OFFICIAL Updated Forum Issues

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hi all! After updating the forum it's inevitable that there will be some minor issues... So if you find any please post them here so I can try and get them fixed. By issues I mean, avatars that are wrong, or colour schemes that are difficult to read, or buttons that don't work, etc...

Please take screenshots where possible and explain in as much detail as possible where the issue you've found is so I can fix it as quick as possible.

PS: I will NOT be fixing anything with the "Cheap VaporWave" skin, as that is provided as a bit of fun and is not really supported... ;)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
When logging in, I get a prompt that I didn't enter the CAPTCHA.

I had no option to do this initially.

-----------

Clicking report on a post and then canceling throws an error rather than canceling.

Screenshot sponsored by @ReverielYurikoSucks because I can't reproduce this myself.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
When you're writing a post, and select some text in the editor, you can't see a selection box around that text.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The buttons on the top-right are almost unreadable:
1582652229046.png

Also is it possible for the forum to adapt to user resolution. I'm viewing it on 1920x1080 and there is a massive amount of empty space on the left and right of the topics and posts.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Start a conversation.
Write a part of a user's name. Add it.

Write the same part again.
This time, add the real user from the auto-complete popup.

A copy of what you wrote so far plus the actual user gets added (expected: only the user gets added).

This happens only when the user has a capital letter in the middle of their name.

Can't reproduce so not sure what's going on there
Try on a non-staff account. Doesn't work (well, doesn't not work) on my staff account either.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The buttons on the top-right are almost unreadable:
Fixed

Also is it possible for the forum to adapt to user resolution. I'm viewing it on 1920x1080 and there is a massive amount of empty space on the left and right of the topics and posts.
I can fix this easily, but actually made the choice to have a maximum width of 1200px... Personally I like having most of what I'm reading centered over less space like this, and if you look at most text sites they are all the same, eg:

and a long etc... of sites

Do, no, currently not going to change this, but if more people request it then I'll consider it.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

TailBit

This have a different regex filter for the passwords .. and it FINALLY accepts underscore .. keep that change :D

I have no clue why the old one didn't consider "_" a special character.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I have no clue why the old one didn't consider "_" a special character.
Yup! We've updated the password options... it still requires a 10 character password, and it still should be strong, but we have incorporated a new algorithm for checking strength that isn't based JUST on complexity but on a number of other things (see: https://xkcd.com/936/).

Bruchpilot

I can fix this easily, but actually made the choice to have a maximum width of 1200px... Personally I like having most of what I'm reading centered over less space like this
I would ask you to reconsider. It feels very cramped now and wastes a lot of space.

TailBit

Hm, the login for GMS still doesn't accept "_", I though they were the same ^^;;

There is something really odd going on when using backspace:
- after clearing a word it jumps close beside the previous word, but you can still press backspace once more and it won't clear any letter of the previous word .. as if the space is still there .. but typing won't make the space appear.
- if you for some reason make a new line with shift+enter, then type a word and clear it, it will jump back a extra line.

D

Deleted member 45063

Not sure you can influence anything about it but for me the performance of the forum seems considerably slower... maybe everyone is just accessing it at the same time because of the new VaporWave theme?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Yup, sometimes it feels like Russell dropped a feckin' strawberry milkshake on the server again. As in, no response at all for like half a minute, not just for me but also others as the same time.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Not sure you can influence anything about it but for me the performance of the forum seems considerably slower... maybe everyone is just accessing it at the same time because of the new VaporWave theme?
This is to be expected for the first day or so apparently. The sys admin has still to optimise stuff and has talked about load balancing and other esoteric sys admin magic. :)

PS: Made the forums wider by default... Not sure I like it as now I feel it's all a bit spread out... but we'll see how it goes.

RollyBug

Most likely. It was a server upgrade after all. If I had to guess I'd say that the system is still in the process of caching what it needs as well.

e - Never mind, Noc is on top of it.

Amon

A few glitches here and there which have already been talked about but so far I like it. It is a little slow but server optimization awaiting I think it will be a nice update.

D

Deleted member 45063

This is to be expected for the first day or so apparently. The sys admin has still to optimise stuff and has talked about load balancing and other esoteric sys admin magic. :)
Most likely. It was a server upgrade after all. If I had to guess I'd say that the system is still in the process of caching what it needs as well.
I was expecting some slowdown, just wanted to note that it is fluctuating quite hard. I expected a lower variance on the performance when most of what I'm doing is going back to the index page (I'm not accessing particularly large threads with a bunch of images and other embedded elements). But glad to know that the sysadmin is looking into optimization.

D

Deleted member 45063

@Nocturne I ran into a problem with the Status Updates:

I tried to post an update with:
Code:
Wait... you can share a page on *WhatsApp* now? :joy:
And it threw a popup stating a server error occurred. Also, it started the cooldown timer until I could post another status update. I tried the same thing again and it threw me another server error popup.

(1) I will put my vote in for adjusting the forums to full width, I also feel its too cramped. Aesthetically the 1200px looks pleasing for written articles, but I much prefer using the whole screen when browsing the forum. Feels like a lot of wasted space on either side when using a 1920x1080 monitor.

Or could this be a user-adjustable option? Fixed vs Variable width page?

Update: Seems while I've been typing this post, the forum is now filling the entire width of my screen.

(2) It seems I used to use the address : forums.yoyogames.com : This is not accessible anymore, I had to, of all things, re-type the forum address without the "s" in forums : forum.yoyogames.com :)

Is this intentional? Just letting you know in case it wasn't, or perhaps the DNS changes haven't propagated yet.

Cpaz

I'm liking most everything here so far, but not big on the round profile pics.
It wasn't cool when twitter did them, and debatably less cool in this case.

Also Cheap Vaporware forever.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
And it threw a popup stating a server error occurred. Also, it started the cooldown timer until I could post another status update. I tried the same thing again and it threw me another server error popup.
Will get the sys admin to look at that as I'm not sure what the issue could be there... It's an untested "new" feature for the forum software so I'll investigate.

(1) I will put my vote in for adjusting the forums to full width, I also feel its too cramped. Aesthetically the 1200px looks pleasing for written articles, but I much prefer using the whole screen when browsing the forum. Feels like a lot of wasted space on either side when using a 1920x1080 monitor.
Yup, I fixed that so it occupies the full 1920 width... :)

(2) It seems I used to use the address : forums.yoyogames.com : This is not accessible anymore, I had to, of all things, re-type the forum address without the "s" in forums : forum.yoyogames.com :)

Is this intentional? Just letting you know in case it wasn't, or perhaps the DNS changes haven't propagated yet.
Not sure about that... again, will check with the sys admin tomorrow.

I'm liking most everything here so far, but not big on the round profile pics.
Me neither!!! But I haven't quite worked out where I can change that yet... give me time!!!!

When using the forum on mobile - Huawei P20 Pro/Android 10/Portrait Orientation/Chrome Browser there is a very tiny logo in the top left corner:

(Landscape orientation logo appears at the top of the page much like the normal desktop site)

SecretLogo.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
When using the forum on mobile - Huawei P20 Pro/Android 10/Portrait Orientation/Chrome Browser there is a very tiny logo in the top left corner:
Will see about fixing that but I suspect it's a Xenforo issue and not something I'll be able to correct through the styling options...

Bart

WiseBart
One small thing that I noticed. I changed my avatar (the old one didn't really fit the round profile pic shape) and it seems to have changed in most places but not everywhere:

screen_avatar_not_changed.png

The same thing happens in Profile posts, Latest activity and Postings:

screen_avatar_not_changed_2.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
One small thing that I noticed. I changed my avatar (the old one didn't really fit the round profile pic shape) and it seems to have changed in most places but not everywhere:
I'm messing with the avatars at the moment so that may be causing the issue... think I've got square ones back though! Might need to clear the cache to see the effect and update the image correctly though.

Will see about fixing that but I suspect it's a Xenforo issue and not something I'll be able to correct through the styling options...
Yeah no worries, its not a problem! (Just thought the corporate overlords might not want their logo doing an Antman on them)

Overall, the new look is great by the way, and there's a few new options like showing a list of all threads that haven't been replied to yet. At least I never noticed that on the old version. Handy!

I have one more thing (for now) I want to mention. I use the forum on mobile a lot, and the new site runs well, but! ...when looking at posts, even on portrait, I can only see 3 posts per page!

This is possibly just me, but I find it harder/slower to parse the posts on a page with all the blank space.

Here's what I see when I go to New Posts for example. (I've highlighted the blank parts in red) Is there any chance you could consider trimming that space a little bit if possible? And possibly making the text of the post title 1 or 2 points smaller(blue rectangle)? If not, that's ok! It seems to be working great otherwise.

I don't have a shot of the old forum to compare, but I felt like I could previously see at least around 10+ posts on a single screen.

Spacing.jpg

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
@Nocturne I ran into a problem with the Status Updates:

I tried to post an update with:
Code:
Wait... you can share a page on *WhatsApp* now? :joy:
I had a run-in with a similar issue. If you try posting any kind of message with an emoji (or any of the colon-enclosed codes) you will get a "server error" popup every time, even if you picked it from the smiley list. Since you had the JOY emoji in the message, I think that's why it fails.

Why is the list even there if the emojis aren't allowed? :p (If this is intentional maybe there should be a custom message for the "trying to post a message with a forbidden emoji" situation so people realize what's wrong)

I personally feel like we're long overdue to get full emoji support, the forum smiley list felt pretty thin in comparison once you're used to Twitch and Discord and all other new social media kids these days mess around with :p I feel like the new colon-P emote looks so stupid I'd rather post raccoons or something do end my sentences to get the point across... UwU

NightFrost

I have one more thing (for now) I want to mention. I use the forum on mobile a lot, and the new site runs well, but! ...when looking at posts, even on portrait, I can only see 3 posts per page!
I was about to say even on desktop the padding & margins were bit too wide, but looks like @Nocturne set them to more rational values now.

The "Sticky Threads" and "Normal Threads" captions might need some styling work, they're easy to miss right now.

@IndianaBones : Is that any better? It looks better now on my monitor, and I'm not sure I can reduce the padding any more...
yeah yeah yeah! That's looking better - especially on desktop!

There are still some issues on mobile though, the title of forum posts and the top area on New Posts seems a little squished!

Edit : These are full size screen shots of what I see on my mobile.

WeChat Photo Editor_20200226040801.jpgWeChat Photo Editor_20200226040743.jpg

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Unrelated issue: is there any chance we could get post counts displayed on the post sidebar again? In this metric-focused world, it feels kinda bare without them (and if you want to smugly judge someone based on their contributions now you need to open their profile to be able to do it which slows things down noticeably)

1582661271815.png

EDIT: (This is an issue in the default skin as well, even though I posted the screenshot from the unsupported Cheap Vaporwave skin)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I had a run-in with a similar issue. If you try posting any kind of message with an emoji (or any of the colon-enclosed codes) you will get a "server error" popup every time, even if you picked it from the smiley list. Since you had the JOY emoji in the message, I think that's why it fails.
Good find. Will look into it...

I personally feel like we're long overdue to get full emoji support, the forum smiley list felt pretty thin in comparison once you're used to Twitch and Discord and all other new social media kids these days mess around with :p I feel like the new colon-P emote looks so stupid I'd rather post raccoons or something do end my sentences to get the point across... UwU
Indeed! On my to-do list!

The "Sticky Threads" and "Normal Threads" captions might need some styling work, they're easy to miss right now.
Will have a look at it and see what I can do.

There are still some issues on mobile though, the title of forum posts and the top area on New Posts seems a little squished!
Okay... I think I know what the issue is there... I just have to work out if I can fix it or not... :(

Cpaz

(Landscape orientation logo appears at the top of the page much like the normal desktop site)

View attachment 28966
Having kinda a similar issue on my oneplus 5
Header looks kinda funky on mobile for high resolution devices.

Screenshot_20200225-150908__01.jpg

RujiK

Where are the trophies and why don't I have them??? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Also like Yal said, I can't post emoji's or I get a server error.

Cpaz

Logo looks correct up top, but disappears when you scroll down.
Not sure if that's intended.
Screenshot_20200225-161142__01.jpg

Screenshot_20200225-161148__01.jpg

Also: HALLELUJAH SQUARE PROFILE PICS!

The reset password process doesn't seem to be working. I received the email, but when I click the "Reset password" button this is what opens in my browser...

reset-password.PNG

Also: It appears that my rank has been reset...?

It should say "GMC Elder" (in the highlighted area below.) I was a moderator for the 2nd GMCG and had a "yellow title" on the Design forum.

gmc-elder.PNG

One last thing: I'd be more than happy to volunteer as an "active duty" moderator.

Don't hesitate to ask if y'all ever need an extra set of hands. :cool:

Every link coming from Google is broken. Is this intentional? Trying to hide the secrets of GameMaker? :D

Also I'm on PC and the images in this thread are HUUUUGGEE. I have to take ten steps back to see what they are.

NightFrost

I guess the forum software isn't using a responsive design library, such as Bootstrap, which would make it easy to scale and tune content to various display sizes.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
It let me log in without asking for my 2FA code... I'm a little worried about that, but otherwise it's pretty sleek lookin'.
Good job Noc, now about those GML updates?

Prefixes (other than the "Offical" prefix) are difficult to spot as they appear in the same style/colour as the rest of the topic title and look like they are actually part of the title:
1582677747776.png
Could the prefixes show in a different colour?