• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

(UPDATED) android platformer (how do these controls feel?)

D

Dengar

I had an idea for a platformer control scheme for android and threw this together lastnite.
controls are simple. just touch the screen to move.
right side moves right, left side moves left, up is jumping, and you defeat enemys by falling on them.

ANDROID DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/rddygior2uvyb05/dengars+platform+game+2.apk

Edit:
ive updated the controls so there smoother. let me kno what you think, theres 2 sorta levels to test things out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fanatrick

I still find it bad for a platformer or action game of any sort. No matter the scheme, the lack of tactile feedback (real buttons) feels pretty bad in a game that requires keystroke precision.

curato

I actually have most of one sitting on a hard drive just to see if it could be done well. IDK if it works well enough to publish but I short circuited some of the issues with the theme. I made the player made of bubbles and he can jump as times as he likes. You move left to right by clicking where you want and above him to jump. It really wasn't a sprawling platformer either it was more enclosed like a pacman map. Mario run doesn't do a bad job of it but is a more of an infinite runner and all you need to do it control the jump.

D

Dengar

I still find it bad for a platformer or action game of any sort. No matter the scheme, the lack of tactile feedback (real buttons)
when you have a touch screen you cant call it bad because it doesn't have a controller with buttons.
I understand that buttons have been the standard input for gaming, but im attempting to make use of whats available -the touch screen- instead of trying to simulate virtual buttons or try to make it play like it had buttons or a controller.

have you played the demo yet?

Fanatrick

when you have a touch screen you cant call it bad because it doesn't have a controller with buttons.
I understand that buttons have been the standard input for gaming, but im attempting to make use of whats available -the touch screen- instead of trying to simulate virtual buttons or try to make it play like it had buttons or a controller.

have you played the demo yet?
I recognize that, I'm not criticizing your implementation, exactly like you said I also think it's ok for what's available - even though it has its own misgivings. And I can call a touch screen control scheme bad or unfit for platformers because that's exactly what it is. I thought I explained my reasoning behind it clearly with the lack of tactile feedback.

Of course I tried the demo, otherwise I wouldn't bother posting. I tried it, and to no surprise it's not the best. If you want to jump directly up, you have to tap above the center of the screen, with your fingers blocking the display. Also the demo doesn't do any justice as it's extremely simplistic and the player moves in a grid which is something unusual to the genre (which doesn't mean it can't be done, it's just not the best way to prove the concept).

A

aha

If you want to jump directly up, you have to tap above the center of the screen, with your fingers blocking the display.
This could be avoided if the middle side of the screen would have been used for jumping.

For the grid movement i think you should increase the speed of the player or make the tiles a little bit smaller (or even both).

D

Dengar

ive updated the movement and also added edge grabbing.
let me kno what you think.

New download is in main post.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dengar

after watching a few ppl play the demo, I think ive relised why ppl have trouble with it.
everybody tries to play it like angry birds where u tap the character and drag in the direction you want to move. this obviously doesn't work that well.

this control scheme is meant to simply tap or hold in the direction you want to move. so if you want to move right just hold ur finger on the right side of the screen.

another thing is that its grid based so once you get used to it its extremely easy to know exacly where ur gonna land or move to. there isn't any "oops I moved a little too close to the edge and now ive fallen off" its either u moved off the edge or you didn't.

anyway im still looking for feedback that doesn't include "platformers suck on mobile" or "you need onscreen buttons".
thanks everyone :)