OFFICIAL Updated Forum Issues

gnysek

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Some of the buttons have barely visible right and bottom borders, and with their background being the same as the surrounding part they don't stand out.

It's especially visible in the user profile, with "Start conversation" and "Find" buttons blending into one.

1582807029818.png

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Would it be possible to finally get GML syntax highlighting, now that the code-box clearly supports quite a few languages?

I read elsewhere that syntax highlighting is based on Prism, which is apparently a well-known solution, so I guess someone else could prepare a Prism-compatible highlighting if admins are too busy? The question is, do you have some easily-accessible configuration that allows adding a new language along with information how to highlight it.

I think this would help a lot when it comes to posting and understanding code in help topics, tutorials etc. I've just seen at least one help thread where the original poster wanted to post screenshots rather than code itself precisely because it preserves the highlighting, while codebox doesn't.

I guess I could look into learning Prism and writing the GML highlighting settings; I don't know much about the Prism itself, but it seems pretty similar to TextMate grammars I've worked with earlier. The question is whether Xenforo languages are configurable without too much hackiness.

Amon

GIFs in status updates.

They autoplay.
They're distracting.
They waste your limited data without warning.

Probably a feature that they're even working, but one I don't find very welcome.
I'd agree with them not autoplaying but that's about it. I feel having the option to disable autoplaying of GIFs will satisfy those with limited mobile data but removing them because of others' mobile data being limited spoils it for those who don't have those limitations. As for them being distracting, I, IMHO, don't find that a problem as I see it as a nice vibrant animated place when I visit and I don't want to leave. :)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ah, so there's already a GML syntax Prism file already? I guess that could help a bunch.

The main question is whether we can integrate GML syntax in the first place using basic (i.e. not "hacky") Xenforo configuration. If so, we can prepare some basic and mostly comprehensive syntax, possibly extending it if new functions/keywords are added or some missing functions are spotted.

Hopefully small request - can we have the following grey bar on the New Posts page highlighted in green in the dark theme?

1582833075382.png

It's highlighted in what I would call the "correct" way in the vaporwave theme (as pink) so I hope its an easy change.

If not, that's cool, my brain just seems to bug out without the friendly green highlights I'm used to. :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

gnysek

If Xenforo wouldn't be paid, or they would offer a free trial (with code access) for 2-3 days, or even a monthly subscription for 5$, I would help you.

I don't know if its my eyes, my monitor, or I'm just not used to the new text font used on this update. I'm finding it harder to read. Maybe its the font/kerning/space between words, or all three, reading the text feels like driving a car along a bumpy road.

I've attached an image of the same forum post, pre and post update for comparison.

Would anyone mind telling me if they are seeing this too, or its all in my head? Is the new font better and I just need to get used to it?

Attachments

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If Xenforo wouldn't be paid, or they would offer a free trial (with code access) for 2-3 days, or even a monthly subscription for 5$, I would help you.
Thanks! I appreciate that... BUT I think I got it working...

GML:
audio_stop_all();
audio_sound_gain(snd_Music_Menus, 1, 0);
audio_sound_gain(snd_Music_Game, 1, 0);
audio_sound_gain(snd_Music_GameOver, 1, 0);

if global.save_map[? "music"] == true
{
if room == rm_Menus
    {
    audio_play_sound(snd_Music_Menus, 100, true);
    colour = c_red;
    break;
    }
}
There should now be a "GML" option in the text editor (and it should be the default option too). Colours are a bit "meh" but they'll do for now! Should also be active in the light and the cheap vaporwave skins too.

Last edited:

gnysek

I can't see the cursor in code editor sadly. All works ok when just using bbcode, but when clicking button on rich editor, there's no cursor at all (Light Skin). As some magical div seems to cover original textarea, it might be some css issue of Codemirror.

Appsurd

I don't know if its my eyes, my monitor, or I'm just not used to the new text font used on this update. I'm finding it harder to read. Maybe its the font/kerning/space between words, or all three, reading the text feels like driving a car along a bumpy road.

I've attached an image of the same forum post, pre and post update for comparison.

Would anyone mind telling me if they are seeing this too, or its all in my head? Is the new font better and I just need to get used to it?
To be honest, I agree! But I can't really put my finger on it what should be improved...

To be honest, I agree! But I can't really put my finger on it what should be improved...
cool, thanks for the confirmation. I think its the gap between the letters that is just a little wider in places.

@dadio Excuse the tag, I believe you make awesome fonts - do you have an opinion on this one way or the other?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I can't see the cursor in code editor sadly. All works ok when just using bbcode, but when clicking button on rich editor, there's no cursor at all (Light Skin). As some magical div seems to cover original textarea, it might be some css issue of Codemirror.
I couldn't either straight after I'd set it up, but it all seems to be working fine now... can you confirm?

Mercerenies

When I try to post a link to an imgur image (as in, not embedding it as an image, just a link, since my devlog already has the requisite 10 images per post in it), the forum seems to choke and try unsuccessfully to embed the image. For example,
Code:
[url]https://i.imgur.com/E2W3NVw.png[/url]
Ends up rendering as
which on my end looks like an oddly placed white line.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

Works okay for me? Not sure what the issue could be there.... I posted a link from Imgur just today and it worked okay too. If you're using Chrome, open the inspector view and see if you're getting any errors. Also, could it be an ad-blocker or something that's the issue?

Mercerenies

Tested it on a fresh install of Chrome (no extensions) and had the same issue. Intermittently with no obvious pattern to when it happens. Can also reproduce on Firefox in safe mode, on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu (two different computers, at that). So I'm not sure what the common link is. It's also all-or-nothing; whenever it works, both your image and the one I posted above load, and when it fails, they both show the blank line.

Chrome console:
Code:
A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at http://imgur.com/ was set without the `SameSite` attribute. A future release of Chrome will only deliver cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with `SameSite=None` and `Secure`. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5088147346030592 and https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5633521622188032.
extension.js:24 onMessage extension
ial.js:425 Clean the cache of the scraper (new onComplete event)
/index.php?threads/updated-forum-issues.72550/page-3#post-427730:1 A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at http://quantserve.com/ was set without the `SameSite` attribute. A future release of Chrome will only deliver cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with `SameSite=None` and `Secure`. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5088147346030592 and https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5633521622188032.
/index.php?threads/updated-forum-issues.72550/page-3#post-427730:1 A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at http://www.facebook.com/ was set without the `SameSite` attribute. A future release of Chrome will only deliver cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with `SameSite=None` and `Secure`. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5088147346030592 and https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5633521622188032.
/index.php?threads/updated-forum-issues.72550/page-3#post-427730:1 A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at http://spotxchange.com/ was set without the `SameSite` attribute. A future release of Chrome will only deliver cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with `SameSite=None` and `Secure`. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5088147346030592 and https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5633521622188032.

Firefox console:
Code:
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “http://g2f.nl/0428vym” on a secure page
index.php
This page uses the non standard property “zoom”. Consider using calc() in the relevant property values, or using “transform” along with “transform-origin: 0 0”. index.php
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “http://g2f.nl/0428vym” on a secure page
2 index.php
Loading mixed (insecure) display content “http://i.imgur.com/5ytyLfn.png” on a secure page

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, thanks for the info @Mercerenies ... I'm not sure how much I can do though if it's not happening to me, but I'll mention it to our Sys Admin on Monday and see if he has any insight as to what could be going on.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
@Nocturne
Hi, is there any possibility to change the color of the tags to white in the green theme? Look:

The word "GML" is black, It's a bit unreadable, I think it could be white ;)
~ However I really liked the forum changes, thanks!

D

DarthTenebris

Has anyone noticed that the buttons to change pages on a thread only exists on the bottom of the page on Android? I'm not sure if it existed on the top as well before the update, but regardless, I think that's something that should be there. The button already exists on the top and bottom of the page on PC, I don't see why it can't exist on mobile too.

Coded Games

Is it possible to make it so that when we click the partially grayed out part of status posts that it opens the full post? Instead of having to click the "..." button.

en the entire status post.

For example clicking this YouTube box does nothing when it feels like it should op

^ Also why does the text do this?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Will look into it...

Has anyone noticed that the buttons to change pages on a thread only exists on the bottom of the page on Android? I'm not sure if it existed on the top as well before the update, but regardless, I think that's something that should be there. The button already exists on the top and bottom of the page on PC, I don't see why it can't exist on mobile too.
Not sure why that is or if there's anything I can do about it, since this will be the forum software. But I'll see if there's and option in the Admin CP for it.

Is it possible to make it so that when we click the partially grayed out part of status posts that it opens the full post? Instead of having to click the "..." button.
'Fraid not. That's just the way it is...

gnysek

I couldn't either straight after I'd set it up, but it all seems to be working fine now... can you confirm?
Still not working, I made a hard refresh, checked in both normal and incognito mode, on both latest Firefox and Chrome (light skin only). Works on dark skin and cheap vaporwave.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Still not working, I made a hard refresh, checked in both normal and incognito mode, on both latest Firefox and Chrome (light skin only). Works on dark skin and cheap vaporwave.
Okay... That's weird. Will investigate further!

gnysek

I've just checked, and when I changed ".codeEditor.CodeMirror.CodeMirror-focused" class background to green, I can see the caret, so it seems, that the caret color is same as background (when editor is active).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I've just checked, and when I changed ".codeEditor.CodeMirror.CodeMirror-focused" class background to green, I can see the caret, so it seems, that the caret color is same as background (when editor is active).
Lol! I actually didn't think about that!!!! Oh dear... should be an easy fix. I'll see about sorting it out later today when I've finished work. Thanks for letting me know!

gnysek

@Nocturne , .cm-s-default.CodeMirror .CodeMirror-cursor seems to have #ddd color, while .codeEditor.CodeMirror.CodeMirror-focused have #dcdcdc - so they are too similar. Fixing the first one (to darker?) should solve issue.

Would it be possible for locked topics to appear differently from open topics?
The only difference seems to be that the locked topics have the padlock icon on the far right of the line, but it isn't very prominent, and when skimming through the topic titles they all look the same. On the old forum version I think the topic titles were faded/darker - would this be something that could be added in again? Or perhaps make the title italics or even make the padlock a bit more "in your face" (maybe right where the title text ends), just so it stands out a bit from all the open topics?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Would it be possible for locked topics to appear differently from open topics?
I've looked into it and it's not something that's simple to do it seems... I'll raise a ticket with Xenforo support and see what I need to edit to make this happen, as I know that I could do it on the old forums, but this new update has changed all the template code and I honestly don't quite know where to even look! However, as a slight fix to the issue, I have managed to move the locked (and sticky) icons to the left of the topic name, so it's a lot more obvious when a thread is locked. Note that I haven't changed this on mobile, as it pushed the thread titles to far to the right and I think having this icon the right anyway looks fine and is easy to see due to the reduced screen width.

Another readability thing. Again don't know if this is just me, so make your own final judgement on this one.

At the top of each post, there is a horizontal black bar just before the text of the post begins, and at the bottom, a horizontal grey bar. I find that the black bar kinda blends in with stuff like the quoted comments and the separator gap between posts, making it sightly harder to quickly focus on the meat of each post.

I post here a before and after image. I feel it looks better having both the bars as a grey colour.

Attachments

Bruchpilot

After using it for a couple of days and with the changes since implemented, I must say I appreciate the new forum. The one thing that stays a bit of a sore spot is performance. It performs really really badly (loading times). I would have suspected it to be, in the first couple of days, to be massive user surges because of the redesign and people not having it cached i the first place. But it stills has hangs and loading times unwarranted by its content. Any idea what may be causing this?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Fixed. :)

At the top of each post, there is a horizontal black bar just before the text of the post begins, and at the bottom, a horizontal grey bar. I find that the black bar kinda blends in with stuff like the quoted comments and the separator gap between posts, making it sightly harder to quickly focus on the meat of each post.
Agreed and fixed too!

After using it for a couple of days and with the changes since implemented, I must say I appreciate the new forum. The one thing that stays a bit of a sore spot is performance. It performs really really badly (loading times). I would have suspected it to be, in the first couple of days, to be massive user surges because of the redesign and people not having it cached i the first place. But it stills has hangs and loading times unwarranted by its content. Any idea what may be causing this?
Not sure about this one but I'll have a word with my Sysy Admin about it. One thing though is that I have been constantly playing around with the forum Admin CP and base templates to fix issues and improve the overall look and feel, and every time I make a template change, then the next refresh of the forum takes forever for me, so I wonder if it's the same for everyone else...

gnysek

Nah, it's slower even at 2:00 AM. And I'm not saying that it's slow, cause it loads resource long, it's so slow that I'm getting white page for 3-4 seconds before anything loads, when opening in new tab, while on old forum it was always <1second (plus loading images, but those sometimes comes form other domains, so that's normal).

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Not sure if its been posted but I clicked on my profile picture to change it and it sent me to a 403 broken xml page

also not sure if this is a bug (only just returned)
not sure if this is the correct syntax highlighting
(i feel it should match GMS2 default colors)

current syntax highlighting looks like it belongs with the vaporware theme

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
1583276032756.png

I'm afraid I'm not seeing that at all... The colours are just fine for me.

When are we getting the fancy coloured totally-not-for-flexing-and-instilling-terror staff badges back too? :p
Lol! Will be on that when I set up the new trophies and stuff... ;)

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
I'm afraid I'm not seeing that at all... The colours are just fine for me.
Ah... looks like the colour is messed up in Firefox only. (Could be the case on other browsers too; I have checked only on Firefox and Chrome.)

Chrome:
1583292002570.png

Firefox:
1583292086145.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Ah... looks like the colour is messed up in Firefox only. (Could be the case on other browsers too; I have checked only on Firefox and Chrome.)
Can confirm that the selection color is weird on Firefox. It's not just Perseus.
Hmmm, okay... I'll see about darkening it a bit more then, as Firefox is a pretty popular browser! As long as it's visible on chrome, even if it is darker, it'll be fine.

NightFrost

Noticed a few oddities in the code insertor thingie. First, I don't see the cursor so I have to guess where I am writing. Second, when I try to choose GML code, write something and click Continue to insert the bbcode block, I am sent to Forum home view. I can navigate back to the post but the code has not been inserted. No such issue when selecting generic code type instead. I'm using up-to-date Firefox.

EDIT - I am unable to reproduce the second problem, so it might not be a critical issue.