GameMaker Upgrade from GMS1.4, upgrade discount time limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am disappointed that there is a time limit on the upgrade discount for GMS1.4 -> GMS2.

Would it be rude of me to assume that the decision to do this was one based merely on marketing and monetary policies?

hippyman

Lol I'm excited to see the response to this.

My opinion on the matter. I don't think it's rude. But I think it's dumb of you to assume that YYG owes you anything. The upgrade was a nice deal and they gave us a hell of a lot of time.

Dude902

I don't think you're being rude or anything, based on how similar the products are so far. In the future, it should be like a totally new piece of software. You're investing in upcoming updates, and the discount is to make that a little easier to stomach.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I am disappointed that there is a time limit on the upgrade discount for GMS1.4 -> GMS2.
I am disappointed that there are people my age dumb enough to believe that merchant-offered discounts should last forever, and even more disappointed that they often end up being the loudest representatives of my generation.

Would it be rude of me to assume that the decision to do this was one based merely on marketing and monetary policies?
Why shouldn't it be based on marketing and monetary policies? YoYo is now the subsidiary of a large corporation and has at least 50 mouths in the department to feed at this point. Marketing and monetary policies will inevitably be major drivers of its decision-making process, if not the sole drivers.

For anyone to assume otherwise isn't so much rude as it is naive, ignorant and financially illiterate.

S

signal

It was a business decision on their part. I wouldn't be surprised to see that discount come back at certain times in the future, perhaps coinciding with holidays or major releases of GMS2.

I could see why someone would be disappointed by their decision. I haven't even checked out GMS2 yet because I don't want to deal with the hassle of porting over current projects. There's probably other users in a similar position. So, I guess I missed out on the discount. Oh well, there's free, well-documented, more powerful languages out there.

I am disappointed that there are people my age dumb enough to believe that merchant-offered discounts should last forever
Stop. You're coming across as dumb, naive, ignorant and financially illiterate.

K

Kuro

I think YYG have been very generous with their upgrade discount. Where I might be inclined to take exception to upgrade discounts is if they last a stupidly short time after initial 1.0 launch and don't give people enough time to get paid. But In the case of YYG; they are giving us almost 3 months (about a week shy of being 3 months worth). Which is tons and tons of time, imho.

I think it's unreasonable to expect that an upgrade discount be offered perpetually. Discounts are ususally aimed at incentivising people to buy something, but perpetually available discounts are a bit counter productive.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Just going to close this as the OP has his answer I think, and I can't see it ending well otherwise... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.