• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android (URGENT) App wont connect to my server

MasterM

I have a mobile app that i am selling in stores(physical stores), so the users have to side-load my app to be able to use it. My app has to connect to my server to verify the codes but the problem is that it only works on some tablets. It seems that it does not work on tablets that have play protect. I have also read that it could be because my server is not SSL. Does android restrict connection to none ssl servers?

I have gamemaker studio version 1.4.9999, i tried with the Android YYG compiler and also the standard Android compiler but nothing seems to work. I have commercials on the tv and everything so our customer support department is filling up. It is a complete nightmare. Please help us

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
This topic on StackOverflow may provide some insight into what to do next.

The non-SSL outbound request appears to be a likely cause, and for a commercial project I'm kind of surprised that's where you chose to cut corners. Get a device that you know is affected by this and has Play Protect on, download a network request testing app, then see its response when you make a request to your server. Compare that to a request to a known SSL endpoint, and if only SSL works, you need to migrate your server to work off SSL. If you currently use HTTP, it's relatively straight-forward to add HTTPS on top after you get your SSL certificate, and you can set up a server-side HTTP-to-HTTPS redirect so that existing sold copies don't need to be recalled.

You could also try to file an appeal to Play Protect. I'm pretty sure the reviewers would flag down the non-SSL outbound requests, so get that looked at before submitting. Also, even if you are approved, you should give the system time for the approval to bubble down to affected devices.

If you want a quick fix on a short notice, you can ask affected clients to retry with Play Protect's auto scanning disabled, but no guarantees on whether that would really work or how many red flags this may raise among your clientele.

MasterM

We are doing exactly that at the moment, but we wanted to see on the forums if anyone had any similar issues