GM:S 1.4 Use physics or not....

Discussion in 'Programming' started by ADenton, Dec 31, 2016.

1. ADenton

ADenton Member

Ive been developing a side-on stealth platformer for a couple years, on and off (along lines of Ronin, Gunpoint, Mark of the Ninja etc). Think building infiltration, heavy use and exploitation of enemy AI, not using built in room physics at. Can shoot, run jump, break glass, simulate falling enemies etc.

Then get a great idea that the geometery outside the building, on and around the street is complicated enough that might consider ragdolling for more realistic falling....

Spend a couple days getting ragdolls set up using Room in Physics World. This is now creating bugs elsewhere. Spent a few hours getting projectiles working, now they dont interact with enemies as they did. Set enemies to physics objects (having no experience in this at all), they now fall through walls.

Im worried if I move to use built in physics for the purpose of ragdolls im going to break any number of relations ive built between objects I can't even foresee at this point (having no experience with the physics engine).

So my question - what's the lift involved in porting an otherwise not-physics platformer to the built in physics engine? Having built the platformer without it, having to basically weave built in physics through and into every other interaction is going to be how hard? How much of a pain? Dont know if I should bother charging down this path or not as I don't know what's involved down that path.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions very welcome. Objective is simply to have ragdoll physics for dead enemies, folding required physics in seems to be an inordinately large task for someone without experience with physics in GM:S. Is there a simpler way, is it too hard to retro-fit built in physics where it was not otherwise needed, or is it managable...?

Cheers