• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Up To Date Tutorials?

K

Kajortoq

Hey, I'm just starting to get into GameMaker but I've hit a wall pretty much right away. All the big tutorials I can find and the official ones listed on Yoyo's website are all outdated apparently and the code doesn't work with 2.3. Specifically, I've mostly been trying to work with the spacerocks one but the first bit alone comes back with an error.
Everything I've looked at to try and get around that has gone clean over my head since I pretty much no nothing at all to start with.

Are there any up to date tutorials anywhere to help start from scratch? Otherwise, is reverting back to an older version an option to at least get familiar with everything then trying to figure out the new code an alright option?

Slyddar

It's actually not that hard to adjust an old tutorial to 2.3, and once you've worked it out for one, it's the same tricks each time.
A couple of things to look out for :
1/ Every script that is created, now needs to be placed inside a function. You can have any number of functions in one script. The format is as such :
Code:
function script_name(type arguments here, separated by commas) {
  //type the script here using the argument names from above where needed
}
2/ Room ordering is different. To change the order of rooms click the little house icon next to the room names and change the order in the room manager.

Most else is just minor changes and shouldn't affect tutorials too much. I believe Yoyo are working on new tutorials, but there are not too many at the moment, where as there are a wealth of older tutorials which will show you everything you need. Sure it's painful, but if you invest time and just start learning it will eventually be a non issue.

woods

there are alot of little things that have changed between 1.4 and 2.3...
things like:

instance_create(x, y, obj);
instance_create_layer(x, y, layer_id, obj);

but if you take a quick shot at the manual or even google search you can find the right format...
the important thing about tutorials is to learn the logic and flow of HOW it works.. you cant get this with following a blind copy paste style tute....

the take away is the LOGIC BEHIND IT

then its just a matter of looking up the proper syntax
===

also there is a wealth of knowledge with the people here on these forums that are willing to lend a hand.. you're in a good spot here

btw... welcome to the gamemaker community ;o)

edit:
if you post the error message you got and the relevant code... along with a handful of things youve tried to fix it... itll be alot easier to help you out

samspade

My tutorials are up to date!

The few that are not are market as such in their name.

Here is a full one on methods and functions that are all correct for 2.3: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwgH1hDD0q1ER5zMGUVH_HT0tkgf_yyA5

And of course this guide for converting (including dealing with the main issues from the space rocks tutorial).

K

Kajortoq

So what I was trying to start with it just to make a sprite move or spin rather for this one.

The first thing I had put in was this:

Code:
if(keyboard_key(vk_left)){
        image_angle = image_angle + 5;
    }
if(keyboard_key(vk_right)){
        image_angle = image_angle - 5;
    }
I got an error message spat at me on that one so I dug in the manual a bit and I think I'm supposed to define functions on my own so I tried it with this:

Code:
function movementleft () {
    if(keyboard_key(vk_left)){
        image_angle = image_angle + 5;
    }
}
function movementright () {
    if(keyboard_key(vk_right)){
        image_angle = image_angle - 5;
    }
}
But that didn't work either. I wasn't entirely expecting it to since it was kinda just a shot in the dark so I'll dig through the manual some more.

My tutorials are up to date!

The few that are not are market as such in their name.

Here is a full one on methods and functions that are all correct for 2.3: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwgH1hDD0q1ER5zMGUVH_HT0tkgf_yyA5

And of course this guide for converting (including dealing with the main issues from the space rocks tutorial).
Thanks! I'll take a look at these and hopefully they'll get me on a better footing.

Nidoking

keyboard_key(vk_left)
I think you did not dig into the Manual nearly enough.

keyboard_key is a variable that holds the value of the last key pressed. It is not a function. It cannot be called like a function.

keyboard_check is a function that tells you whether a key is currently being pressed.

Good luck on your further digging through the Manual. I recommend actually reading the pages for the functions/variables you are using as a first step to understanding.

samspade

As @Nidoking said, keyboard_key is a built in varaible, and keyboard_check_* is the group of functions you want, otherwise your code looks good. As a side note, built in variables turn green and functions turn orange (at least by default) so you can never use a green variable as a function—e.g. keyboard_key(). Also when you're typing and the auto help comes up it tells you on the left whether the thing is a function or a built in variable which is another helpful way to distinguish between them.