Upload project for tutorial help?

tagwolf

Does anyone know best practice or if the forum supports uploading a GMS2 project or zip file to attach to a forum post. I have multiple projects I want to share and write up a tutorial page for but some of them are too complex to use code brackets for every single thing.

Thanks for any assistance or advice.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Does anyone know best practice or if the forum supports uploading a GMS2 project or zip file to attach to a forum post. I have multiple projects I want to share and write up a tutorial page for but some of them are too complex to use code brackets for every single thing.
I don't believe you can upload anything but images to the GMC (others should correct me if I'm wrong).

Many tutorial authors use free file hosting services, and then post the link. There are many good sites available -- just avoid sites that require your viewers to create an account to get the download.

Regardless, posting some critical section of code in the tutorial topic is a good idea. This gives members (and moderators) some idea of the complexity (and quality) of the tutorial without having to download a file.

I don't believe you can upload anything but images to the GMC (others should correct me if I'm wrong).

Many tutorial authors use free file hosting services, and then post the link. There are many good sites available -- just avoid sites that require your viewers to create an account to get the download.

Regardless, posting some critical section of code in the tutorial topic is a good idea. This gives members (and moderators) some idea of the complexity (and quality) of the tutorial without having to download a file.
Yes, and host-a.net seems to be a free, and reliable option.

Good luck and thanks for taking the time to create/share tutorial content with us. Old foggies like me really benefit from that sort of thing. :)

B

babfoxj

I appreciate the tutorials as well. I’ve been away from GM for almost 10 years and almost gave up on several good projects I created back in GM7/8. They have been a great refresher for a former GML scripter who’s now adapting to Studio versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

babfoxj

Did you manage to find an answer to your question?

I wanted to add to this question by asking if any tutorial authors use things like Dropbox or Google Drive for their project tutorials? I’m curious if there are any downsides to doing that.

A

ArsalanKhan4

I believe Goole Drive is best to use to link you with people privately, Dropbox is also a good idea.