• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Upgrade System Help

L

LuckyGunn

I'm working on adding an upgrade system to my game where after the level timer runs out, it brings the player to an upgrade menu where you can spend points. I'm having trouble with a player movement speed upgrade at the moment.

The idea is that selecting the upgrade option runs a script that increases the global.moveSpeed variable (set at the create event of my start menu) which is used in the player object's step event for movement. The script then sends you to the next room (or in this case loops you back to the test room for testing purposes).

The player moves fine, but the movement speed does not increase at all after upgrading.

This is the line of code I'm trying to use in the script:

Code:
with (obj_player){global.movespeed += 10};
(global.moveSpeed is normally set to 5)

Otherwise, I'm just using basic side-scrolling movement code, which shouldn't be resetting the variable back to its normal value.

Code:
///Player Movement
//Get Input
right = keyboard_check(vk_right);
left = keyboard_check(vk_left);
jump = keyboard_check_pressed(vk_up);
down = keyboard_check(vk_down);
//Horizontal Movement
move = right - left;
hsp = move * global.moveSpeed;
//Gravity 
if( vsp < 20 )
{
    vsp += grav;
}
//Jumping
if(place_meeting(x, y+1, obj_wall))
{
    vsp = jump * -jumpPower;
}
//Horizontal Collision
if(place_meeting(x+hsp, y, obj_wall))
{
    while(!place_meeting(x+sign(hsp), y, obj_wall))
    {
    x += sign(hsp);
    }
    hsp = 0;
}
//Move the Player Horizontally
x += hsp
//Vertical Collision & Bounce
if(place_meeting(x, y+vsp, obj_wall))
{
    while(!place_meeting(x, y+sign(vsp), obj_wall))
    {
    y += sign(vsp);
    }
    if(vsp > 12 )
    {
    vsp = -(vsp/3)
    }
    else 
    {
    vsp = 0;
    }
}
//Move the Player Vertically
y += vsp

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

C

CedSharp

global.variablename is not an instance variable. You don't need to do 'with(obj_payer)'.
Your script would literally be
Code:
global.movespeed += 10;
Next, the posted that your script sets *global.movespeed* but your player uses *global.moveSpeed* (note the capital S)
Make sure both use the same name :)

L

LuckyGunn

global.variablename is not an instance variable. You don't need to do 'with(obj_payer)'.
Your script would literally be
Code:
global.movespeed += 10;
Next, the posted that your script sets *global.movespeed* but your player uses *global.moveSpeed* (note the capital S)
Make sure both use the same name :)
Thanks for clearing that up!