• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Updating object index on object destroyed

Hello there. I have been stuck on this issue for quite a while and I can't seem to find very many tutorials online to fix it. I want to create a effect similar to games like Terraria
where when a block is destroyed, the surrounding blocks will update and change textures to blend together to make a natural effect.

For example:
1: Default
example1.png

2: Block is destroyed, grass is extended to the sides to make it look more smooth.
example2.png

How do I go about doing this on GML without constant object updates? Is there a easy method? If you could point me to some tutorials that would be great as well.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 13992

No object updates if it's all tiles, which it 100% should be for something like this. Objects for this many "terrain blocks" is a good way to completely kill your performance.

There are a couple runtime autotile scripts on the marketplace which should update tiles in the way you need, though I haven't personally used them.