1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GMC Forums User population: GMS1 or GMS2?

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by KamilSeven, May 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. KamilSeven

KamilSeven Member

Hello, dreamers!

I was wondering if there are any statistics about which version got higher user count recently?

Cheers!

Kezarus likes this.
  2. Lukan

Lukan Gay Wizard Freak

I assume GMS2 has more users just because it has updated apis for mobile developers.
    Anyone using GMS1.4 probably has code that doesn't translate or they hate the new ui.

Though I'd be interested in official numbers.

KamilSeven likes this.
  3. Sk8dududu

Sk8dududu Member

My guess would be gms1.4 by far. 1.4 with like 4 modules was only 15 dollars for me. And lots of people who have game maker are not very active in using it, so not worth the upgrade. Certainly people who use gm daily likely are using 2.

KamilSeven likes this.
  4. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

My guess would be that more people presently use GMS2, but way more users would own GMS 1.4. GMS 1 has been out for many years longer and has seen some major discounts with HB etc... So it would be logical that GMS 1 has outsold 2.x by a long margin.

KamilSeven and Samuel Venable like this.
  5. 00.Archer

00.Archer Member

I believe GMS1 is more used, at least outside of mobile development.

KamilSeven likes this.
  6. Lonewolff

Lonewolff Member

Source?

KamilSeven likes this.
  7. 00.Archer

00.Archer Member

Most of my friends have not migrated to GMS2. They are either continuing/making new projects with GMS1.4 or moved to other engines.
    We all develop for desktop though. I'd imagine GMS2 has better and/or functional mobile development and those who make money from it would have migrated. No idea if this actually happened.

KamilSeven likes this.
  8. wkaudio

wkaudio Member

GMS2 for me! I like the workflow a whole lot more. I've used GM since 6 so I still put my resources on the left-hand side, but GMS2 feels a lot smoother to me.

KamilSeven likes this.
  9. outstandly

outstandly Member

GM2 looks better.

KamilSeven likes this.
  10. Liam Jacobs

Liam Jacobs Member

Am personally still using GMS1. It still works perfectly find for Desktop and HTML5, which are my main platforms. Although I do agree that GMS2 looks much cleaner, and appears to be an all-round better product, the ~$250 price tag for the two modules isn't something I'm interested in perusing right now. Mostly because I can pick up languages quite easily, and there are many (free) multi-platform languages.

So to summarize; I use GMS1 daily, mostly for hobby programming. I don't see the need for me to upgrade to GMS2, because I can achieve everything I want to in GMS1. If I were going to upgrade, I'd be spending ~$250 for a better looking version of the exact same thing (in my case. I do understand that GMS2 has a lot of useful additions, but I don't think I'll ever come around to using them, and if I REALLY needed them, I could probably come up with a GMS1 alternative).

GMS2 is fantastic, and I love the direction YYG is taking the product in... but I can't justify ~$250 (as a hobbyist) for something that 'looks better.'

HayManMarc, KamilSeven and Lonewolff like this.
  11. DougM

DougM Member

I got two copies of GMS1.4 off of different Humble Bundle sales, but I never really used it. I recently picked up GMS2, though, and I'm really enjoying it.

KamilSeven and Lonewolff like this.
  12. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

I use GMS1 right now, will migrate to GMS2 when my current project is finished.

KamilSeven likes this.