• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

UPDATE - Konkey Kong

Raoul

Hi,
I enjoy reprogramming very old games from scratch and this time I went for the good old Donkey Kong.
Really loved that game in the arcade back in mid 80s and when I got a C64 I tried to program it in Basic.
I literally wrote, in Italian language, something like:
10 I want a game where I am a plumber who needs to jump barrels to reach the top of each level, etc etc

Still can't understand why my C64 compiler did not succed in running the game I wanted :)

For this project I have spent dozens of hours recording and watching videos from the original (emulated) game, and took note of every trigger and timing so that every frame would show at the correct original timing.
I decided to mantain the most of the bugs I could find in the original game.

Completion status is over 90% at this point.
- Game is designed at its original resolution of 224x256 pixels (but starts in full screen), and 60 FPS.
- All 4 original levels are present.
- Game logics, controls, collisions are fully implemented.
- Score saving is functional (it saves scores in clear ini file).
- Animations and scripted sequences among levels are also present.

What is missing:
- Most of the sounds
- Enemies (Flames)
- Joypad support
- Swap level 2 and 4
- New level(s)?

Once finished I am willing to add a brand new level, I can also consider to implement someone's else level design.
One very crazy idea would also be to add a 2nd player simultaneosly on screen, so that levels are completed if both players do the needed, but this would break the current game logic and might require a lot of code to be rewritten.

I hope someone is interested to try it and provide feedback, suggestions, report bugs! :)

Links to latest Beta:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IdSVS5HJhvdurkr21LkMS1A7fUcMvzOa

https://80s-arcade-games.itch.io/donkey-kong-arcade-redux

Game Controls:

Arrows Keys: Movement
CTRL: Jump
Space: Start Game - Skips Presentation/Cut Scenes
ESC: Exit Game
P: Pause Game
I: Toggle image color interpolation (Blur filter)
V: Toggle Vsync (Enabled by default)

Last edited:

Raoul

For those who loved the original game, you can't miss to watch this lovely live action short film :)

Raoul

I finally completed the barrels object, that was though really!

Also noticed that original game updates hmov for mario 2 times out of 3, I hadn't noticed before so I had to rewrite the code portion taking care of lateral movement.

If you play the game level one should now feel like the original one, be aware hammer don't work yet.

I counted pixels and frames so that at each given frame the scene is a replica of the old one game.

By working on it I realized how much work the orginal programmer(s) put on this game. Considering they were programming a Z80 directly via registry pointers and memory addresses, doing the same with GML makes me feel so lucky :)

Please have a try at it, download link below.
Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j9qlDR044X-VW1nKNx5nDuSV465wqzHQ

S

scribbler_jones

Hi! I'm just now finding this thread - and I had been looking for something to help me understand how this classic game was made! Any chance I could trouble you for the source code? I'd love to learn how you did it!