• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Updates remove custom themes

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I did warn everyone that this would happen. This is one of the reasons we've not announced the custom skins, because it's not fully ready yet.

Well, already, the updates uninstall previous versions while the updates should just replace the files that were updated AND remove the uneeded old ones. The update system needs a check so that it does not uninstall the previous version but simply overwrite the files. This would prevent such things. If the update, for now, simply reverts back to dark but kept the other theme folders then it would still be possible to reapply our custom theme. BUT again, GMS2 should keep that theme name saved somewhere so when it boots up, it searches for that theme name. If that theme does not exist, THEN revert to dark theme.

It's not really a theme problem but more of an update problem.

N

NPT

No it's not an update problem, it's a "you are treating a beta product as a fully featured finished product, and then complaining because a feature that hasn't been implimented yet, isn't working" problem.

Why is everybody going against me when I find out bugs. I'm just mentionning problems and suggestions for the final release and people are most concerned about GML, sprite, room and other game stuff and just don't care about the actual IDE. Common people, now's the time to talk about any problem the Beta has to make sure they are not present in the official release! So I repeat, the NEW update process of GMS2 is not adeal and should be rethought or reworked!

N

NPT

1. You found what you thought was a bug and posted about it. - [No problem with that]
  2. Mike responded, that he let everyone know about it and explained it wasn't ready yet. [Still no problem]
  3. You then completely disregard what he said and proceed to advise him on what they should be doing. [This is where the problem is]

You've been told it's not ready yet. There is no need for your to start advising him on how it should be handled. Accept it's not ready yet, and then when it's ready, retest it.

A Beta Program is where you report bugs, not where you try to instill design advice on people who have actually designed and released real-world applications.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juju

Each update is separate. This is to allow you to move between different versions more easily (say, if something breaks). I presume that the custom skins are attached per IDE version so when a new update is installed, the custom skin settings aren't carried through to the updated version. Regardless, YYG have said that custom skin support isn't 100% yet so we'll have to wait and see.

I have been in the programming departement of a software engeneering industry to create user-friendly aps for computer illiterates. I HAVE already made real-world apps so my knowledge is good. Simple user interface may not seem legit for many of you because noone actually knows my whole backstory. For now, we have a company (YYG) that had the same user interface for around a decade that people were used to work with.

After many upgrades and updates, the user interface INDEED needed a rebuild which I congradulate the team for doing so. BUT the team forgot the basics of a good user interface where "X" usually don't save in a Windows environnement and other issues that for many seem minor but on a huge worlwide scale is absolutely NOT an issue. So AGAIN:

How can we expect to create a game under GMS2 if the core function of building it as an exe is not possible unless we pay a 60$ minimum fee to pre-buy the upgrade or version2 or whatever you call it. Now, they release a BETA for people to test and the only answers we give me is that none of what I give is major and important since:

- It's not ready yet
- It's not major
- There's not enough people
- It does not affect the core functionnality
- And so on....

I've heard these reasons for years and being a customer that already paid for the same software more than once, I believe that these critics should be taken more seriously. Not because I post little stuff that I don't use it much but for the info of many out there. It's hard creating games in GMS as the changes are fast and compatibilities is hard to keep up with. I'm struggling to finish my TBPE because lots of what I have created and implanted in GMS has been simplified and implemented in GMS2. So my interior question is. Should I struggle to keep my GMS project up or let it go to pass to version 2 because people paid for my initial creation on the marketplace. Now that YYG decides to recreate the whole thing, I need very good reasons to upgrade at such a high starting price as 60$ US for a software I already paid in the past is pretty much.

So now, we are just telling me, keep calm and let the pros do their work as your ideas are not yet to be used as we are working elswhere at the moment.

I don't care if you people are going or not or if functionalities are or are not implemented or supported yet. These are my opinions as a professionnal "real-world" developper.

I don;t mean to be mad or crazy about the opinions you express here but since V2 came up I tend to beat myself up here as soon as I give my opinion and that did not exist back then in GM.

I did not even speak about the damn news banner at the top that should not appear neither did I speak about the weird interactions with the recent projects list as when you mouse over the names, an ugly grey bar covers the other buttons on the right. I have plenty of other things to note down. The current user interface is as long to load on a quad-core i7 computer with a GTX 660Ti 2 Gb than with V1. AND I am not impressed with the way it makes me work as I struggle to interest myself with GMS2 because of how the user interface is hard to understand as it's a logic OUTSIDE the logics of Microsoft Windows.

So what do I get for 60$ US as I'm Canadian so that more in CAD $?

- A slow software on a pretty good computer on Windows 10
- Out of logic user interface for Windows environement
- Ad banners on loading screen
- Updates that delete my mods and take forevent to be done
- Tiny minuscule "x" buttons that don't even ask to save my code
- Other tiny "x" buttons that save when I did not ask for it
- A gigentic work area that needs lots of scrolling for one single item. Just the background and tiles you juggle from top to bottom and left to right.
- Impossible to reduce windows in window mode instead of full once maximized
- Hard to find and access options for many different areas of the IDE
- Upgrade that removes overused functionalities where you need to relearn basic stuff you've learned with all those years.
- Unclear upgrade info as what a Pro license with HTML5, linux, mac and android modules will look like in a 60$ upgrade. Will I still be able to export in HTML, Android, Mac and Linux?

I'm sorry, 60$ US is way too much money for a BETA where people say that bugs you send are minor or not yet reviewd or not worth it for now. So YEAH, I share my thoughts to a company that I respected back when Mark Overmars was the owner and because I still believe that lots of good can come from YYG with a bit of attention to the IDE.

gnysek

But you don't need to pay another 60$ when beta finishes. And, paying for beta, you agree that some things may not yet work properly. If there is a problem or bug - report it. I think you forgot what word "beta" means.

But you don't need to pay another 60$ when beta finishes. And, paying for beta, you agree that some things may not yet work properly. If there is a problem or bug - report it. I think you forgot what word "beta" means.
The point is that I AM indeed reporting problems but people keep saying that these are not problems.

Triggered

Mike didn't say it was not a problem, he said it wasn't ready yet.
You did not read half of what I said above. I'll leave it as is for now. Problem is reported, that's done. if YYG wants me to do further tests, I'll need a polished UI as for now, it takes me a lot more time working in this infinit scrolling environnement than in the old tabbed interface and GMS2 just does not make me get back at it, too complicated UI even if some core functionalities are faster and better, the UI kills it for me.