• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Uploading an HTML5 game?

pfbr22

Hello! I've been trying to upload an extremely simple HTML5 game (click a blue square, get a point, blue square moves to random position) to a Wordpress site as a test - I've not had much luck at all.

I've exported the game as an HTML5 target ZIP file from GMS2, but whenever I would upload that ZIP to my website and attempt to open the link it would just download the file.

I've tried uploaded and running the index file from within that ZIP as well, but that just leads me to a blank white browser tab.

I've tried the method used in this guide (https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216754008-Uploading-Your-HTML5-Game-To-A-Web-Host) but to no avail there either.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with the fact that the index file might not have the sprites in it? I'm very new to website-based games, so perhaps I am completely off the mark, but I would greatly appreciate any guidance on this.

chamaeleon

You need to have the content extracted after uploading the zip file assuming your hosting provider enables you to do this by some means (web based tool, shell/console access to your web directory, etc.), or unzip all files in the zip file on your computer before uploading them, while maintaining the directory structure in the webhosting directory.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If your web host is not a WordPress-only host, upload the contents of the zip file into another directory outside your WordPress installation, then point an iframe embed to there.