, there's no embed_unity_game("unity_game.exe");. Heck, there's not even an embed_exe or even execute_exe.

Might as well call it impossible with all the hassle that would be involved. I suggest to get your fundamentals done first, strive to learn so that you'll be able to comfortably create the parts of the game you can create in GameMaker, then see if you still need to do the other parts or if there isn't a better solution.

Thank you Tsuka! It can certainly feel like I'm burdening some of you guys with questions that I at least think would be more remedial. And definitely! Certainly seems like unnecessary trouble and mind numbing hassle. I'll stick to one and work with any constraints necessary.

Director_X

There are no silly questions indeed!

A loooooooong.... long time ago, around the time of tiny Game Maker 4.x - when we were pushing the boundries of the little red engine that could -there were some ingenious forum members who did exactly that:
game-maker-4-icon1.png
Game Maker + Irrlicht Engine

You can search it up for more info - it used to be on the Ye Olde Mark Overmars GM forums - but most of it is probably lost to the sands of time now. :(

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
There are no silly questions indeed!

A loooooooong.... long time ago, around the time of tiny Game Maker 4.x - when we were pushing the boundries of the little red engine that could -there were some ingenious forum members who did exactly that:
View attachment 37188
Game Maker + Irrlicht Engine

You can search it up for more info - it used to be on the Ye Olde Mark Overmars GM forums - but most of it is probably lost to the sands of time now. :(
I remember that stuff!!!!! I actually had messed with the Irrlicht Engine(after having dabbled in just using C++ with Vanilla OpenGL for stuff), and I thought I might mess and do exactly that, but I never got around to it. I still have a 3d based system as part of my long TODO list even for modern GMS, as there is so much missing that could make it more viable for 3d.