• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Upgrade from GMS 2 Desktop to Web

S

Shin Kitsune

I will go straight to the point...
I had GameMaker Studio 1.4 back with one of the Humble Bundles, and I had gotten the Web module with it.
A while after GMS 2 came out, I managed to get myself a copy of the Desktop edition on Steam, but unlike the GMS1.4 modules, it looks like I would have to purchase the whole program again in order to have the Web exporter as well. Am I right?!

To be honest, I would not want to buy the whole program again just in order to have the ability to export for Web. Is there any kind of promotion or something for Desktop owners? Or should I better wait for a sale?

Thanks.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Moving to Tech Support as this is a licensing question.

GMS 2 Web is not an "upgrade" of GMS 2 Desktop (it is not equivalent to GMS 1.x Professional, which was the "base" software which you could buy add-on exporters for).
What you're buying with 2.x is the ability to export to specific target platforms, and the removal of Trial limitations is a feature that is shared by all paid licenses, not specifically a feature of the Desktop module. You no longer have to first purchase the "base" software (as there is none) and then the exports, so you're not buying the whole program again, just extending the functionality of the one you already have.

I'm afraid there are no promotions like the one you're hoping for and upgrade discount paths from 1.x to 2.x have already ran out.

Whether you should wait for a sale or not depends on whether you want to export to HTML5 right away, or if you don't mind waiting an undefined amount of time for a potentially cheaper offer. To catch the follow-up question: Sales are not announced in advance.