• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows [UPDATES] DLL Example - CityGm

J

JamCamAbreu

Follow the development:
https://www.facebook.com/SimCitySNESClone/

Hey GM community. I don't post often on the community, but I've been working with game maker for over 15 years and in the last year I've started a computer science degree through Oregon State University. Probably like you I have about a bazillion other smaller projects, but this ranks as one of my largest yet.

Zone Development:
04-26-2017(2).JPG

Mini Map types (pollution):
04-17-2017(2).JPG

Check out the facebook page for the development, but here are some details about the project:
  • Nostalgic: Based off of the nostalgic Super Nintendo game of my childhood, Sim City.
  • DLL Development with Game Maker: The game is written mostly using a C++ DLL for the engine of the game. I'm sorry GM moderators...but you are just not going to convince me that my life will be better without pointers. I love that level of control and efficiency. I hope many of you will catch that a number of OBJECTS I have in the game running at all times is 3 or fewer. It's all C++ and DLL magic. If you're interested in learning, I suggest getting yourself into a nice CS degree. OSU, my program offers post-bachelor's for students like me going back for a 2nd bachelor's.
  • Live development: Every Tuesday, I code live on twitch. You can see me as I develop the game and learn what style I use in my development. Check out the link to the facebook development page to see more details, or click here to go straight to the stream page.
Game Features so far (complete):
+ Map generation
+ Screen Drawing Algorithm (I do not use 'objects' in the traditional GM sense as they are bulky and waste CPU time).
+ Time and season changing
+ Minimap calculating and drawing using GM's neat "surface" feature.
+ Game speed changing
+ Building placement
+ Money system
+ Population and city types (town, city, metropolis, etc...)
+ Game Menus Pt. 1 - Maps (4-17-2017)
+ Advanced Information Maps: Pollution (4-17-2017)
+ Advanced Information Maps: Land Value (4-19-2017)
+ "Zone" development Pt. 1 (4-26-2017)

Game Features In progress:
* Graphs
* Game Menus Pt. 2 - Graphs
* Power and Power lines
* Roads and building-connectivity
* Game file saving and loading

Thanks for checking it out. Once it's "playable" I'll release a demo. Until then, check out the development on the facebook page!

- James Cameron Abreu, computer science student.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: