• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Upgrading Android Google Mobile Ads (Admob) SDK to Continue Serving Ads After October 17th

A

abarrach

Hello,

I received an e-mail from Google; it says that Android Google Mobile Ads (Admob) SDK 6.4.1 and below will be depreciated and won't be able to receive ads after October 17th. It doesn't exactly say that I am using an SDK below the required; so I am a bit confused.

I have some questions:
  • Which Google Mobile Ads SDK does the current Google Play Services Extension (2.4.0) uses?
  • Do we need to do anything, or is our SDK version already higher than the minimum version? Is it the same for Android and iOS?
  • Also is there a way we can manually check the SDK version on our own?
Some of these questions have been asked and answered at this thread here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/countdown-to-google-madness.4888/#post-43710
However, after Nocturne says that the extension uses v7.6 and we are fine; obsidiannovels says that he got word from the support and that the extensions are not ready for this transition. This is what worries me.

Thank you!

Hi,

Have you tried updated the extension from the marketplace? Maybe they are updated?
It seems I will have to update to current BETA, since stable version does not appear to be ready before the crucial date...

A

abarrach

There was no extension update after you wrote the message I have mentioned. By the way, I have confirmed that the extension indeed uses v7.6 of Google Mobile Ads SDK. The thing that I cannot understand is that v7.6 is supposed to be iOS SDK according to their page here: https://firebase.google.com/docs/admob/release-notes#ios

How do we get it to work in Android is beyond me.