• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Upgrade pricing and Steam

S

somnolentsurfer

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I can't find a definitive answer.

Priced in Sterling, it looks as though Studio 2 upgrades are slightly cheeper bought through Steam than they are directly from YYG. If I buy an upgrade on Steam, will I also be able to access direct download from my YYG account?

I've found other discussions saying you get a Steam key buying from YYG, but nothing about whether it works the other way around.

Thanks!

rIKmAN

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I can't find a definitive answer.

Priced in Sterling, it looks as though Studio 2 upgrades are slightly cheeper bought through Steam than they are directly from YYG. If I buy an upgrade on Steam, will I also be able to access direct download from my YYG account?

I've found other discussions saying you get a Steam key buying from YYG, but nothing about whether it works the other way around.

Thanks!
Yes it works both ways.

The licences are attached to your account, so as long as you link your Steam account on your YYG account page then no matter which version you login to then you will have the purchased exports available.

gnysek

Yeah, it seems that steam prices are "including tax" while YYG are "excluding tax". What's more fun, from what I know Steam takes 30% as their fee from all sales, which means that YYG gets about 50% less selling on steam, so it's even more surprising that prices there are lower...

M

MrFox

From what I know, but I'm maybe not up to date about this, the link between steam and yoyogames account is not active yet for GMS 2, but it have been confirmed that it will be the case in a near futur.

Difference of price is due to the fact that yoyogames and steam are not taxed the same way, but in any case, once taxes payed, yoyogames get the same amount from a sell on steam or on their store.

Edit: @gnysek I was thinking that it was yoyogames that had more taxes than steam?

gnysek

Not sure how taxes work on steam, but on YYG website they are applying tax that is required for UK (Scotland). On Steam it may be, that since it's based in another country, they obey taxes in some way thanks to it (like in US where some states have no VAT tax).

S

somnolentsurfer

I went ahead and bought the upgrade via Steam, so I can confirm that Steam licenses do show up on the YYG account page as 'granted by Steam account'. I can download from that page, though I'm working on MacOS at the moment, so I've not had the opportunity to test it to see if I can activate the software outside of Steam.

In the UK Steam always displays prices fully inclusive of VAT (sales tax). The YYG store page also seems to be listing prices inclusive of VAT, but they're just slightly higher than the upgrade prices on Steam. For some reason YYG are listing the prices in dollars, not sterling, so I guess it's something to do with the exchange rate.

Interestingly, now I've bought the desktop license on Steam, it seems a bit unsure about offering me the discount on the mobile version. Sometimes it shows up, sometimes it shows full price. I don't have £200 to spare right now though either way, so I guess that'll have to wait until I need it.

H

Hieran_Del8

Discount? I've never seen anything other than $400 for mobile.

rIKmAN

@MrFox
The Steam <> YYG link is already working, purchases on Steam will show on your licences page but you might have to logout and log back in for things to update - then you can use either the Steam version or the standalone version and login with your account.

@gnysek YYG prices are including tax, but I'm in the UK so it might not show for you or anyone else outside of the UK?

@Hieran_Del8
If you own GMS1 export modules and they are shown on your YYG account, then you will be eligible for either a 40% discount on those same modules in GMS2. If you own MC then you get a 50% discount.

Just make sure you are logged in to your YYG account that has the GMS1 modules attached to it, or if you want to buy on Steam make sure you link your Steam account on the YYG licences page. You might have to logout/login but once it updates you will then see the discount on Steam, but the discount offer expires on April 9th.

H

Hieran_Del8

@Hieran_Del8
If you own GMS1 export modules and they are shown on your YYG account, then you will be eligible for either a 40% discount on those same modules in GMS2. If you own MC then you get a 50% discount.

Just make sure you are logged in to your YYG account that has the GMS1 modules attached to it, or if you want to buy on Steam make sure you link your Steam account on the YYG licences page. You might have to logout/login but once it updates you will then see the discount on Steam, but the discount offer expires on April 9th.
Ah, right, upgrade modules. Should've paid more attention, I never owned GMS1 export modules. Sorry for the confusion.

H

Hieran_Del8

@Hieran_Del8:
Bottom line, login to your account on YYG that you purchased GMS1 with, and any discounts you are entitled to will show up there.
Gotcha, thanks for the direction!

And Lonewolff, schucks, if my profile pic could blush, it'd be... well, I believe it'd be black in that luminance filter. :p

It's great to see you active here too, I always loved your tutorials which kickstarted my software career! Don't want to get too sappy, but I'm happy to be in the same forum as you again!