Windows [UPDATE-12-04-19] Magic Tomb - 3D dungeon crawler with grid base and big pixels

B

bhr

Hello!

I'm working on an simple old-school grid-based dungeon crawler with 3D first person view and 2D sprites. Actually, you have a little level to play, with only one class of character - Knight.

Character details :
  • STRenght - DEXterity - MAGic - LeVeL - EXPerience
  • 1 weapon (with DAMage) - 1 shield - 1 helmet - 1 armor (combined protection value on ARMor)
  • LIFE and MANA
STR is used for the swords, DEX is used for the bow, MAG and MANA are used for fireball spell.
  • An inventory with 20 slots, you can place every items in it, with a little text when mouse is placed on it.
Controls :
  • Numeric pad - 8 foward - 5 backward - 4 slide left - 6 slide right - 9 turn left - 7 turn right
  • Or AZEQSD / QWEASD
  • Escape to go back in the menu, and reset game
  • ALT+Enter to switch full-screen/window
  • Press and hold L + move mouse for 360° mouse look
  • Left mouse button : take items from 3D screen or inventory - release them on the 3D screen or inventory - activate doors...
  • Right mouse button : use items from inventory if available (like drink potion, light torch on and off) - attack ennemy when click on weapon
  • [ Edit ] - F5 save - F9 load - F12 delete savegame - F4 change keyboard map (AZERTY / QWERTY)
To take items on 3D screen, you have to be one grid square away in front of it.

There is different types of ennemies (with almost no animations), a mini-map, doors with and without key, secret buttons, lever with trap (you can fall below), teleport, flagstone, alcove....

Some sound fx and music have been added.

(For the moment graphics are black-white-grey, but it may be coloured in the future.)

- Here is the link to download -

Video :

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerX

Is this Rogue-like in the mean that the mobs are moving only when I move?
Also, once thing I don't like with many late loot games is how its infinite and then you die and start over. I hate the die and start over part so.... are you doing that?
(what those game should do in my opinion is either just revert to last save or restart same floor/dungeon with your equipment available on the floor)

Morendral

Is this Rogue-like in the mean that the mobs are moving only when I move?
Also, once thing I don't like with many late loot games is how its infinite and then you die and start over. I hate the die and start over part so.... are you doing that?
(what those game should do in my opinion is either just revert to last save or restart same floor/dungeon with your equipment available on the floor)
thats the whole point of a rogue-like, otherwise it would be an rpg or somethig else

B

bhr

@Morendral

Graphics come from OpenGameArt.org, credits to the creators will of course be included in any official release.

@RangerX

No, mobs are moving all the time since the begining of the level, sometimes they are restricted in areas. For the moment yes, when you die, you start at the begining of the game but it's not my goal, I would like to restart at last saved game. Save and load is quite tricky to implement I guess, no work on that yet. But don't worry, this demo level is very small (and not very hard) so it's not a big deal to end it :)

B

bhr

@NazGhuL

Yes, d3d_set_fog with a little trick for "shaking" torch light, d3d_set_projection_ext for POV and d3d_draw_block / d3d_draw_wall for elements of the world.

Also application_surface_draw_enable + surface_resize + draw_surface_stretched to have the 3D view in a part of the full window

B

bhr

@The-any-Key

That's the point :) bringing old computer's RPG style. But I agree, I remember struggle with my 386 to get DOS games working (slowly) :)

B

bhr

Here is an update with save and load functions, just one slot, use with F5 to save, F9 to load, and F12 to erase slot. Dying load automaticaly savegame, also there is other ennemies, and another little level.

- Link to download -

B

bhr

Updated, the map is now dynamicaly generated, not static anymore, and you can place the weapons and armors pieces on the inventory.

I'm working on throwing weapons such as a bow, it's not yet very good so it's not included in this update. Next will also be a fireball spell..!

B

bhr

Here is an update, now there is 3 characters playable (knight, ranger, sorcerer), a bow (with infinite arrows, and a range of 2), a fireball spell (range of 3), and a third little level.

The spell cost mana which can be recovered with potions, and also it recovers automaticaly 1 point every 10 seconds.

Please note that the game is more customised for the knight, as you find more armors and weapons that make sense for this character. (For example, it doesn't feel very good to have a sorcerer with a heavy helmet or armor to gain protection, would be better with a magical cloak.)

You can level up, after 50 xp.

Now you can use also QWEASD for movement (or AZEQSD), and switching between AZERTY and QWERTY keyboards is possible with F4

- Link to download -

D

David Montgomery-Blake

This looks great. I love the B&W graphics. It really gives it a retro GameBoy feel. If you colorize them, it'll be a retro Bard's Tale/Might & Magic feel, so it depends on what you're going for. But it's a solid start that looks great!

B

bhr

Thank you! Yes you're right, that's the kind of question I'm asking me for the graphics. In fact, as I'm not good on creation, I search for other graphics packs that would suit to the project. As I found this quite complete B&W pack, it's great to begin without spending a lot of time on this part!

B

bhr

A few fixes and improvements, like 4 sided sprites for some monsters, move controls can stay pressed, some sounds fixed...

- Link to download -

Kyon

Whoa this has atmosphere. Looks great. Nice job! :)

Only thing I would maybe change is the font, and how the text isn't consistent aligned inside the little squares.

RangerX

Heyyyy, its cool you still live! I love this little project.
Do you plan on having cadavers on the ground? I'd feel the progression more. I doubt the way monsters disappearing right now

B

bhr

@Kyon I agree, I didn't look so much to which font I could use, and some characters position was approximate :)

@RangerX Thanks for checking back! I'm working veryyy slowlyyy on this project as I don't have much time to dedicate..! Good idea for the cadavers, I will try.