usernames

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piksil_demon

so ive noticed that we are unable to change out usernames without admin assistance. I was wondering if its possible that the forums will switch to a uuid (universally unique identifier) system one day.

for those who dont know, uuid works kinda like a seed. the seed identify to a specific user, and is publicly available.
a good example is minecraft- you can make a world with the seed 1234, and name it "minecraftia", or make another world with the seed 1234 and name it "creative testing world" but because the seed is the same, it still spawns the same world.

im sure all of you at some point have thought "i would really like to change my name" but then find out theres no way to unless you contact an admin. that works, but not as good as a uuid system, especially if theres a large number of users to admins.

just a suggestion, what do you guys think

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roytheshort

Firstly, I think there already is an identifier system. A number is assigned to each user. Mine is 314. Yours is 3977.
Second, I assume the admins do that to stop trolling or repeated name changes.

P

piksil_demon

Firstly, I think there already is an identifier system. A number is assigned to each user. Mine is 314. Yours is 3977.
Second, I assume the admins do that to stop trolling or repeated name changes.
i didnt notice that part. i made the suggestion to stop people from making a new account just to change their name

N

NPT

The ability for a user to change there own name needs to be supportd by the forum software.

I don't know if it is and just disabled. A lot of forums disable it deliberately because it has the potential to be abused, or used so often that users have no ideas who anybody really is,

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The ability for a user to change there own name needs to be supportd by the forum software.

I don't know if it is and just disabled. A lot of forums disable it deliberately because it has the potential to be abused, or used so often that users have no ideas who anybody really is,
For Xenforo in particular, changing a username as an admin is a canonical feature, but not changing a username as an ordinary user. But as is always, there's a way around it with plugins.

P

piksil_demon

well it could have one master username, like maybe the first one you used that is displayed under your current one

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Just choose a good name to start with.
Regardless of the amount of users, I'm guessing any amount of name change requests per a month could be handled within a few minutes no more than an hour.

P

piksil_demon

Just choose a good name to start with.
Regardless of the amount of users, I'm guessing any amount of name change requests per a month could be handled within a few minutes no more than an hour.
its not that you didnt choose a good name, its that you just dont like the name you have anymore. for me it took 3 days before my name was changed after i sent in the request.

N

NPT

twitter did it, seems pretty easy :/
This just screams naivety.

Just because a huge corporation with billions of dollars of resources can accomplish something doesn't mean YoYo Games can.

If I posted about how I want to build a console,
Then you explained to me all the challenges I would face.

Me simply replying, Microsoft did it, seems pretty easy:/, is on par with your response.

But if you're so convinced that such a feature is so desirable and easy to implement, then you should join the xenforo forums and suggest it to them. If they give you any hassle just let them no Twitter did it.

P

piksil_demon

This just screams naivety.

Just because a huge corporation with billions of dollars of resources can accomplish something doesn't mean YoYo Games can.

If I posted about how I want to build a console,
Then you explained to me all the challenges I would face.

Me simply replying, Microsoft did it, seems pretty easy:/, is on par with your response.

But if you're so convinced that such a feature is so desirable and easy to implement, then you should join the xenforo forums and suggest it to them. If they give you any hassle just let them no Twitter did it.
like @roytheshort said, we already have a mechanic like UUID. is it a stretch to think with we could change that number to a word and place it under the users username?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
its not that you didnt choose a good name, its that you just dont like the name you have anymore. for me it took 3 days before my name was changed after i sent in the request.
Oh really????? o_O
upload_2016-8-28_20-35-33.png
Not sure what your motive for lying about that would be, but I can assure you that name change requests get dealt with the moment I see them. Also note that the vast majority of users never ask to have their name changed and those that do seldom request more than once... Having the same name for the life of the forum sets a certain level of accountability for your actions and deeds, and it also makes it a lot easier to build the community as people get used to seeing the same old familiar names. So, this isn't going to change and the policy of maximum one name change in at least a year is still going to be maintained.

P

piksil_demon

Oh really????? o_O
Not sure what your motive for lying about that would be, but I can assure you that name change requests get dealt with the moment I see them. Also note that the vast majority of users never ask to have their name changed and those that do seldom request more than once... Having the same name for the life of the forum sets a certain level of accountability for your actions and deeds, and it also makes it a lot easier to build the community as people get used to seeing the same old familiar names. So, this isn't going to change and the policy of maximum one name change in at least a year is still going to be maintained.
my mistake, i was confusing this for my reddit account. on this site was actually done fairly quick :p, but even still it should still be an option to change your user name

N

NPT

like @roytheshort said, we already have a mechanic like UUID. is it a stretch to think with we could change that number to a word and place it under the users username?
What part of:
Did you not understand?

P

piksil_demon

So what you want is THREE usernames?
no, 2-
1 master username that everyone can identify you as, and 1 that is changeable. this lets the user have their own custom name, while preventing confusion that it would otherwise provide. "member" is not a username, just your rank in the forum. i honestly dont see where you got the idea of a 3rd username

R

roytheshort

no, 2-
1 master username that everyone can identify you as, and 1 that is changeable. this lets the user have their own custom name, while preventing confusion that it would otherwise provide. "member" is not a username, just your rank in the forum. i honestly dont see where you got the idea of a 3rd username
You can change the "Member" part, mine says "The Village Idiot". There are three names.

N

NPT

no, 2-
And you don't think that people like you won't want to change their master usernames?

Mr Magnus

Viking King
no, 2-
Nope. It's essentially a second username. Maybe you've noticed how, of those that do not say "member", nobody has the same "rank"? There is, as far as I know, only one person that has the member title "Viking King", and only one that has "The village idiot", because we both requested these member titles. It even works as a second username, people that don't know me or are new to the forum often refer to me as "The viking king" when replying to me because they notice the member title and assume that to be my username instead of Mr.Magnus.

Also, when talking to Roy ask yourself "Is this potentially a joke?". He isn't suggesting three usernames, he's purposely misunderstanding your posts.

J

Jaqueta

But seriously tho, there's some good reasons (imo) for not letting people changing their nicknames:
- Change your nickname, your profile picture, and then everybody will be like: "Who the hell is this guy??", even if he had like... 200 posts. :v
- Not only that, but this could be used to impersonate people, if that existed, it would be necessary to add an "Verified account Icon", and honestly, the admins could spend their time with more important things.
- If people had a second/master nickname, everybody would ignore their main nickname, and only see the "real" nicknames.

R

roytheshort

Screw this, I'm changing my name to "LookAtTheNameBelowThisNameThereAreTwoUsernamesStopAskingForMoreUsernames" so this never happens again.

P

piksil_demon

- If people had a second/master nickname, everybody would ignore their main nickname, and only see the "real" nicknames.
exactly, people would refer to the non-changing user name, allowing the users to have more creative freedom over their profile, while avoiding the confusion that it would cause without the unchanging username
You can change the "Member" part, mine says "The Village Idiot". There are three names.
yes, but not everyone has, it isnt unique for each user, which is what im trying to push.

trg601

I think he/she is saying that he wants a way to change his/her member title without messaging Nocturne...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Having the same name for the life of the forum sets a certain level of accountability for your actions and deeds, and it also makes it a lot easier to build the community as people get used to seeing the same old familiar names. So, this isn't going to change and the policy of maximum one name change in at least a year is still going to be maintained.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I'm not a fan of users being able to change their usernames, it can lead to a lot of confusion from other users - not sure who they are talking to, and to some folk being able to abuse it. Leaving it up to an admin means it can be controlled properly.

Don't want to change this right now......

Status
Not open for further replies.